View Poll Results: WHAT DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Take this job and learn the cache' studio.

3 33.33%
  • Take this job and keep searching for other vb6 jobs.

4 44.44%
  • Dont take this job and keep on searching for vb6 jobs.

0 0%
  • Search for a new kind of job like a teacher etc...

0 0%
  • Search for .NET jobs Not just VB6

2 22.22%

Thread: [RESOLVED] I don't know what to do, please advice me!!

Resolved [RESOLVED] I don't know what to do, please advice me!!

Hello all,
    I'm looking for a job at the moment and got an offer from a company to work for them .
    the problem is they don't have visual studio, they have cache' studio.

i search for it over the net and found this:
    cache' master index

and this:
    using cache' studio

its look like vb but it is called CACHE'!

i worked 5 years on vb6 and i'm afraid to lose my knowledge for this cache' lang.

can you advice me what to do?
    what would you do?

Thank you all in advance,
    ERAN
    Eran Fox
    ASSEMBLER,C,C++,VB6,SQL...

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Re: I don't know what to do, please advice me!!

Lets hear a bit more about the company.

Are they are software vendor that makes, markets and commerical distributes their own products? If so, and they are making money using this cache thing (which I'd never heard of), then it might be worth looking into, at least for the short term.

Regardless of what they do, do you know if they are financially stable?

Hello Hack,
    well they are not Hi-Tech Company.
    they use this software for inside use only.
    they have branches in romania,jorden,china...
    they don't want to go using vb.net because cache' is able to work with it.

they are making undergarments. (i saw a lot of NICE posters...)

So what do you think?

Best Regards,
    ERAN
    Eran Fox

Quote Originally Posted by eranfox
    So what do you think?
    Do you have any other job offers, or any job prospects on the immediate horizon?

How desperately do you need a job at the moment?

LA, Calif. Raiders #1 AKA:Gangsta Yodaâ„¢

You could always take this job and enjoy the scenery for awhile and continue looking for a VB job until one comes up.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda™ ®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    Do you have any other job offers, or any job prospects on the immediate horizon?

How desperately do you need a job at the moment?
    I did'nt have a lot of job offers,
    most of the job offers in my country are for JAVA,VC++ or DOT NET Programmers.
    because i don't have much knowledge and experience in C#/VB.NET i can only look for VB6 jobs... and there is a small quantity of vb6 job offers.

am i desperate?
    the answer is : YES i am desperately need a job at the moment!!!

i'm waiting for an interview in Hi-Tech company next sunday, i hope to pass the exams there...

ERAN
    Eran Fox

YES i am desperately need a job at the moment!!!
    Then you probably can get both of those issues solved at the company with the job offer. I say go there and maybe learn .NET on your own time so you can get into the newer technology and make better $$$$. C# is hot over here but any .NET is highly sought after.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I did'nt have a lot of job offers,
    Impliying, of course, that you did have some.
    because i don't have much knowledge and experience in C#/VB.NET
    That depends on the experience level they are looking for. At the moment, there really aren't a whole lot of people in the market place that do have a ton of experience with this technology so I wouldn't necessarily not apply because of this. Lord knows that if I had only applied for jobs for which I was completely qualified, I would have been unemployed for vast stretches of time. My general rule of thumb was if I can spell it, I'll apply for it, and see what happens
    i can only look for VB6 jobs... and there is a small quantity of vb6 job offers.
    I wouldn't necessarily restrict myself to this just because you know it better than the .NET framework. I once got a 6 month gig doing Java coding and I could barely spell Java at the time (I almost fell over when my account manager called me and told me I got the job. )
    am i desperate?
    the answer is : YES i am desperately need a job at the moment!!!
    RobDog888 has good advice if you are that desperate.
    i'm waiting for an interview in Hi-Tech company next sunday, i hope to pass the exams there...
    Cross fingers, thumbs and anything else crossable.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888

I say go there and maybe learn .NET on your own time so you can get into the newer technology and make better $$$$.
    C# is hot over here but any .NET is highly sought after.
    Hello RobDog888,
    I don't think i will have spare time to learn C# Because i will have to use it to learn all about the cache'.

Thank you for the advice, after i saw it i created a poll about this issue.

Best Regards,
    ERAN
    Eran Fox

Hello RobDog888,
    I don't think i will have spare time to learn C# Because i will have to use it to learn all about the cache'.

Thank you for the advice, after i saw it i created a poll about this issue.

Best Regards,
    ERAN
    If you already know C++ then the transition to C# should be fairly simple. I'm a VB programmer, but I was able to pick up the fundamental basics of C# rather quickly. On the other hand, I've dabbled with C++ and found it completely confusing.

Cross fingers, thumbs and anything else crossable...
    If you already know C++ then the transition to C# should be fairly simple...
    Thanks Hack,
    about C++, well... maybe i should change my signature because it was very long time ago and it was in REAL TIME job Under PSOS OS.

Now i can say i know VB6 more than C++.

ERAN

ps: How can i change the poll options?
    Eran Fox

Thanks Hack,
    about C++, well... maybe i should change my signature because it was very long time ago and it was in REAL TIME job Under PSOS OS.

Now i can say i know VB6 more than C++.
    Well, I would hold out as long as possible before I took the cache studio job. It may come down to that, and the bottom line is that you have to pay the bills, but I would continue to explore whatever other options are available for as long as I could. Even then, if you take the job, keep looking.
    ps: How can i change the poll options?
    Not sure. I've never started a poll before.

Incidentally, take a look at this thread in the C# section. You can download that and play around with it on your own time. There are books available, and of course, this forum, if have you with/answer questions you might have. Even though it was a while ago, you do have the C experience. I'm sure it would all come flooding back.

Hello Hack,
    Thanks a lot!!!

I searched the net for new jobs and found some already posted my CV...
    hope it will get to the right places/people...

Thank You and RobDog888 for your time!

ERAN
    Eran Fox

Eran, if you dont see the edit poll option when you edit your first post then I can do it for you. What modifications do you want?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888
    Eran, if you dont see the edit poll option when you edit your first post then I can do it for you. What modifications do you want?
    Hello RobDog888,
    I cant see the edit poll option ...
    I was just thinking about what Hack wrote:
    I wouldn't necessarily restrict myself to this just because you know it better than the .NET framework.
    So maybe to ADD a new option "Search for .NET jobs Not just VB6"
    Or to replace the last option.

Thank you in advance,
    ERAN
    Eran Fox

There are a couple advantages to item 1, but I didn't vote that way, because there are other considerations.

I don't know how it is in the world of programming (I'm a fish biologist, programming is not part of my title, nor is it part of my official job description), but work environment matters a whooooole lot. I doubt you should work at a job you don't enjoy, or in a setting you don't enjoy, unless you are making so much money that you won't have to work there long.

Personally, I would be looking for a group of people that would be good to work with/for. This is relatively easy to evaluate in biology (we tend to be driven by similar passions that don't relate to money), but may not be so easy for you to determine.

Keep in mind that few here have ever heard of cache. This is actually a plus for that job, in my opinion. You certainly seem like you have the capacity to learn the language in good time, though you might not be all that familiar with it now. By the time you learn it well, you will have a niche market skill. I know programmers who have leveraged that into high pay. They don't have the same general skills that make them competitive in the general market, but the skills they have are so rare that for the places that want that language, the pay is better.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I added the new option instead since going into a different profesion is different then looking for a .NET job.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker
    ... By the time you learn it well, you will have a niche market skill. I know programmers who have leveraged that into high pay. They don't have the same general skills that make them competitive in the general market, but the skills they have are so rare that for the places that want that language, the pay is better.
    Hello Shaggy Hiker,
    I'm not good in biology but as a biologic you should know that some species had gone from this world - vanished.

my great fear is that cache' although it can interact with the .NET will become a endangered niche market language.

Ps,I issumed work environment will be the same for all the options.
    Thank you for your kind reply
    ERAN

I added the new option instead since going into a different profesion is different then looking for a .NET job.
    Hello RobDog888,
    Thank you!
    ERAN
    Eran Fox

Cross fingers, thumbs and anything else crossable.
    Hello Hack i don't believe in anything - not God of any religion and not in any superstition BUT...
    Please Keep your fingers crossed for me ,i hope i will get a position in a Hi-Tech Company - Tomorrow i will have a second interview - i hope it will be to close on salary etc...and yes its in vb6 and sqlserver with a wink towards vb.net.

ERAN
    Eran Fox

Hello Hack i don't believe in anything - not God of any religion and not in any superstition BUT...
    Please Keep your fingers crossed for me ,i hope i will get a position in a Hi-Tech Company - Tomorrow i will have a second interview - i hope it will be to close on salary etc...and yes its in vb6 and sqlserver with a wink towards vb.net.

ERAN
    If it is even remotely close in salary take it. You will be working with technologies that you can take with if the job doesn't work out.

*Crosses everything crossable*

Post back and lets us know the results of the interview.

Yes, I agree with Hack. Its the experience that is the most valuable thing here. Once you have it in the technology you want, you will have all the doors opening for you to go where ever you want from there.

Good luck

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Hello Hack,RobDog888,
    Thanks guys for your support...
    Tomorrow, after i'll get back home from the interview i will post here what was there. (i dont know if this is a correct english but... i hope you understand it)

Ps, about the first company (the one with the cache' programming language)
    I have a second interview there on Thursday so i really hope to close tomorrow with the other company (vb).

ERAN
    Eran Fox

Well, good luck then.

It'll be interesting to hear.

However, I would be remiss if I were not to point out that, regarding the first job, it's cache as cache can.

Hello Everybody,
    Sorry to disappoint you, but i had only a personal interview and a reliability check.
    So if after this they will see that i'm good for them they will call me for a last interview to close on salary etc...

Hack i'm sorry but if you have the strength, keep Crosses everything crossable...

Best Regards,
    ERAN
    Eran Fox

Hello Everybody,
    Sorry to disappoint you, but i had only a personal interview and a reliability check.
    So if after this they will see that i'm good for them they will call me for a last interview to close on salary etc...

Hack i'm sorry but if you have the strength, keep Crosses everything crossable...

Best Regards,
    ERAN
    I'm not the one that needs the strength Eran.

Everything continues to be crossed!

Hello Hack,
    i was just being hypothetical.
    How long can a person hold on Crossing everything crossable...

I GET MY STRENGTH FROM MYSELF,MY WIFE AND THE KIDS ,FROM MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS AND FROM VBFORUMS.COM!!!

ERAN
    Eran Fox

I GET MY STRENGTH FROM MYSELF,MY WIFE AND THE KIDS ,FROM MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS AND FROM VBFORUMS.COM!!!

ERAN
    So, do I.

Hello Hack , RobDog888 , Shaggy Hiker And all the others in this great forum!!!

Finally, I got the job in a Big HighTech Corp.

It took a few interviews but finally today somthing like four hour ago, i signed a contract and it feels great!!!

I will work on VB6 and MSSQLServer and gradually will work with .NET !!!

Thanks a LOT guys you don't know me but you gave the support i needed like a close family!!!

Hack, you can now uncross everything crossable

Best Regards,
    see you at the VBForums,
    ERAN
    Eran Fox

Re: [RESOLVED] I don't know what to do, please advice me!!

Best of luck then.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

Congratulations!! I hope you enjoy it there, it sounds like it should be good.

Congratulations, but one piece of advice: Don't put clear gatorade in the office water cooler. Listen to this voice of experience: some people love it, but it takes WEEKS to get the taste out of the plastic, and you may find youself the focus of a tampering investigation.

But otherwise, enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by abhijit
    Best of luck then.
    Hello abhijit,
    Thank you!!!
    ERAN

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek
    Congratulations!! I hope you enjoy it there, it sounds like it should be good.
    Hello si_the_geek,
    Thank you!!!
    I think now its your turn to get a new job!!!
    Best Regards,
    ERAN

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker
    Congratulations, but one piece of advice: Don't put clear gatorade in the office water cooler. Listen to this voice of experience: some people love it, but it takes WEEKS to get the taste out of the plastic, and you may find youself the focus of a tampering investigation.

But otherwise, enjoy.
    Hello Shaggy Hiker,
    Thanks for the advice
    ERAN
    Eran Fox

Hello Hack , RobDog888 , Shaggy Hiker And all the others in this great forum!!!

Finally, I got the job in a Big HighTech Corp.

It took a few interviews but finally today somthing like four hour ago, i signed a contract and it feels great!!!

I will work on VB6 and MSSQLServer and gradually will work with .NET !!!

Thanks a LOT guys you don't know me but you gave the support i needed like a close family!!!

Hack, you can now uncross everything crossable

Best Regards,
    see you at the VBForums,
    ERAN
    Yeah!!!!!!!!! I was getting cramps.

Congratulations. Before you know it you will be a regular contributor for answering questions in the .NET section. Have you started the job yet?

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

Can I uncross my cross-eyes now?

... Have you started the job yet?
    Hello Hack!
    Thanks again for your replies to this thread!!!
    I will start working there next sunday.
    Next thursday i will start a .NET course. (basically it will be a C# course)

So eventually, i found myself winning the jackpot!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mendhak
    Can I uncross my cross-eyes now?
    Hello mendhak,
    If you can control it then Yes! you can now uncross your cross-eyes!
    But if you cant control it then i think you better go and see an optometrist!!!

Best Regards,
    ERAN
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by eranfox; Dec 7th, 2005 at 12:24 PM.
    Eran Fox

I will start working there next sunday.
    You start your new job on a Sunday?

You start your new job on a Sunday?
    Hello Hack,
    well, in my Country Sunday is the first day of the week.

we start to work on sundays and the week ends on thursdays
    so we have friday and saturday as rest days.

i know that for some religions like Christianity sunday is a rest day unlike Judaism or Islamic ,there the rest day ,as i mentioned, is saturday (and also friday)

as i said before:
    ... i don't believe in anything - not God of any religion and not in any superstition BUT...
    i'm just folowing the rules of my country, so if i will work in a "Christian" country i will rest on subdays...

ERAN
    Eran Fox