Thread: autocomplete in access fields

autocomplete in access fields

I have a massive db with queiries, reports, tables and etc...

They decided they want an auto complete for each field...so they can just type the first few letters and options show up... we all know what auto complete is

So, is it possible to auto complete fields in access? Or am I up a creek?

www.google.com - Pay Tribute.

Always Listening To: Thrice

Re: autocomplete in access fields

Moved to Database Development forum

Well it depends on where the "fields" are.. are they on a form?

If there are combo boxes on forms then your part way there. Set the AutoExpand property to True. Then it will autocomplete as they type completing as the text is matched to the items in the combo.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888
    If there are combo boxes on forms then your part way there. Set the AutoExpand property to True. Then it will autocomplete as they type completing as the text is matched to the items in the combo.

I need it to be more complicated.

We have over65 different records, combo boxes will only autoconplete for that one record, i need some way to autocomplete for ever record

What do you mean "autocomplete for every record"? Not autocomplete for each entry in the combo box?
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

for every record...

So if the user creates a blank record, the typed information from records from the past will autocomplete for the future... just like iexplore autocomplete, just for access...

maybe a macro?

Ok, then there needs to be a unique identifier across the records like a ClientID number or such?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Im not sure, i want to emmulate I.E's autocomplete over new forms...

Only way i can think is to maybe try something in visual basic

Perhaps a little more explaination would help me. Can you give me an example scenerio?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

want the database? and you will see what i mean :x

If its not too large or confidential.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Too big? Nah, Confidential? Yes... But i cleared all of the records... so we are ok

Just make a few test records...

I want to auto complete

Form Type
    Lease #
    Lease Term
    Survey
    Abstract
    Prospect

its 1.26 megabytes... want me to email it to you or something?

Ok, so when you type into the Form Type field it can easily be changed to a combo box. But to autopopulate the record they would have to enter the Lessor info first (change to be the first tab?). This would allow us to create a query to retrieve the lessors past history records. Then populate the controls based upon the lessors last record.

Does the Lessor sound like the correct primary identifier for the record population?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Should I make a new field, Just for autocomplete. Then change the fields that i want to auto complete into textboxes, and bind those two fields and then turn on autopopulate....

Seems like the only way, that way if a user changes records...the saved info from the record before is still there.

But that only works 1 textbox a time, Im hoping there is some universal way to do this?

The thing is how are you going to determine what record to autopopulate the form with? Like I said, could it be based upon the Lessor?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Yes it could, i suppose...

Tell me you have an idea

If you figure out a simple way of doing this rob, just put it on the database.... email it to me and i will finish it up.

The thing I was thinking was to have the Lessor textbox changed to a combo box populated with distinct Lessors. Then when the user selects one as the first thing, it will query the table and retirieve the lastest record and populate all the revelant controls. Sounds like about the only way to get it autopopulated.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

that sounds like a pain in the foot to do that for over 20 textboxes...

Hrmm... there has to be an easier way...

just make a vb prog, and copy that tab exactly in vb and copy the texboxes... link them to the database, and then make an autocomplete in visual basic6?

You could do that too but its still going to require a db call to retrieve the record to populate across the textboxes. Easier to keep in Access since there is no need to go to VB6.

After the db call to get the related Lessors record, you only need to populate the textboxes. If you have 10 textboxes then an extra 10 lines of code after the db call. Not hard at all. Easier then rewritting in vb6.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Ok i just changed them to combo boxes and turned on phase predict. But it isnt auto completing at all....

Have any ideas? Got any ideas on how to complete combox jobs?

Instead of PhrasePredict use the AutoExpand property. That should do it.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011