Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Contest 6 - Sudoku solver - Discussion

Re: Contest 6 - Sudoku solver - Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Merri
    ...and make it ~4.7 ms
    That's the way to go, I was kind of expecting you to say something like that. Once you figure it out, there are certain things that can be optimized when you go guessing and backtracking. They're not a lot of things but they make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by dukuso
    put all sudokus in one file, one row per sudoku
    What does that have to do with anything?
    "Feel the force...read the source..."
    Utilities: POPFileDebugViewProcess ExplorerWiresharkKeePassUltraVNCPic2Ascii
    .Net tools & open source: DotNetNukelog4NetCLRProfiler
    My open source projects: Thales SimulatorEFT CalculatorSystem Info ReporterVSS2SVNIBAN Functions
    Customer quote: "If the server has a RAID array, why should we bother with backups?"
    Programmer quote: "I never comment my code. Something that is hard to write should be impossible to comprehend."
    Ignorant quote: "I have no respect for universities, as they teach not practicle stuff, and charge money for"

No place like 127.0.0.1 eyeRmonkey's Avatar

I think he was reffering to how to process multiple sudokus. I personally like multiple files more.
    Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition (.NET Framework 2.0)
    ~ VB .NET Links: Visual Basic 6 to .NET Function Equivalents (Thread) | Refactor! (White Paper) | Easy Control for Wizard Forms | Making A Proper UI For WinForms | Graphics & GDI+ Tutorial | Websites For Free Icons
    ~ QUOTE: Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rich Cook

~ eyeRmonkey.com

The more the Merrier.
    ~ VB .NET Links: Visual Basic 6 to .NET Function Equivalents (Thread) | Refactor! (White Paper) | Easy Control for Wizard Forms | Making A Proper UI For WinForms | Graphics & GDI+ Tutorial | Websites For Free Icons
    ~ QUOTE: Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rich Cook

~ eyeRmonkey.com

Woot! I am so happy. I can finally solve all but 6 of NotLKH1. The only reason I can't solve those 6 are because I don't have a backtracker yet. .5-3 ms each, but that will hopefully go down a ton after I start doing real optimizations.

~ eyeRmonkey.com

input,output and timing is much easier, when you allow multiple
    solutions and just count the solutions instead of printing them.

e.g.:

230400 solutions, 15sec*GHz = 1.5e10 CPU-cycles.
    Only one puzzle needed for the whole contest !
    Last edited by dukuso; Aug 13th, 2005 at 01:32 AM.

my 100 hardest sudokus:
    http://magictour.free.fr/top100
    284ms*GHz

dukuso, I think we have already decided that sudokus with multiple solutions are not considered "proper" and that we aren't going to use them.

~ eyeRmonkey.com

then maybe for the next contest on another webpage using another language...
    And you can still use them here "inofficially" for comparing your solvers.
    I'm planning to use the winning program for rating hard sudokus -
    provided it does perform well on hard sudokus and not only on the easy ones.

VB6, XHTML & CSS hobbyist Merri's Avatar

input,output and timing is much easier, when you allow multiple
    solutions and just count the solutions instead of printing them.

e.g.:

230400 solutions, 15sec*GHz = 1.5e10 CPU-cycles.
    Only one puzzle needed for the whole contest !
    Interesting... my solver counts this in 4600 ms. It gives a valid answer, 230400 solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by eyeRmonkey
    I like that idea, but it is probably up to manavo for the final decision.

I was also wondering if we could get a final say-so as to wether the judges will be testing compiled code or in the IDE? It would just make me feel more confident in what I am testing. If they do it compiled I would assume most optimizations would be on? Of course that could cause some programs to crash, but if they did crash, then they probably wouldn't have won anyway? Can give word on this subject manavo?
    You people post too much

Don't know how to test... But however it is, all the entries will be marked with the same standards so don't worry

Has someone helped you? Then you can Rate their helpful post.

Quote Originally Posted by NotLKH
    Do you think the requirements should be tweaked a bit?
    It seems that many of you can handle processing directories of submissions en masse.
    Let's see

For the contest, it would seem like it'd be easier to judge if the progie, upon clicking "Start", that it should query for a source directory, whereby all the .msk files reside that need to be solved.

As each one is solved, the solution you've generated would be outputted to a directory parrallel to the source directory, generated by you, and recognizably named after your username. Also, once solved, a timing file is created, with the time you've detected it took to solve a submission.
    I like the idea, and that way we can test a lot of sudokus instead of manually putting a few

An option control would also be resident on your form, to toggle between "Silent" mode, and "Visual" mode {ie.. just outputing to screen your solutions, as you solve them.}
    Doesn't seem that important a "feature"...

Thus, as the judges run each entrant, all they have to do is build a compiler to return the results of ALL the entrants, plus it would also compare the entrants solutions against the "official" .sol file.

This way, you could place any optimizations into the form_load event that you want, that don't need to ever be regenerated when you do mass processing.

-Lou
    I like the idea I have to read farther down to see the rest of the posts and compare... Hold on

NotLKH: I don't like the idea as such, I want some freedom to the design. So cleaned up:

- there must be an option to pick a folder with the sudokus
    Yes

- the folder files must be easy to benchmark
    What exactly do you mean?

- the timing results must be outputted so that they're viewable by the user
    In a seperate file I guess, a list with all of them and the times or something like that.

- the solutions should be outputted into a user configurable directory if the user wants
    That's the whole point, to compare them after

I don't want to create a separate "silent" mode. I have added some visual candy so that it is easier for a human to check if the results are valid... though these are just nice extra. But the above mentioned changes/requirements should be enough?
    Doesn't seem that important the silent mode...

Well, I don't disagree with what you've suggested,
    however, the timings should also not only be viewable, but also outted to a data file.

That way the judges won't have to manually tabulate the results, especially if they use the number of puzzles I can potentially provide.
    Yes

The "Silent" mode is just a streamlining, so that the judges don't have to put up with screen outputs & updates.
    Never mind with this, it's not a big issue...

And, your suggestion to be able to "Pick" a folder, well, again, all well and good. But Pasting the path is what I'd prefer, or even Drag and Drop, if I was forced to run/judge the entrents.
    In inputbox or something to input a dir is just fine, nothing fancy.

Alright then, to sum it up :

-Prompt for input of the directory containing the sudokus
    -Read all sudoku files in the specified folder
    -Output the solved sudoku in a folder in the app path folder with the username of the contestant
    -Time and keep track of the time for each sudoku solved and output in a list at the end

Is this about it? Any other suggestions? Did I miss anything? :

Only a small addition: "include a feature to output the solved sudoku within a folder in the app path folder with the username of the contest" - I don't want the program to output the sudokus each time I do something, that'd kill my laptop's harddisk (it is a slow one, listening to music can kill it every now and then).

On the other news... I finally coded a new logic to my code instead of optimizing the old ones. It is successful enough, NotLKH1 now below 4 ms. Overall I were very happy to see the new logic drop the required time in many of the sudokus

On the sad news, it seems I don't have many logic choices left... most are too complex to code, they'd just slow down the execution.
    Last edited by Merri; Aug 13th, 2005 at 11:00 AM.

my 100 hardest sudokus:
    http://magictour.free.fr/top100
    284ms*GHz
    I threw together a program to split these into .msk files.
    Attached Files Attached Files

~ eyeRmonkey.com

Only a small addition: "include a feature to output the solved sudoku within a folder in the app path folder with the username of the contest" - I don't want the program to output the sudokus each time I do something, that'd kill my laptop's harddisk (it is a slow one, listening to music can kill it every now and then).
    So how do you suggest we show what our solver got as a solution?
    Last edited by eyeRmonkey; Aug 13th, 2005 at 12:25 PM.

~ eyeRmonkey.com

Because the same function is used, I don't see a problem? My program can actually solve the puzzle without displaying the result or storing it in any way. However, I can get it if I want to. Codewise:

- OpenSudoku (Function Boolean)
    - PrepareSudoku (Sub ByRef SudokuBoard() As Byte)
    - ReturnSudoku (Sub ByRef SudokuBoard() As Byte)
    - SolveSudoku (Function Boolean)

If I call OpenSudoku, it returns True if it opens the file. OpenSudoku also calls PrepareSudoku which initializes the sudoku for processing. Currently this function seems to be able to open any known sudoku file format.

If I call PrepareSudoku, I give it a byte array with a puzzle in it. It then initializes the sudoku for processing.

If I call ReturnSudoku, I give it a byte array in which I want to have the current puzzle. It then fills this byte array (and resizes it if need be) with the values.

If I call SolveSudoku, it solves the current puzzle. It returns False if it fails (and it will do that only if you give it an invalid sudoku).

I have thought about adding SaveSudoku. Anyways, the point with the above: I don't need to think about returning a completed sudoku or problems with opening a file. Example code:

VB Code:
    1. OpenSudoku "c:\test.sdk"
    2. SolveSudoku

It opens the file and solves it. No need to display it or get a return value.

VB Code:
    1. Dim SudokuBoard(80) As Byte
    2. PrepareSudoku SudokuBoard
    3. SolveSudoku
    4. ReturnSudoku SudokuBoard
    5. MsgBox StrConv(SudokuBoard, vbUnicode)

This code solves an empty board and shows the results as a one lined string in a message box.

Edit Duh, probably misread it before... I show my results visually, but there is no problem doing an other kind of output.

Well, thanks for giving me about 20 tips as to how to modify my program to me more like yours.

My point is that I ASSUME yours can only display 1 board at a time visually. That doesn't allow for mass processing AND mass output. So either the tester has to ensure that function to check the validity of a sudoku is correct or the tester needs to solve 1 at a time and compare the visual results with the actual solution in some way.

~ eyeRmonkey.com

PowerPoster

I threw together a program to split these into .msk files.
    It seems that I have a LOONG way to go...
    Code:
    dukuso's_hardest_000.msk    SOLVED in 1,814.934859 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_001.msk    SOLVED in 20,988.223364 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_002.msk    SOLVED in 1,084.403185 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_003.msk    SOLVED in 7,949.478775 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_004.msk    SOLVED in 517.331672 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_005.msk    SOLVED in 688.069573 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_006.msk    SOLVED in 28.336004 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_007.msk    SOLVED in 34.762239 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_008.msk    SOLVED in 116.598339 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_009.msk    SOLVED in 180.910982 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_010.msk    SOLVED in 1,317.542872 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_011.msk    SOLVED in 816.710504 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_012.msk    SOLVED in 63.958408 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_013.msk    SOLVED in 66.043031 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_014.msk    SOLVED in 29.587839 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_015.msk    SOLVED in 349.861784 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_016.msk    SOLVED in 822.774403 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_017.msk    SOLVED in 1,103.592216 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_018.msk    SOLVED in 7,181.811375 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_019.msk    SOLVED in 1,841.077288 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_020.msk    SOLVED in 478.773420 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_021.msk    SOLVED in 127.953134 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_022.msk    SOLVED in 1,874.943324 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_023.msk    SOLVED in 1,569.060034 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_024.msk    SOLVED in 3,256.705810 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_025.msk    SOLVED in 1,184.486576 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_026.msk    SOLVED in 1,127.795851 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_027.msk    SOLVED in 525.698378 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_028.msk    SOLVED in 641.548018 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_029.msk    SOLVED in 4,680.740709 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_030.msk    SOLVED in 2.567365 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_031.msk    SOLVED in 2,191.370691 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_032.msk    SOLVED in 1,568.653279 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_033.msk    SOLVED in 926.920042 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_034.msk    SOLVED in 72.577939 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_035.msk    SOLVED in 1,122.788511 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_036.msk    SOLVED in 17,217.268955 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_037.msk    SOLVED in 3.290642 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_038.msk    SOLVED in 158.018407 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_039.msk    SOLVED in 2,711.075849 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_040.msk    SOLVED in 4,585.880887 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_041.msk    SOLVED in 235.107255 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_042.msk    SOLVED in 7,684.072696 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_043.msk    SOLVED in 2,694.652533 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_044.msk    SOLVED in 94.306679 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_045.msk    SOLVED in 3.803835 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_046.msk    SOLVED in 1,171.015031 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_047.msk    SOLVED in 492.836939 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_048.msk    SOLVED in 1,336.245249 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_049.msk    SOLVED in 1,851.328311 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_050.msk    SOLVED in 1,563.441443 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_051.msk    SOLVED in 229.470226 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_052.msk    SOLVED in 1,751.772362 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_053.msk    SOLVED in 5,373.513952 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_054.msk    SOLVED in 3.258794 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_055.msk    SOLVED in 2,124.089794 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_056.msk    SOLVED in 362.830751 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_057.msk    SOLVED in 697.073511 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_058.msk    SOLVED in 3,070.439399 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_059.msk    SOLVED in 31.392537 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_060.msk    SOLVED in 592.567491 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_061.msk    SOLVED in 131.283725 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_062.msk    SOLVED in 5.294528 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_063.msk    SOLVED in 186.337370 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_064.msk    SOLVED in 499.935327 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_065.msk    SOLVED in 2,933.956690 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_066.msk    SOLVED in 3,703.020635 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_067.msk    SOLVED in 81.654791 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_068.msk    SOLVED in 1,566.145418 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_069.msk    SOLVED in 16.566351 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_070.msk    SOLVED in 6,697.108990 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_071.msk    SOLVED in 138.773783 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_072.msk    SOLVED in 3,035.243027 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_073.msk    SOLVED in 2,812.802465 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_074.msk    SOLVED in 1,645.052933 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_075.msk    SOLVED in 71.782028 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_076.msk    SOLVED in 1,567.040783 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_077.msk    SOLVED in 4.113372 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_078.msk    SOLVED in 160.286852 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_079.msk    SOLVED in 209.047519 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_080.msk    SOLVED in 1,637.917668 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_081.msk    SOLVED in 158.578255 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_082.msk    SOLVED in 106.245906 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_083.msk    SOLVED in 422.900117 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_084.msk    SOLVED in 586.114716 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_085.msk    SOLVED in 343.262901 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_086.msk    SOLVED in 276.229521 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_087.msk    SOLVED in 100.897181 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_088.msk    SOLVED in 585.171858 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_089.msk    SOLVED in 75.375781 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_090.msk    SOLVED in 5,191.501993 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_091.msk    SOLVED in 1,175.437940 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_092.msk    SOLVED in 2.269283 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_093.msk    SOLVED in 2,440.270202 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_094.msk    SOLVED in 7,537.211852 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_095.msk    SOLVED in 327.713718 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_096.msk    SOLVED in 111.759176 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_097.msk    SOLVED in 1,912.464852 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_098.msk    SOLVED in 38.651560 milliseconds !
    dukuso's_hardest_099.msk    SOLVED in 19.043202 milliseconds !
    Files Processed: 100, Total Solved: 100, Total time: 172,901.809588, Average Time: 1,729.018096

PowerPoster

Well, thanks for giving me about 20 tips as to how to modify my program to me more like yours.
    Could you highlight those 20 tips somehow ? Cuz I didn’t get any tips from anyone, maybe I’m just too blind to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by CVMichael
    Could you highlight those 20 tips somehow ? Cuz I didn’t get any tips from anyone, maybe I’m just too blind to see them.
    Well maybe its just because my program is so messed up to start with, but he uses a bunch of things that seem much faster that what I am using. I'm not gonna tell you if you don't know. You probably don't see them because you are already doing things similar to what he posted.

I get the feeling you are doing something wrong because nothing takes me more than 20 ms in the IDE and nothing takes more than 6 ms in .EXE.

I wish this contest wasn't a contest because I am so curious to see how everyone is doing what they are doing. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

~ eyeRmonkey.com

I've been giving so many tips here that it is making me sick! You can conclude all kinds of stuff from what I've said. A programmer needs his social skills too!

eyeRmonkey: I could do mass output while doing benchmarking for example. Because of the interface, it is easy to use the solver as I like. Currently the visual view isn't linked to my benchmarker in any way.

More sudokus! These include the hardest I've found so far. Beware the minimal sudokus!
    Attached Files Attached Files

PowerPoster

You can clearly see when my backtracker kicks in...
    Code:
    000.txt - 2.5243 ms
    001.txt - 1.6399 ms
    002.txt - 3.6608 ms
    003.txt - 3.8343 ms
    004.txt - 1.3488 ms
    005.txt - 4.3369 ms
    006.txt - 1.9092 ms
    007.txt - 2.1768 ms
    008.txt - 2.3430 ms
    009.txt - 1.8094 ms
    010.txt - 1.4924 ms
    011.txt - 2.3746 ms
    012.txt - 1.9064 ms
    013.txt - 2.5506 ms
    014.txt - 1.8986 ms
    015.txt - 1.5441 ms
    016.txt - 1.4773 ms
    017.txt - 1.4980 ms
    018.txt - 1.6913 ms
    019.txt - 1.5793 ms
    020.txt - 1.2935 ms
    021.txt - 1.2429 ms
    022.txt - 1.0985 ms
    023.txt - 1.1085 ms
    024.txt - 2,165.0185 ms
    025.txt - 1.2644 ms
    026.txt - 1.5725 ms
    027.txt - 2.4539 ms
    028.txt - 3.1381 ms
    029.txt - 1.6276 ms
    030.txt - 2.3740 ms
    031.txt - 2.1142 ms
    032.txt - 2.0883 ms
    033.txt - 2.2978 ms
    034.txt - 2.6434 ms
    035.txt - 1.0959 ms
    036.txt - 1.2834 ms
    037.txt - 1.5156 ms
    038.txt - 2.1260 ms
    039.txt - 1.0806 ms
    040.txt - 13.0533 ms
    041.txt - 1.6441 ms
    042.txt - 2.5411 ms
    043.txt - 14.7834 ms
    044.txt - 1.7553 ms
    045.txt - 1.5991 ms
    046.txt - 1.5955 ms
    047.txt - 1.3334 ms
    048.txt - 1.5172 ms
    049.txt - 1.2474 ms
    050.txt - 1.4616 ms
    051.txt - 1.7994 ms
    052.txt - 1.3764 ms
    053.txt - 1.3692 ms
    054.txt - 1.9201 ms
    055.txt - 1.4960 ms
    056.txt - 6.2961 ms
    057.txt - 3.2194 ms
    058.txt - 1.8399 ms
    059.txt - 1.3069 ms
    060.txt - 1.1180 ms
    061.txt - 1.3627 ms
    062.txt - 1.1957 ms
    063.txt - 1.0683 ms
    064.txt - 1.8108 ms
    065.txt - 1.1515 ms
    066.txt - 1.4250 ms
    067.txt - 4.3992 ms
    068.txt - 1.9536 ms
    069.txt - 1.2256 ms
    070.txt - 1.1806 ms
    071.txt - 1.5387 ms
    072.txt - 1.6038 ms
    073.txt - 2.5154 ms
    074.txt - 1.5642 ms
    075.txt - 4.5545 ms
    076.txt - 2.0142 ms
    077.txt - 13.1447 ms
    078.txt - 2.1045 ms
    079.txt - 1.8279 ms
    080.txt - 1.3678 ms
    081.txt - 1.2217 ms
    082.txt - 1.5798 ms
    083.txt - 1.3865 ms
    084.txt - 1.3111 ms
    085.txt - 1.7122 ms
    086.txt - 2.7124 ms
    087.txt - 1.4714 ms
    088.txt - 2.0648 ms
    089.txt - 1.4982 ms
    090.txt - 59.5964 ms
    091.txt - 23.1236 ms
    092.txt - 1.3370 ms
    093.txt - 14.7910 ms
    094.txt - 1.5555 ms
    095.txt - 46.4939 ms
    096.txt - 2.4076 ms
    097.txt - 1.5220 ms
    098.txt - 8.4944 ms
    099.txt - 23.8248 ms
    100.txt - 1.4287 ms
    101.txt - 1.4720 ms
    102.txt - 1.5854 ms
    103.txt - 1.3457 ms
    104.txt - 1.4080 ms
    105.txt - 1.5963 ms
    106.txt - 2.0964 ms
    107.txt - 1.5874 ms
    108.txt - 1.4552 ms
    109.txt - 1.6097 ms
    110.txt - 1.8703 ms
    111.txt - 3.0954 ms
    112.txt - 16.4867 ms
    113.txt - 67.2197 ms
    114.txt - 1.7905 ms
    115.txt - 1.5921 ms
    116.txt - 1.8402 ms
    117.txt - 35.7082 ms
    118.txt - 389.6585 ms
    119.txt - 1.6999 ms
    120.txt - 2.8425 ms
    121.txt - 586.9436 ms
    122.txt - 527.5914 ms
    123.txt - 123.2903 ms
    124.txt - 1.8921 ms
    125.txt - 3.0135 ms
    126.txt - 1.5739 ms
    127.txt - 1.2356 ms
    128.txt - 10.4108 ms
    129.txt - 4.1494 ms
    130.txt - 2.7478 ms
    131.txt - 1,927.2868 ms
    132.txt - 1,105.3690 ms
    133.txt - 1.2678 ms
    134.txt - 1.2742 ms
    135.txt - 1.3024 ms
    136.txt - 1.5410 ms
    137.txt - 1.2650 ms
    138.txt - 1.1406 ms
    139.txt - 1.4091 ms
    140.txt - 1.7388 ms
    141.txt - 1.5860 ms
    142.txt - 7.2414 ms
    143.txt - 4.7660 ms
    144.txt - 18.2314 ms
    145.txt - 1.2354 ms
    146.txt - 1.6661 ms
    147.txt - 2.3070 ms
    148.txt - 2.0656 ms
    149.txt - 4.6436 ms
    150.txt - 6.8964 ms
    151.txt - 3.2093 ms
    152.txt - 1.4150 ms
    153.txt - 1.1180 ms
    154.txt - 27.4661 ms
    155.txt - 1.4561 ms
    156.txt - 1.5779 ms
    157.txt - 1.2940 ms
    158.txt - 1.3762 ms
    159.txt - 1.0985 ms
    160.txt - 3.2728 ms
    161.txt - 1.3046 ms
    162.txt - 1.1054 ms
    163.txt - 1.0675 ms
    164.txt - 1.2166 ms
    165.txt - 1.0627 ms
    166.txt - 1.4940 ms
    167.txt - 1.2060 ms
    168.txt - 2.3274 ms
    169.txt - 1.1971 ms
    170.txt - 1.3309 ms
    171.txt - 1.9651 ms
    172.txt - 1.9438 ms
    173.txt - 237.1480 ms
    174.txt - 1.3985 ms
    175.txt - 1.1680 ms
    176.txt - 33.5540 ms
    177.txt - 3.2552 ms
    178.txt - 1.4963 ms
    179.txt - 1.0946 ms
    180.txt - 1.2113 ms
    181.txt - 5.6348 ms
    182.txt - 6.2782 ms
    183.txt - 26.4176 ms
    184.txt - 26.5500 ms
    185.txt - 68.9856 ms
    186.txt - 4.4967 ms
    187.txt - 1.6952 ms
    188.txt - 670.1908 ms
    189.txt - 198.3515 ms
    190.txt - 401.3748 ms
    191.txt - 479.8657 ms
    192.txt - 1.7092 ms
    193.txt - 3.3415 ms
    194.txt - 2.2631 ms
    195.txt - 2.6632 ms
    196.txt - 4.6738 ms
    197.txt - 1.7681 ms
    198.txt - 7.4711 ms
    199.txt - 2.3598 ms
    200.txt - 1.1496 ms
    201.txt - 1.2275 ms
    202.txt - 17.7031 ms
    203.txt - 1.1018 ms
    204.txt - 1.2094 ms
    205.txt - 1.2460 ms
    206.txt - 3.7854 ms
    207.txt - 1.3362 ms
    208.txt - 1.2080 ms
    209.txt - 1.2155 ms
    210.txt - 2.7040 ms
    211.txt - 4.0019 ms
    212.txt - 1.2261 ms
    213.txt - 1.2817 ms
    214.txt - 1.5742 ms
    215.txt - 1.3999 ms
    216.txt - 1.4611 ms
    217.txt - 1.9525 ms
    218.txt - 1.4502 ms
    219.txt - 1.3136 ms
    220.txt - 9.6685 ms
    221.txt - 1.3965 ms
    222.txt - 1.5614 ms
    223.txt - 1.0677 ms
    224.txt - 1.1895 ms
    225.txt - 1.3044 ms
    226.txt - 1.1222 ms
    227.txt - 1.6315 ms
    228.txt - 1.1457 ms
    229.txt - 1.4474 ms
    230.txt - 1.3091 ms
    231.txt - 2.2145 ms
    232.txt - 2.2321 ms
    233.txt - 214.5468 ms
    234.txt - 0.9127 ms
    235.txt - 0.9163 ms
    236.txt - 1.1158 ms
    237.txt - 1.5547 ms
    238.txt - 1.4602 ms
    239.txt - 1.9835 ms
    240.txt - 1.1862 ms
    241.txt - 1.7664 ms
    242.txt - 1.3854 ms
    243.txt - 3.3957 ms
    244.txt - 1.9391 ms
    245.txt - 2.2852 ms
    246.txt - 1.6265 ms
    247.txt - 3.0825 ms
    248.txt - 2.3813 ms
    249.txt - 1.6485 ms
    250.txt - 1.2588 ms
    251.txt - 1.5019 ms
    252.txt - 1.4295 ms
    253.txt - 1.9860 ms
    254.txt - 1.3041 ms
    255.txt - 1.2560 ms
    256.txt - 0.9501 ms
    257.txt - 2.3631 ms
    258.txt - 1.4809 ms
    259.txt - 4.0541 ms
    260.txt - 4.0631 ms
    261.txt - 2.0218 ms
    262.txt - 2.0195 ms
    263.txt - 2.2469 ms
    264.txt - 1.9678 ms
    265.txt - 2.0215 ms
    266.txt - 2.8962 ms
    267.txt - 109.0035 ms
    268.txt - 1.7986 ms
    269.txt - 3.2462 ms
    270.txt - 1.9257 ms
    271.txt - 1.6617 ms
    272.txt - 1.4591 ms
    273.txt - 37.5411 ms
    274.txt - 86.3216 ms
    275.txt - 1.5591 ms
    276.txt - 23.0764 ms
    277.txt - 24.5313 ms
    278.txt - 242.9060 ms
    279.txt - 53.6814 ms
    280.txt - 1.6443 ms
    281.txt - 2.1732 ms
    282.txt - 187.9719 ms
    283.txt - 227.5588 ms
    284.txt - 0.9300 ms
    285.txt - 1.0236 ms
    286.txt - 0.9417 ms
    287.txt - 0.9303 ms
    288.txt - 1.2446 ms
    289.txt - 1.2625 ms
    290.txt - 1.8128 ms
    291.txt - 1.1476 ms
    292.txt - 1.3999 ms
    293.txt - 4.5310 ms
    294.txt - 2.4685 ms
    295.txt - 1.1985 ms
    296.txt - 1.6913 ms
    297.txt - 1.8972 ms
    298.txt - 1.1985 ms
    299.txt - 1.2133 ms
    300.txt - 3.6063 ms
    301.txt - 1.6997 ms
    302.txt - 1.7290 ms
    303.txt - 2.3475 ms
    304.txt - 3.5611 ms
    305.txt - 1.2546 ms
    306.txt - 1.7466 ms
    307.txt - 1.2566 ms
    308.txt - 1.4812 ms
    309.txt - 1.2963 ms
    310.txt - 5.8952 ms
    311.txt - 1.4616 ms
    312.txt - 1.2756 ms
    313.txt - 1.7656 ms
    314.txt - 1.3309 ms
    315.txt - 1.9461 ms
    316.txt - 1.5927 ms
    317.txt - 1.7273 ms
    318.txt - 6.4869 ms
    319.txt - 6.9157 ms
    320.txt - 2.3590 ms
    321.txt - 1.4340 ms
    322.txt - 1.1091 ms
    323.txt - 5.1484 ms
    324.txt - 11.4285 ms
    325.txt - 21,115.4932 ms
    326.txt - 1.9827 ms
    327.txt - 1.1555 ms
    328.txt - 1.9019 ms
    329.txt - 1.7242 ms
    330.txt - 1.1974 ms
    331.txt - 1.2722 ms
    332.txt - 2.0813 ms
    333.txt - 1.2010 ms
    334.txt - 2.2743 ms
    335.txt - 4.8221 ms
    336.txt - 2.0695 ms
    337.txt - 2.2869 ms
    338.txt - 2.7138 ms
    339.txt - 5.9994 ms
    340.txt - 1.7100 ms
    341.txt - 2.1274 ms
    342.txt - 1.3647 ms
    343.txt - 1.7723 ms
    344.txt - 21.6606 ms
    345.txt - 1.5130 ms
    346.txt - 1.4669 ms
    347.txt - 1.4276 ms
    348.txt - 2.6095 ms
    349.txt - 2.7621 ms
    350.txt - 2.2874 ms
    351.txt - 3.0127 ms
    352.txt - 2.6696 ms
    353.txt - 1.3521 ms
    354.txt - 1.5318 ms
    355.txt - 1.8106 ms
    356.txt - 1.4516 ms
    357.txt - 1.4767 ms
    358.txt - 1.2449 ms
    359.txt - 1.9022 ms
    360.txt - 361.5337 ms
    361.txt - 236.3859 ms
    362.txt - 1.9494 ms
    363.txt - 2.6196 ms
    364.txt - 1.4915 ms
    365.txt - 2.5825 ms
    366.txt - 1.7539 ms
    367.txt - 1.4435 ms
    368.txt - 1.7161 ms
    369.txt - 1.7969 ms
    370.txt - 4.7042 ms
    371.txt - 3.0537 ms
    372.txt - 1.8821 ms
    373.txt - 1.7731 ms
    374.txt - 1.9718 ms
    375.txt - 1.4703 ms
    376.txt - 0.9954 ms
    377.txt - 4.3137 ms
    378.txt - 1.2261 ms
    379.txt - 1.3312 ms
    380.txt - 1.0878 ms
    381.txt - 1.3024 ms
    382.txt - 2.3120 ms
    383.txt - 2.0609 ms
    384.txt - 1.1166 ms
    385.txt - 2.3299 ms
    386.txt - 2.4400 ms
    387.txt - 1.1203 ms
    388.txt - 2.0933 ms
    389.txt - 1.2493 ms
    390.txt - 1.1144 ms
    391.txt - 1.2513 ms
    392.txt - 4.1773 ms
    393.txt - 3.7508 ms
    394.txt - 3.3091 ms
    395.txt - 1.0767 ms
    396.txt - 2.2911 ms
    397.txt - 2.5045 ms
    398.txt - 1.7458 ms
    399.txt - 9.1302 ms
    400.txt - 1.5270 ms
    401.txt - 1.2694 ms
    402.txt - 1.5899 ms
    403.txt - 6.9984 ms
    404.txt - 1.4055 ms
    405.txt - 3.1686 ms
    406.txt - 2.2707 ms
    407.txt - 1.2387 ms
    408.txt - 2.4092 ms
    409.txt - 1.5748 ms
    410.txt - 1.8944 ms
    411.txt - 1.7974 ms
    412.txt - 1.4086 ms
    413.txt - 1.2680 ms
    414.txt - 1.5644 ms
    415.txt - 1.6050 ms
    416.txt - 1.6125 ms
    417.txt - 1.3060 ms
    418.txt - 2.2151 ms
    419.txt - 1.3884 ms
    420.txt - 3.7485 ms
    421.txt - 2.0447 ms
    422.txt - 1.2345 ms
    423.txt - 1.7072 ms
    424.txt - 1.8807 ms
    425.txt - 4.9638 ms
    426.txt - 2.1145 ms
    427.txt - 2.5554 ms
    428.txt - 1.9374 ms
    429.txt - 2.1673 ms
    430.txt - 1.4885 ms
    431.txt - 17.9185 ms
    432.txt - 5.6007 ms
    433.txt - 2.5783 ms
    434.txt - 1.8189 ms
    435.txt - 1.8069 ms
    436.txt - 1.0962 ms
    437.txt - 1.9885 ms
    438.txt - 1.3789 ms
    439.txt - 1.1270 ms
    440.txt - 1.5904 ms
    441.txt - 1.7938 ms
    442.txt - 1.3627 ms
    443.txt - 1.2074 ms
    444.txt - 1.4555 ms
    445.txt - 2.3179 ms
    446.txt - 2.1503 ms
    447.txt - 1.0613 ms
    448.txt - 1.8025 ms
    449.txt - 1.2951 ms
    450.txt - 1.7851 ms
    Files Processed: 451, Total Solved: 451, Total time: 33,173.741076, Average Time: 73.555967
    I'm at the point of giving up on this thing, I've spent a TON of time on this, and I didn't make much improvement in speed.

I give you a BIG tip: make your backtracker use the same code you use for logic. My history: I first made my fast logic thingy, then I made a different backtracker, then I combined the both, then I saw I just couldn't make it good with the backtracker I had, I dumbed it out and made a new backtracker based on the existing logic.

Quote Originally Posted by CVMichael
    You can clearly see when my backtracker kicks in...
    I'm at the point of giving up on this thing, I've spent a TON of time on this, and I didn't make much improvement in speed.
    How did you get your times down to so low all of the sudden? The last set of times you posted were in the 50-1000 range. Now you have 1-2 ms and 1000-2000ms. Were the last speeds you posted from the IDE?

~ eyeRmonkey.com

For all the lurkers out there:

NotLKH1, 69 files, ~15ms
    NotLKH2, 532 files, ~187ms
    NotLKH3, 123 files, ~55ms
    Merri's Hardest, 337 files, ~513ms
    Dukuso's Hardest, 100 files, ~275ms

No time for minimum sudokus as they don't have the format of the rest *.msk files. Attaching an image of my user interface - nothing fancy here. I output solutions of all directory *.msk files on the clipboard like:

Code:
    Filename: E:\Projects\dotNetProjects\_Personal_\Soduku\bin\FILES\0003_0003_022.msk
    Solved in 0,46628574 ms

Filename: E:\Projects\dotNetProjects\_Personal_\Soduku\bin\FILES\0004_0001_022.msk
    Solved in 0,34931381 ms

My tip: when you're done applying logic rules and you have to start guessing, don't just start with the first empty cell. Finding the right cell makes a huge difference in speed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Feel the force...read the source..."
    Utilities: POPFileDebugViewProcess ExplorerWiresharkKeePassUltraVNCPic2Ascii
    .Net tools & open source: DotNetNukelog4NetCLRProfiler
    My open source projects: Thales SimulatorEFT CalculatorSystem Info ReporterVSS2SVNIBAN Functions
    Customer quote: "If the server has a RAID array, why should we bother with backups?"
    Programmer quote: "I never comment my code. Something that is hard to write should be impossible to comprehend."
    Ignorant quote: "I have no respect for universities, as they teach not practicle stuff, and charge money for"

Oh, oops. I didn't notice the format difference, my solver can load several file formats Actually, any file... It is fun to try to load Windows system files and see if there happen to be any valid sudokus!

Humm... wonder if I'll...

...I shall persist!

...no...

...what is this weird feeling...

...I can't hold it! NO!

NotLKH1: 2.9 ms (0.042 ms per file)
    NotLKH2: 39 ms (0.073 ms per file)
    NotLKH3: 13 ms (0.106 ms per file)
    NotLKH4: 37 ms (0.071 ms per file)
    Hardest: 85 ms (0.252 ms per file)
    dukuso's TOP 100: 38 ms (0.38 ms per file)
    Minimum: 73 ms (0.162 ms per file)

There we go.

Btw... should I some time actually solve a sudoku by myself? Still have never solved one.

I suggest, at the very least,
    Run your progie on some samples, but without backtracking.

Then output your Cells, the values of the solved ones, and the could_be's of the unsolved cells, in a human friendly fashion,

and THEN try to solve that by hand.

You should see some more strategies to throw into your progie that way.

-Lou

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=351477

Added the updates suggested. Just FYI

Well, I've pretty much read up about all the strategies I'm thinking about it as a programming task, not as a solver. There is only one potential logic left that might be fast enough to implement into my solver... about all the other ones would be more of performance killers than of help. So I can't take that as an excuse to solve one

Looks good.
    "Option to output the solved sudoku in a folder in the app path folder with your username"

You might want to restrict the output filename a little bit more.

Someone might name them with no relation to the input file whatsoever.

I Doubt it, but its possible.

[edit]
    "Time and keep track of the time for each sudoku solved and output in a list at the end (with the total time if possible)"

You might also want to be strict about how the entries in this list are formatted.
    What is the pertinant data?

Filename and seconds
    Anything else?

What is the order of the data?
    What deliminates each line of data?
    What deliminates between the data of each line?
    Some people use commas, some decimal points for the time. Is this an issue?

How should the total time entry be formatted and where should it go?

IF someones solver fails to solve a soduko, they still need to enter the time it took.

Should each line report the status of the processed sudoku? ie... "Solved" or "Failed"?

Hmmm, I think these are about all the potential issues.

-Lou

Lou, the input ones are *.msk and the output ones *.sol?

I'll edit it, thanks for the suggestion

Edited! Any more suggestions?

Thanks again
    Last edited by manavo11; Aug 13th, 2005 at 07:30 PM.

FileName001.msk: (SOLVED or FAILED) in 0,000000 seconds!
    FileName002.msk: (SOLVED or FAILED) in 0,000000 seconds!
    FileName003.msk: (SOLVED or FAILED) in 0,000000 seconds!
    Total Time: 0,000000 seconds
    I'm not sure why we are using a comma in the seconds. Is that suppose to be the decimal point in seconds (not milliseconds)? I'm assuming so.

~ eyeRmonkey.com

Yep. That's how I know it, "," decimal point and "." to show thousands, millions, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by manavo11
    Yep. That's how I know it, "," decimal point and "." to show thousands, millions, etc...
    Ok, maybe I am an idiot, but you just confused me more. First off, since when does a "." mark thousands, millions, etc. and do you want any "."s in the time or just a "," where the decimal point normally is?

~ eyeRmonkey.com

That's how we learn it in Greece The "." isn't needed. Or use the dot if you want in the Format function... Doesn't make much difference...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast