Thread: Remove Item from Window List

Addicted Member

Remove Item from Window List

Hello Guys. Prob not possible... but is there any way not through the API to remove a form from the File Menu Windowed List... I have some toolbars that are going to stay up there the whole time anyways, so having them just out of the window list makes perfect sense.

If it can't be done w/o api, what is the code.

Re: Remove Item from Window List

In the menu editor just make sure you dont have any top level menus checked under "WindowList". That will remove the entire "Window" menu item.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Addicted Member

No that's not what I'm talking about... I have a MDI Parent. I have childs spontaneously generated. I also have some static forms that exist by default... these are the toolbars. I want everything but the toolbars to show in the Window List. Is this possible?

You mean Dialog Toolbox Windows that will sit on top off all windows in your app or actual toolbars like in IE for navigation?
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

If you mean always on top Toolbox windows then set the Toolbox window forms MDIChild property to False so it wont get listed in the Window List.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Addicted Member

That works, but I still want it to appear to be a MDI Child. Is there some sort of hack for this?

Hmm, maybe you could try the RemoveMenu API but since the Window menu is automatic it may just get re-added everytime a mdi child form is opened.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Addicted Member

ok I will check into that... thanks. Even if I need to set it to a timer or such that may work.

Instead of a timer draining resources you could try subclassing your main MDI form and trap the WM_INITMENUPOPUP for when a top level menu is clicked in preparation of displaying a submenu.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011