Thread: Interesting PHP Article

Hybrid View

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Interesting PHP Article

If you are wondering what PHP is all about, or want a tutorial then you may find this interesting. I know I did.

Re: Interesting PHP Article

hey cool...Maybe I will start learning PHP now...htmlgoodies was the site which first taught me, and got me into, html

Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty
    hey cool...Maybe I will start learning PHP now...htmlgoodies was the site which first taught me, and got me into, html
    Do you subscribe to their newsletter? That is where I got the PHP information. HTMLGoodiesToGo rocks!

I've linked to this thread in the FAQ, hope thats OK.
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

Quote Originally Posted by visualAd
    I've linked to this thread in the FAQ, hope thats OK.
    No problem. I hope it helps folks.

Htmlgoodies looks fantastic, why haven't I found this before? I'm going to check this out extensively tonight when I get home.

VBForums is also assocated with a site called www.PHPBuilder.com. We publish articles there regularly (and will take articles if you write them).

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    VBForums is also assocated with a site called www.PHPBuilder.com. We publish articles there regularly (and will take articles if you write them).

Brad!
    Also a member there, excellent tutorials from beginner to advance level

Also if beginning W3Schools has a pretty good online intro series of tutorials, sadly not including some of the more modern developments in phpland.
    http://www.scaryminds.com - Horror's last colonial outpost.

@KD = That's probably because the W3C doesn't control PHP... only the (X)HTML standards. The maintenance of PHP belongs to a different organization. W3Schools is where I go when I want the latest help on HTML ... if I'm looking for PHP help I go to php.net...

@benderman - it's good for any kind of dynamic server side processing... like these forums... I use it to run a radio station, I've used it for ecommerce sites, basically anything where you need/want to do logic on the server, then simply serve up html to the client browser.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    @KD = That's probably because the W3C doesn't control PHP... only the (X)HTML standards. The maintenance of PHP belongs to a different organization. W3Schools is where I go when I want the latest help on HTML ... if I'm looking for PHP help I go to php.net...
    W3Schools isn't associated with the W3C. It's also notoriously inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by penagate View Post
    W3Schools isn't associated with the W3C. It's also notoriously inaccurate.
    Interesting. I didn't know that.

Guys,

So generally what is PHP used for? I see that it is good for working with databases but what else do you use it for?

Cheers,

Ben

@techgnome Thanks for the summary!

I sit corrected.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *