Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contest 7 - Arcade - Discussion Thread

Super Moderator

Contest 7 - Arcade - Discussion Thread

Any questions or problems please ask here!

Re: Contest 7 - Arcade - Discussion Thread

damn i was going to try and make a game and i had a good idea that i would have entered but i dont think it comes under arcade

Well time to think again

<Removed So dclamp Wouldn't Cry>

Frenzied Member

What was it?

How about using Flash? You can do allot within the timeframe and great presentation too.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

it was a game i was thinking of making. Its one of those ones where you move the aiming site around i have played it in arcades (does that count)

Frenzied Member

I'm not sure... I would leave it to Pino to decide on that one.

Super Moderator

If you played it in an arcade then yes it counts! also if you look at the spec as long as it fits the criteria of being 2d simple and easy to pick up then its ok! We are being very very flexible with this one! So just be creative and have fun!

Pino

Good good time to have fun yippee

Fanatic Member

bomberman count?
    online bomberman count?

Super Moderator

Yes!

Fanatic Member

You would do a contest for something I suck at! I can do the coding part but my creativity at creating a game stinks! *sigh* I now must scour the internet for unused game ideas... but when I submit it don't laugh at my graphics they are likely to be blocks of solid colors *snicker*

VB6, XHTML & CSS hobbyist Merri's Avatar

I have one fresh arcade game idea that I can't recall seeing before, but I don't have the interest to participate (or code the game). Actual coding won't take much time, most of the time would go to polishing and fine tuning the game play once the basics are there. The game idea requires very simple physics and accurate collision detection, ie. simple box collision detection wouldn't work - unless everything would be simple blocks that never rotate.

Frenzied Member

Uhh hi everyone!

I've been working on my pong game for a couple weeks now and I guess I can submit that? I don't know if I can finish it in 10 days though.. Is it okay if I just send it what I have completed so far if I reach the deadline without finishing?

The reason it's taking so long is because I'm adding online play to it, if that's okay.

Also, what are the prizes?

Super Moderator

Yea just submit it when you think you are ready!

I've been working on a connect four game to help me learn C# and now Directx. Since I'm close to finishing I thought maybe I should submit it in the contest. I doubt I'll win, but just for kicks.

Anyways my question is, do you consider connect four as an arcade game? I don't think its technically an "arcade" game, but it is a simple 2d game made in C# using Directx so maybe it qualifies. What do you think?

Super Moderator

Submit it!

Frenzied Member

Hey I have a question.. I have been working on my pong game for a while now and I'm really proud of it. Although I trust you Pino, I just don't want to be dropping the source out to everybody. I don't really know what to do about this issue. If I don't give you the source, you won't really know the amount of work I put into it and the code skill level, but if I do give it to you, I risk the chance of other people obtaining it and posting it as if it was their own.

Should I copyright it or license it or something of the sort? Just some sort of method used to prove that the written code is mine. I've never done such a thing because I have never worked on a programming project this long and hard (3500 lines of code right now, which is a lot for me) and what I could do is something I've never done before.

What do you think?

Super Moderator

Thats a risk we all take when posting items on the net. I cant see a problem though, without sounding rude its not like its million $$ software. I wouldn't worry about it? Be proud of it post your source, if someone steals it what does it matter to you?

Frenzied Member

Alright, well. When I post it, I'll probably just put comments in the files saying it was mine or something. Nothing major.

Also, do they have to be completely finished? I don't think I'll be finishing all online support by the 30th =/

Super Moderator

I may extend the deadline to the end of the weekend.

Frenzied Member

You should

I agree, an extension would be of great help.

darn, I find out about this contest a day before the deadline :P
    I'll get you next time gadget.

Frenzied Member

Is there going to be an extension? The game is over 4000 lines of code, BUT there is a major problem with collision where SOMETIMES the ball registers for collison to much in one hit. Because of this, sometimes one collision will register 30+ times and give the paddle a much higher score. I doubt I will fix this by tommorow's end so an extension would be great.

Also, how are you grading the entries? Is it the most fun game, the most accurate replication, the one bestly coded, or what? I say this because if I don't fix this collision problem, will I still have a chance to win the contest? Because, other than that and some multiplayer issues, the game is complete.

sounds like all you need to do is have collision detection based on the ball direction. If it's moving away from the paddle then ignore any more collisions. Probably a result of ball speed putting the ball past the paddle edge?
    You want to see a collision nightmare, i was trying to write a breakout game for this contest and i gave up. I actually got it to bounce off of blocks and my paddle and the walls and break the blocks but for some reason it would tunnel through them sometimes and destroy whole lines of them.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Super Moderator

Extended Until 2nd!

I wanted to submit my game, but it was just a bad time for me due to school. I'll still finish it and have the source available in the Game Demos section soon. So who won? Can we see the entries?

we are all wondering the same thing! At the very least, the contest subforum should have been unlocked by now!

Super Moderator

Correct they will be available later on today! Results expected at the end of the weekend!

Super Moderator

I think this contest should have been advertised more, I didn't even know about unitl a few days before the deadline. And this must have been true for others as well because there were only three entries.

Anyways a contest is a good idea and please do one again in the future, but next time advertise that there's going to be a contest soon, and then everyone can look out for it and get some ideas of what they might want to do. So good idea, but people need to know about it in order to participate.

I haven't tried any of the entires yet, but I've downloaded them all and will bring them home and try them out. Maybe I'll learn something from them, hopefully you guys used Directx so I can see some examples it being used.

Fanatic Member

dang i was on vacation and forgot to submit.

there were plenty of people who said they were going to submit but never did. A connect4 game comes to mind...

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Underworld1020
    I think this contest should have been advertised more, I didn't even know about unitl a few days before the deadline. And this must have been true for others as well because there were only three entries.

Anyways a contest is a good idea and please do one again in the future, but next time advertise that there's going to be a contest soon, and then everyone can look out for it and get some ideas of what they might want to do. So good idea, but people need to know about it in order to participate.

I haven't tried any of the entires yet, but I've downloaded them all and will bring them home and try them out. Maybe I'll learn something from them, hopefully you guys used Directx so I can see some examples it being used.
    I appriciate you saying this, I did try there was a sticky in chitchat and the thread has been in this forum for a while. I understand what you are saying and for the next one I'll see if I can get a global forum announcement.

Pino

there were plenty of people who said they were going to submit but never did. A connect4 game comes to mind...
    Now that I think about it, I did something very stupid. I already had a working VB version of my game...I could of just submited that...

I appriciate you saying this, I did try there was a sticky in chitchat and the thread has been in this forum for a while. I understand what you are saying and for the next one I'll see if I can get a global forum announcement.
    I guess you probably did advertise, its just where you did. The only section of the fourm I really go to anymore is the Gaming section, unless I have a question. Someone did post about the contest there, but way too late.

Okay, so I downloaded all the entries last night and planned on trying them, but it didn't work out. All the entries were versions that I couldn't open. Most I think were VB 6, and Pong must have been something newer than 2005, maybe that new beta that's out. Anyways I couldn't even open any of the entries except in Notepad.

So can you guys include some exe files or something so I can try them out?

Frenzied Member

The solution is in 2008. It will work fine if you convert it back to 2005 as I only used 2005's framework. It was auto-converted to 2008 when I started working on it on a different computer with 2008 installed. If you don't want to convert, just open the Pong project instead of the solution.

Anyways, I think I remember putting the exe along with it. You might need the DirectX end-user run-time to run it or rebuild the solution once it's opened. As always

I got Pong to work. I downloaded the DirectX run-time and exectuted the exe file. The computer I'm on right now doesn't have VS, so I can't even try that at the moment.

So a few remarks about the game. I liked it, however there are some bugs that you may already be aware of.

-When starting the game the Paddle Speed is at 0, which doesn't really make any sense because why would you want a paddle that can't move? At first I thought I wasn't pressing the wrong keys and then I figured it out in the Options menu that my Paddle Speed was at 0, which seems to be the default.

-I like that you can change the Game Type from Horizontal to Vertical, that's a cool idea. However when you change the Game Type, the Paddle Side needs to be changed manually, or else you can end up without a paddle. Which maybe you intended that so we can watch a COM VS. COM game, not sure.
    [EDIT]
    Just realized there's a Both mode for Game Type as well, that's pretty cool. However, it would be even better if the user could control both paddles to make it more fun and challenging, or at least have an option.
    [/EDIT]

-The angles of the ball bouncing of the paddle seem very good, but if you hit it at a certain angle you can get the ball to forever go sideways across the screen, which makes the game unplayable after that.
    [EDIT]
    I can only seem to do this in the Vertical mode Game Type.
    [/EDIT]

-The last issue: There's no pause between matches, so once someone scores the ball starts again right away. Maybe you intended this to make the game more challenging, not sure.

All in all I did like this game and I thought it was a good remake. From just looking at all the code in NotePad I can see that you worked hard on this and I think you did a good job. Most of the bugs I mentioned above are small and shouldn't be that hard to fix. I'm looking forward to an updated version.

he could have probably gotten the file small enough to post on the forum with a little work. It contains executables, etc. I don't have c# installed but i tried to run the .exe file it came with and it crashed without running. Maybe i don't have the correct framework?

I don't have c# installed but i tried to run the .exe file it came with and it crashed without running. Maybe i don't have the correct framework?
    Are you talking about the Pong game? If so you might just need the lastest DirectX run-time like I did to run the exe. I guess if that doesn't work then I guess you could try getting the lastest .NET framework. One of those two should do it. The exe does work, so it's something on your end.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Underworld1020
    I got Pong to work. I downloaded the DirectX run-time and exectuted the exe file. The computer I'm on right now doesn't have VS, so I can't even try that at the moment.

So a few remarks about the game. I liked it, however there are some bugs that you may already be aware of.

Yea, probably :P

-When starting the game the Paddle Speed is at 0, which doesn't really make any sense because why would you want a paddle that can't move? At first I thought I wasn't pressing the wrong keys and then I figured it out in the Options menu that my Paddle Speed was at 0, which seems to be the default.

Yea, I know. But once you change it once, it changes for good. There was a screw up with the options file at release. Sorry about that =/

-I like that you can change the Game Type from Horizontal to Vertical, that's a cool idea. However when you change the Game Type, the Paddle Side needs to be changed manually, or else you can end up without a paddle. Which maybe you intended that so we can watch a COM VS. COM game, not sure.

Yea, that was kind of intended.

[EDIT]
    Just realized there's a Both mode for Game Type as well, that's pretty cool. However, it would be even better if the user could control both paddles to make it more fun and challenging, or at least have an option.
    [/EDIT]

That sure would be crazy o-O Well uhh.. I don't really know how I'd implement via the options game state graphic wise.. however, it should be easy to implement through code.

-The angles of the ball bouncing of the paddle seem very good, but if you hit it at a certain angle you can get the ball to forever go sideways across the screen, which makes the game unplayable after that.
    [EDIT]
    I can only seem to do this in the Vertical mode Game Type.
    [/EDIT]

Yea, I noticed that too. I think it resets itself though.. oh well.. just a bug. Tell me if you figure it out :P

-The last issue: There's no pause between matches, so once someone scores the ball starts again right away. Maybe you intended this to make the game more challenging, not sure.

Fast paced!!

All in all I did like this game and I thought it was a good remake. From just looking at all the code in NotePad I can see that you worked hard on this and I think you did a good job. Most of the bugs I mentioned above are small and shouldn't be that hard to fix. I'm looking forward to an updated version.
    Thanks so much. Yea, I did work really hard on it. I know there are some bugs but I ran out of time to work on it. It's around 5500 ~ 6000 lines of code at time of release. I hope everyone enjoys it!

<Advertisement>

I'm currently working on a 2D, offline sidescrolling RPG and if anyone wants to help or anything, contact me! :P

</Advertisement>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast