Thread: Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication

Exclamation Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication

If any of you have ever tried to access a SQL box on a network, from a laptop for instance, that is not part of the domain.

You will remember getting an error:

Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection
    This problem also happens when you VPN connect to an outside network - and attempt access to the remote network through the VPN.

You can get around this error, on WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL machines by:

START>CONTROL PANEL>USER ACCOUNTS

ADVANCED TAB...MANAGE PASSWORDS...

Click Add and then load the SERVER NAME of the SQL BOX on the other network and the WINDOWS AUTHENTICATION username and password that would give you authentication on that network!

From that point on you have credentials to access that server without actually logging in to that domain.

I was very impressed!
    Last edited by szlamany; Oct 14th, 2005 at 01:07 PM.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Re: Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication

You should send a PM to si_the_geek and ask him to make this a part of the Tutorials And Tips sticky thread at the top of the forum.

This isn't something that should get lost in the thread shuffle.

Thanks a lot for sharing...
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Fanatic Member

sorry..where did i get Advanced Tab?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

1st NF - a table should not contain repeating groups.
    2nd NF - any fields that do not depend fully on the primary key should be moved to another table.
    3rd NF - there should be no dependency between non key fields in same table.
    - E. Petroutsos -

eRiCk

A collection of "Laku-abis" Ebook, Permanent Residence

Access Reserved Words, a Classic Form Bug, Access Limitation, Know run Process and the Lock they hold in, Logging User Activity in MSSQL,
    Kill Database Processes

Quote Originally Posted by erickwidya
    sorry..where did i get Advanced Tab?
    Is that PC currently in a domain, or simply a workgroup? You can find that out by right-clicking on MY COMPUTER and going to the COMPUTER NAME tab. Does it list a DOMAIN there?

Did you switch to classic view in the CONTROL PANEL? You do have XP PROFESSIONAL - right?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Fanatic Member

s that PC currently in a domain, or simply a workgroup? You can find that out by right-clicking on MY COMPUTER and going to the COMPUTER NAME tab. Does it list a DOMAIN there?

Did you switch to classic view in the CONTROL PANEL? You do have XP PROFESSIONAL - right?
    yes..i have XP Proffesional SP1..the PC is in Workgroup not using domain..

i think i switched it to Classic but can't find to restore it

2nd NF - any fields that do not depend fully on the primary key should be moved to another table.
    - E. Petroutsos -

eRiCk

Access Reserved Words, a Classic Form Bug, Access Limitation, Know run Process and the Lock they hold in, Logging User Activity in MSSQL,
    Kill Database Processes

I don't have a non-domain computer, but MSDN says...

How to Manage Stored User Names and Passwords
    To manage stored user names and passwords, follow these steps:
    1. Log on to the computer as the user whose account you want to change.
    2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    3. In Control Panel, click User Accounts under Pick a category to open the User Accounts dialog box.
    4. Open the Stored User Names and Passwords dialog box; to do so, use the appropriate method:• If you log on with a limited account:a. Under Related Tasks, click Manage my network passwords.

• If you log on with an account with administrative privileges:a. Under or pick an account to change, click your user account to open the What do you want to change about your account? dialog box.
    b. Under Related Tasks, click the Manage my network passwords.

A list of stored user names and passwords similar to the following example is displayed:
    *.Microsoft.com
    Passport.Net\*(Passport)
    Does that work for you?

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Fanatic Member

Does that work for you?
    yes i found one that simillar to this with some different :
    A list of stored user names and passwords similar to the following example is displayed:
    my_user_name@hotmail.com.com
    Passport.Net\*(Passport)
    i guess i need to add UserName and Password at Selected Window right?
    thx szlamany
    Attached Images Attached Images  

- E. Petroutsos -

eRiCk

Kill Database Processes

Yes - that is it...

I was on a windows 2003 terminal server system today and saw "Stored Usernames and Passwords" - that is the same dialog box that WinXP Pro has...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

What about this on a Windows 2000 Professional workstation thats not logged on to the domain?

ta

kai
    As the information I give is useful in its nature, consider using the RATE POST feature located on the bottom left of this post please..

A few things that make a good Developer a Great One.
    Methodical and a thorough approach to research and design inevitably leads to success.
    Forward thinking is the key to Flow of control.
    Never test in the design environment, always test in real time, you get the REAL results.
    CBSE & OOSE are the same animal, they just require different techniques, and thinking.
    SEO is a globe of objectives, SE rankings is an end to a means for these objectives, not part of them.
    The key to good design is explicit attention to both detail and response.
    Think Freely out of the "Box" you're in..... You will soar to better heights.

Kai Hirst - MSCE, MCDBA, MCSD, MCP, MCAP, MSCT

Quote Originally Posted by kaihirst
    What about this on a Windows 2000 Professional workstation thats not logged on to the domain?

ta

kai
    I am not 100% sure, but I believe all this came about with XP and 2003.

I did some google searches and MSDN searches and could not find anything.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

ok cheers.

will give it a go next time ive got the opportunity and let you know.

cheers

kai
    As the information I give is useful in its nature, consider using the RATE POST feature located on the bottom left of this post please..

A few things that make a good Developer a Great One.
    Methodical and a thorough approach to research and design inevitably leads to success.
    Forward thinking is the key to Flow of control.
    Never test in the design environment, always test in real time, you get the REAL results.
    CBSE & OOSE are the same animal, they just require different techniques, and thinking.
    SEO is a globe of objectives, SE rankings is an end to a means for these objectives, not part of them.
    The key to good design is explicit attention to both detail and response.
    Think Freely out of the "Box" you're in..... You will soar to better heights.

Kai Hirst - MSCE, MCDBA, MCSD, MCP, MCAP, MSCT

I am trying to get this working on Sql 2005 Standard using a Vista non domain workstation.

I can get this working on XP professional using these instructions. I am unable to get it working with VISTA. I have tried VISTA Business Edition.

Anyone get this working?

Welcome to the forum!

I've not got Vista installed yet on any of our development machines.

I'll PM someone who does and see if they can help.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Hi,

sorry to bump such an old post, but I'm having the exact same problem using Vista Business as jon.vickers posted before me and was wondering if someone found a solution yet

Welcome to the forum!

I still don't have Vista installed on any workstations here - let's see who jumps into this thread with an answer.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

What I've found/done so far:

I've used the runas.exe to run the application as my domain user
    I've entered the server IP in "control userpasswords2" so it should always use those credentials connecting to the SQL server

What I can't do:
    Enter the ODBC connector using the correct setting because Vista checks the current NT logon credentials against the SQL server and won't save the DSN unless it succeeds.

I'm now trying to figure out how to manually edit the registry to add the DSN connection, in other words circumventing the check performed by the ODBC GUI.