Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: Contest 6 - Sudoku solver - Discussion

No place like 127.0.0.1 eyeRmonkey's Avatar

Re: Contest 6 - Sudoku solver - Discussion

Well I'm mad. I finally got around to seeing why my program didn't solve all the puzzles and it looks like I just submitted the wrong copy of my code because I was submitting it in such a rush. Too bad I suppose. I still learned a lot in the process.

I really hope one of the mods hosts another contest soon. This was a lot of fun.
    Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition (.NET Framework 2.0)
    ~ VB .NET Links: Visual Basic 6 to .NET Function Equivalents (Thread) | Refactor! (White Paper) | Easy Control for Wizard Forms | Making A Proper UI For WinForms | Graphics & GDI+ Tutorial | Websites For Free Icons
    ~ QUOTE: Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rich Cook

~ eyeRmonkey.com

I must say I'm glad you all enjoyed it.

It's a shame there were only a few entries in the end, but congratulations to those of you who managed to create a working solver, even if it wasn't the fastest.

If it's any consolation, I never finished mine so all your project are better than mine

I just need a new topic that more than 2 people take an interest in (actually, hopefully more than 7 ) and we can have another one

BTW eyeR, what on earth was wrong with your code that it worked in the IDE and not compiled?

Has someone helped you? Then you can Rate their helpful post.

Hi

I am trying to write a pure logic solver, I have got quite far. It is a pitty I didnt see this sooner or I could have entered my solution, which solves most medium level puzzles without guessing. Is there going to be a re-run? if not I will post my solution and hopefully get some help in finishing it! (translating the solving tactics into code is a bit of a nightmare)

The contest has ended. If you want, you can post your code in the contest entries when you finish so it can be with all the rest But it won't be as competition with the rest, just to be there.

VB6, XHTML & CSS hobbyist Merri's Avatar

I might start a contest thingy later on, I'm not sure if I'll have the time to keep it up. But one can always try

Start a contest?

BTW Merri, don't you want your contest prize?

When i finish it i shall only post the algorithm not all the other stuff that was needed for the contest,it will take too much time otherwise. it will be interesting to see how they compare, i am doing something similar to merri but instead of using a string of bytes i am using arraycandidate(81,9) and arraysolution(81) and some nifty loops!

i presume bytes are faster to process or whatever but i would have thought to manipulate the byte strings to hold the data you want would take up more effort than manipulating arrays? dunno we shall see.

ps i am a vb noob

Well, good luck with it char1iecha1k

Quote Originally Posted by manavo11
    BTW Merri, don't you want your contest prize?
    Atm I don't see much value into it, I already have a custom title and I don't see a need to put colors into it etc.

Quote Originally Posted by char1iecha1k
    i am doing something similar to merri but instead of using a string of bytes i am using arraycandidate(81,9) and arraysolution(81) and some nifty loops!

i presume bytes are faster to process or whatever but i would have thought to manipulate the byte strings to hold the data you want would take up more effort than manipulating arrays?
    Long arrays are faster, because processors are 32-bit. The processors are optimized for 32-bit values, thus 32-bit values are the fastest. From the sound of it, it looks like you're doing something completely different than what I did

What are byte strings? If you mean string data type, I have to tell you: they're very slow in VB, because strings are very wise and easy to use. Thus a lot of extra code checking for various things -> slow.
    Last edited by Merri; Aug 31st, 2005 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merri
    Atm I don't see much value into it, I already have a custom title and I don't see a need to put colors into it etc.
    Oh well, if you change your mind let me know

Alternate Blue and White to match the sky in your new avatar

Congrats to all contestents. Sole VB.Net entry? I'm depressed.

My timings are generated but are copied to the clipboard instead of being printed out to a file.
    "Feel the force...read the source..."
    Utilities: POPFileDebugViewProcess ExplorerWiresharkKeePassUltraVNCPic2Ascii
    .Net tools & open source: DotNetNukelog4NetCLRProfiler
    My open source projects: Thales SimulatorEFT CalculatorSystem Info ReporterVSS2SVNIBAN Functions
    Customer quote: "If the server has a RAID array, why should we bother with backups?"
    Programmer quote: "I never comment my code. Something that is hard to write should be impossible to comprehend."
    Ignorant quote: "I have no respect for universities, as they teach not practicle stuff, and charge money for"

My Generator is VBNet.
    Its got a solver.
    I should have entered.

My solver wasn't designed for a speed competition, so its safe to say you'd still have won.

Boy, I really have an urge to attach some more msk files.

But I guess that'd be a waste of my attachment allotment.

Maybe in a month or so, when I get around to building Linked Sudokus.

-Lou

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna
    I don't think so. Entered code will be available after the contest ends. It will be a learning experience for everyone, and things can continue after it ends. The thread was started before the contest was even brought up.

I notice a sharp drop in board activity, though.
    So, who is still working on his/her program ?
    Who did understand the other programs and was able to include
    some ideas from them into his own program ?

No place like 127.0.0.1 eyeRmonkey's Avatar

This is a ridiculous post bump, but I just wanted to say (6.5 years later!) that I think about this contest often. It was a fun problem to solve right when I started getting into programming. And now I code for a living. Hope everyone in the VB6 forums community is doing well. If anyone wants to reconnect with me, I'm over at blanchardjeremy.com. <3
    Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition (.NET Framework 2.0)
    ~ VB .NET Links: Visual Basic 6 to .NET Function Equivalents (Thread) | Refactor! (White Paper) | Easy Control for Wizard Forms | Making A Proper UI For WinForms | Graphics & GDI+ Tutorial | Websites For Free Icons
    ~ QUOTE: Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rich Cook

~ eyeRmonkey.com

As ridiculous reply an additional half a year later!
    1. I also remember this contest every now and then. A shame there wasn't other as successful ones.
    2. I still don't code for a living.
    3. But I'm well, I've found my way to worklife after having huge difficulties most of the 00's.
    4. In programming I've switched to PHP/JavaScript, maybe finally C++ soon enough.
    5. I no longer do VB6 at all - a hard language to drop as it does have a lot of fun parts despite many huge limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by penagate
    I understand the concept but can't for the life of me solve one by hand.
    To this day I haven't solved a single sudoku by hand. I can write a program that does it, but doing it by hand just isn't something I'd be interested of.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011