Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: God Help Us: Rita

Addicted Member

God Help Us: Rita

Those in Texas are already starting to see the writing on the wall especially after Katrina. Rita is ever inching it's way towards the gulf and it's quite scaryto say the least.

Evacuations may be called as early as Wed. For someone that lives near the gulf (about 1 hour away from galveston island) and near houston our family may be leaving the comforts of our home which we have called for over 12 years. I expect this to cause prices at the pump to swell again (to record highs) Our area since we are a major oil producer seem to have the lower of the prices.... yet I don't know what will happen in the future days.

May God Help us!
    So if you feel so desired please not only say a prayer for those affected by Katrina, but those potentially going to be impacted by Rita! Not saying it is going to hit us (even though sat. and projection paths say so). For all we know it could strike back again in New Orleans (Heaven Forbid)

As for me, our family will likely evacuate up north with some family, we should be alright for those wondering.

Sorry if the idea's are a little scattered, just have a LOT on the brain with all this right now.

For those interested, you can view the following pictures of the storm which may help you.
    -------------------
    5 Day Projected Path
    Radar View of Storm
    View of Storm from Weather Channel.com

I will try to keep these links updated and make sure of acuracy and status.

Re: God Help Us: Rita

Who gives them those stupid names? And why would you name a hurricane anyway?

P.S: Don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for everyone affected by these, and all other natural disasters.

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baja_yu
    Who gives them those stupid names? And why would you name a hurricane anyway?

P.S: Don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for everyone affected by these, and all other natural disasters.
    Naming Hurricanes

Wow. Just like I expected. It's a complete load.
    They started it because of a book? Why couldnt they just use the date, like it is used for earthquakes? Maybe they should start naming them too.
    I'm willing to vote that this is a bunch of crap.

Planet Xeoroaniar CC Posts:1,928,453,459,361

Quote Originally Posted by DJHotIce
    May God Help us!
    So if you feel so desired please not only say a prayer for those affected by Katrina, but those potentially going to be impacted by Rita!
    For a start he isn't going to help you and I think they are going to need more than prayers
    Life is one big rock tune

In God we trust, everyone else pays cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Valleysboy1978
    For a start he isn't going to help you and I think they are going to need more than prayers
    A curious response.

For a start: do you believe in God? If you do, then I'm sure you do know Him personally, and have asked Him what he intends to do in the light of another severe weather event on the Gulf coast. What bewilders me is that he hasn't let the local authorities know the same thing?

If you don't believe in God, then how can you say that He won't help. 'He' doesn't exist, so the concept of Him helping must be mute and void. Indeed, if you have anyway of quantifying the effect of prayers (which I'm sure you do - as you've stated that they'll '...need more than prayers') I'd be grateful if you'd share it.

Either way I don't think your response is particularly pleasant in the circumstances, do you?
    "As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Albert Einstein

It's turtles! And it's all the way down

Now you see my point in over complicating things.

There is a surprisingly large percentage of people who say they are praying for those affected by Katrina/Rita, yet they will generally not put their hands in their pockets to give a few pounds (or dollars) to help. It just infuriates me how they believe that if the pray for the victims they are doing everything they can to help. They are not.

Now you see my point in over complicating things.

There is a surprisingly large percentage of people who say they are praying for those affected by Katrina/Rita, yet they will generally not put their hands in their pockets to give a few pounds (or dollars) to help. It just infuriates me how they believe that if the pray for the victims they are doing everything they can to help. They are not.
    I'm afraid I don't see your first point.

Your last point is good one. Shame you didn't just say what you mean, originally.
    Last edited by yrwyddfa; Sep 20th, 2005 at 10:06 AM.
    "As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Albert Einstein

I'm not always that good at explaining what I mean
    I am surprised however how quickly the news has passed on to other things. Especially when all they end up reporting is that Britney has called her boy "Preston"
    HOLD THE PRESSES!!!

I'm not always that good at explaining what I mean
    I am surprised however how quickly the news has passed on to other things. Especially when all they end up reporting is that Britney has called her boy "Preston"
    HOLD THE PRESSES!!!
    Maybe she conceived the child at the North End terraces . . .

Classy bird

I remember going there when they still had a plastic pitch.

Hate to burst your bubble of negativity, but it's still big, big news here. And as far as people donating - not everyone can - but as of two weeks ago - private donations of cash alone exceeded 700 million. Not sure where that stands now.
    Here's to us!
    Who's like us?
    Darned few, and they're all dead!

Hyperactive Member capsulecorpjx's Avatar

I'm pretty sure many people in New Orleans also prayed ... hard before Katrina hit. Instead of getting their asses out of there.

New Orleans btw is a very religious city. They name their counties parishes. So all the religious nuts who think God sent this hurricane as a punishment against non-believers are wrong.

So pray all you want. It won't do anything.

This is cultural evolution at work. People who rely on blind faith and do nothing in times of peril will perish.

Quote Originally Posted by yrwyddfa
    A curious response.

For a start: do you believe in God? If you do, then I'm sure you do know Him personally, and have asked Him what he intends to do in the light of another severe weather event on the Gulf coast. What bewilders me is that he hasn't let the local authorities know the same thing?

If you don't believe in God, then how can you say that He won't help. 'He' doesn't exist, so the concept of Him helping must be mute and void. Indeed, if you have anyway of quantifying the effect of prayers (which I'm sure you do - as you've stated that they'll '...need more than prayers') I'd be grateful if you'd share it.

Either way I don't think your response is particularly pleasant in the circumstances, do you?
    "I like to run on treadmills, because at least I know I'm getting nowhere."
    - Me

Quote Originally Posted by capsulecorpjx
    I'm pretty sure many people in New Orleans also prayed ... hard before Katrina hit. Instead of getting their asses out of there.

New Orleans btw is a very religious city. They name their counties parishes. So all the religious nuts who think God sent this hurricane as a punishment against non-believers are wrong.

So pray all you want. It won't do anything.

This is cultural evolution at work. People who rely on blind faith and do nothing in times of peril will perish.
    I don't understand. What exactly do you think is positive, either culturally, or evolutionary, about this sort of stance? Next you'll be telling me it's progressive.

Everyone in England lives, dies, and marries in a parish (even the civil ceremony is noted on parish records) I think you'll find that England must rate as one of the most secular countries in the world.

I don't understand. What exactly do you think is positive, either culturally, or evolutionary, about this sort of stance? Next you'll be telling me it's progressive.

Everyone in England lives, dies, and marries in a parish (even the civil ceremony is noted on parish records) I think you'll find that England must rate as one of the most secular countries in the world.
    So if America was being wiped out by the Black Plague, and praying didn't really help. I'm wrong to say hey, maybe prayer doesn't work, because its not "positive"?

Religious sheep like you are the reason why there is so little rational thought.
    Especially people of the Hebrew derived religions (Islam, Christianity, Judaism).

"Just have faith, don't ask questions." Thats your mantra.
    - Me

Religious sheep like you are the reason why there is so little rational thought.
    Especially people of the Hebrew derived religions (Islam, Christianity, Judaism).

Isn't it funny then that people look towards religious, "private", schools as bestowing its students with an education that has more quality than public schools.

I agree indeed.

A curious response.

I find your respond very unpleasantly sarcastic. Sorry.

So you perish in a parish?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Still trying to get my tounge untangled for a response to that.

'He' doesn't exist, so the concept of Him helping must be mute and void.
    Object reference not set to an intance of an object

No place like 127.0.0.1 eyeRmonkey's Avatar

0.999... <> 1
    Because:
    a) 1/(1-1)
    b) 1/(1-0.999...)
    a is undefined, b is infinity.
    a <> b
    True, and to extend that:
    The limit as x approaches 0 of 1/x is undefined
    AND
    The limit as x approaches 0 of 1/x from the left is negative infinity
    AND
    The limit as x approaches 0 of 1/x from the left is negative infinity.
    Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition (.NET Framework 2.0)
    ~ VB .NET Links: Visual Basic 6 to .NET Function Equivalents (Thread) | Refactor! (White Paper) | Easy Control for Wizard Forms | Making A Proper UI For WinForms | Graphics & GDI+ Tutorial | Websites For Free Icons
    ~ QUOTE: Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rich Cook

~ eyeRmonkey.com

<unpleasant bit>

if they think praying will protect them from nature's force then by all means let them try. We could do with a bit of thinning out the herd.

</unpleasant bit>
    A post brought to you by the Grim Reaper Appreciation Society™

"Buy your lifetime subscription now and save on your coffin"

I am not
    (i) religious
    (ii) a sheep
    You are an idiot, however.
    Last edited by yrwyddfa; Sep 21st, 2005 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoBull
    I find your respond very unpleasantly sarcastic. Sorry.
    That was the general idea . . .so please don't apologise.

Quote Originally Posted by NotLKH
    Isn't it funny then that people look towards religious, "private", schools as bestowing its students with an education that has more quality than public schools.
    That is odd. I wonder if there's any empirical evidence to support/disprove the case?

Some good points raised here. How many of those that stayed believed unequivocally in god saving them I wonder?
    As for religious private schools providing a better quality education? Perhaps but that is likely due to their smaller student numbers and larger budget. Besides, the students may be highly educated but they will not function well in society because private school students often have a superior attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Pipp
    <unpleasant bit>

if they think praying will protect them from nature's force then by all means let them try. We could do with a bit of thinning out the herd.

</unpleasant bit>
    So why don't you suicide and thin us out of trolls =P
    Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by eyeRmonkey
    True, and to extend that:
    The limit as x approaches 0 of 1/x is undefined
    AND
    The limit as x approaches 0 of 1/x from the left is negative infinity
    AND
    The limit as x approaches 0 of 1/x from the left is negative infinity.
    What thread was this supposed to be posted in?

The one which says that 1.0 = 0.99r.

I am not
    (i) religious
    (ii) a sheep
    You are an idiot, however.
    Wait how can you say that you're not religious when you say you believe in God and prayer in a previous post?

And you are a sheep. When I suggested that prayer has no effect, you try to brush it off by saying that its not "culturally positive" to say that, which I think is a very sheepish argument.
    - Me

Wait how can you say that you're not religious when you say you believe in God and prayer in a previous post?

And you are a sheep. When I suggested that prayer has no effect, you try to brush it off by saying that its not "culturally positive" to say that, which I think is a very sheepish argument.
    Please point out exactly where I say I believe in God, then? I think you'll find that I haven't.

Therefore you still remain an idiot. After all: every village needs it's plank.

When I suggested that prayer has no effect
    I doubt you could quantify that. I doubt you could find any empirical evidence one way or the other with regards to the effectiveness of prayer.

It stands, that you - living in a secular society, having adopted it's morality and sensibility- without rhyme or reason dismiss the very notion of prayer as being effective at any level. The only reason you seem to imply this, is that 'cos it is; init' I can't see any support of your argument (that which God does not exist, and therefore prayer is meaningless) anywhere in your posts. You just blurt it out because it was the first thing that entered your dull head. Now that's a sheep.

Perhaps that's a little generous. A sheep doesn't have a big black void that the TV fills up when it gets a bit uncomfortable.
    Last edited by yrwyddfa; Sep 22nd, 2005 at 02:59 AM.

I doubt you could quantify that. I doubt you could find any empirical evidence one way or the other with regards to the effectiveness of prayer.

It stands, that you - living in a secular society, having adopted it's morality and sensibility- without rhyme or reason dismiss the very notion of prayer as being effective at any level. The only reason you seem to imply this, is that 'cos it is; init' I can't see any support of your argument (that which God does not exist, and therefore prayer is meaningless) anywhere in your posts. You just blurt it out because it was the first thing that entered your dull head. Now that's a sheep.

Perhaps that's a little generous. A sheep doesn't have a big black void that the TV fills up when it gets a bit uncomfortable.
    That's the yrwyddfa I expect. Making the case based on it's merits, not on your personal belief (except for the bit about the assumption that TV is the opiate for the capsulecorpse. I tend to expect TV to be the opiate for just about everybody, but it isn't always the case).

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker
    That's the yrwyddfa I expect. Making the case based on it's merits, not on your personal belief (except for the bit about the assumption that TV is the opiate for the capsulecorpse. I tend to expect TV to be the opiate for just about everybody, but it isn't always the case).
    I hate television, but it is the opiate for the masses, as you point out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast