dcsimg

View Poll Results: How many spaces are in YOUR tabs?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll

5 23.81%
  • 4 (VB Default I think)

14 66.67%
  • 1, 3, 5+

1 4.76%
  • What are tabs? I prefer code with as little white space as possible.

1 4.76%

Thread: POLL: How Many Spaces Are in YOUR Tabs?

No place like 127.0.0.1 eyeRmonkey's Avatar

POLL: How Many Spaces Are in YOUR Tabs?

Well, I'm bored, so I thought I would make this poll, I think it qualifies as being relevant in this forums so here it is:

Under Tools > Options... > Editor, what is your Tab Width set to?

Lets not discuss how useless this information really is.
    Last edited by eyeRmonkey; Jul 8th, 2005 at 06:58 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot. But don't tell anyone :)
    Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition (.NET Framework 2.0)
    ~ VB .NET Links: Visual Basic 6 to .NET Function Equivalents (Thread) | Refactor! (White Paper) | Easy Control for Wizard Forms | Making A Proper UI For WinForms | Graphics & GDI+ Tutorial | Websites For Free Icons
    ~ QUOTE: Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rich Cook

~ eyeRmonkey.com

Re: POLL: How Many Spaces Are in YOUR Tabs?

I had the default for a long time until I re-installed everything, but now I'm doing things the way they should be. My tabs are now set to 2, which is enough to differentiate things, and now it looks nice to highlight code, and press tab or shift-tab to format things nicely.

Yes, 4 spaces are the default standard for VB. When you get allot of code it makes it easier to differentiate the code blocks, etc.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2019, VS 2019

dglienna, I should make an icon for our sigs: The Two-Space Tabbers Club. In no way would that be lame, so don't act like it would be.
    Last edited by eyeRmonkey; Jul 8th, 2005 at 08:15 PM. Reason: grammer
    ~ VB .NET Links: Visual Basic 6 to .NET Function Equivalents (Thread) | Refactor! (White Paper) | Easy Control for Wizard Forms | Making A Proper UI For WinForms | Graphics & GDI+ Tutorial | Websites For Free Icons
    ~ QUOTE: Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rich Cook

~ eyeRmonkey.com

I (personally) don't like less than 4 spaces indented code as it becomes less readable - 4 spaces (the default) is just perfect.
    But again, it could be me ...

I tried 2 once.... for all of 5 minutes.... went right back to 4.

Tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Its set at 4 spaces as a Default for a reason. I'm sure MS did some kind of analysis on what should be the default. 2 is not
    enough of a distinction to be of any help at all. More then 4 would be too much and make it difficult to read a line of code as it would
    require the user to do a horizontal scroll.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2019, VS 2019

TAB valid values are 1 to 32 - who would've thunk it?!

when i do use tabs, personally, I use four;

Hmmm. I never use the tab key, maybe I should change it back and start using it. It's easier to type 2 spaces than 4, but if I can use TAB, then it doesn't really matter.

Fanatic Member

LOL...microsoft....analysis. Those two words don't go in the same sentence.

A tab to microsoft is basically half an inch (take a look at word, outlook, etc). The number 4 just fits that criteria perfectly without any thought put into it. Seems like microsoft standards to me :P.

Microsoft Analysis: Let's make an updated version of IE to plug all the security holes that we created and make the browser so different that all programs that use IE will not work the same afterwards. We'll make it so that when PHP outputs "\r\n" it no longer works, and when activex programs want to launch, we will make them click an annoying toolbar that makes this dialog box pop up to ask if you want to install the activex. Thereafter, we will ask one more time to make sure and be extremely annoying :P.
    Visual Basic 6.0
    Visual C++ 5
    Delphi 5

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna
    Hmmm. I never use the tab key, maybe I should change it back and start using it. It's easier to type 2 spaces than 4, but if I can use TAB, then it doesn't really matter.
    NO! dglienna! Don't turn to the dark side of the tab.

Actually one of the reasons I use 2 is because I use 2 when making HTML. Also, There are so many things docked in the IDE that I would have to scroll horz more if I did 4. I have tried turning off some docked stuff, but I always find myself going back to it really often. Maybe I'll play with it some more.

~ eyeRmonkey.com

Lurker

I have my IDE set up so it is very quick to open/close windows. Solution Browser docked on the left, everything else docked on the right And the Immediate Window I made undockable. So all I have to do to get a decent amount of space to view code is side-click (=double-click) on the Toolbox window's X button, and that closes the properties window too, getting rid of the side bar. They are the only ones I ever use.

And yes I have 4 spaces in my tabs

Quote Originally Posted by eyeRmonkey
    NO! dglienna! Don't turn to the dark side of the tab.

Actually one of the reasons I use 2 is because I use 2 when making HTML. Also, There are so many things docked in the IDE that I would have to scroll horz more if I did 4. I have tried turning off some docked stuff, but I always find myself going back to it really often. Maybe I'll play with it some more.
    Increase your screen resolution so you dont need to do horizontal scrolling.

I run 1280x1024. Practically no scrolling at all needed.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888
    Increase your screen resolution so you dont need to do horizontal scrolling.

I run 1280x1024. Practically no scrolling at all needed.
    You don't know how much I wish I could increase my resolution. I am running a Radeon 9800 Pro on an Alienware, but The max I can get is 1024x768 because I have an 8x card running on and 4x AGP slot. This causes many other problems too. I found out what the problem was after my warrenty was up. This is the last prebuilt computer I am ever buying.

~ eyeRmonkey.com

Quote Originally Posted by penagate
    I have my IDE set up so it is very quick to open/close windows. Solution Browser docked on the left, everything else docked on the right And the Immediate Window I made undockable. So all I have to do to get a decent amount of space to view code is side-click (=double-click) on the Toolbox window's X button, and that closes the properties window too, getting rid of the side bar. They are the only ones I ever use.

And yes I have 4 spaces in my tabs
    Well, when it comes to IDE - I use SDI (single doc interface) wich is not (unfortunately) available in .Net.