Thread: Insert new line in table

Insert new line in table

When I insert a new line into a string that pulls into a table via a docvariable I get a box of sorts. I've tried vbCrLf and Chr(13), both of which work elsewhere but not in the table.

The new lines are after LLP and before Oxnard

What can I use for a line feed within a table?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Insert new line in table

How are you adding the text to the table and how is the table formatted?
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Giants World Champs!!!! Mark Gambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silvrwood
    When I insert a new line into a string that pulls into a table via a docvariable I get a box of sorts. I've tried vbCrLf and Chr(13), both of which work elsewhere but not in the table.

The new lines are after LLP and before Oxnard

What can I use for a line feed within a table?

Have you tried Chr(10) & Chr(13)?
    Regards,

Mark

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful. Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post". Please use [highlight='vb'] your code goes in here [/highlight] tags when posting code. When a question you asked has been resolved, please go to the top of the original post and click "Thread Tools" then select "Mark Thread Resolved."

vbCrLf is the same as Chr(10) & Chr(13).
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888
    vbCrLf is the same as Chr(10) & Chr(13).

I know but I have noticed that you need to enter it in this particular order (Chr(13) & Chr(10)) for it to work in Access XP and prior Reports. See attached image.

Last edited by Mark Gambo; Jul 2nd, 2005 at 09:13 PM.
    Regards,

Mark

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful. Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post". Please use [highlight='vb'] your code goes in here [/highlight] tags when posting code. When a question you asked has been resolved, please go to the top of the original post and click "Thread Tools" then select "Mark Thread Resolved."

Alas, I had no luck with Chr(13) & Chr(10). I tried them in reverse just to be sure. Putting a space after the text on the first line at least enables the next line to drop to another line, but the boxes still appear.

In Word, in the document, I have inserted a docVariable field into a table. The table alignment is left with no text wrapping & standard margins. It is set to auto-resize to contents. The row is allowed to break across the page & there is no border. Am I leaving out anything that might be pertinent?

In the code I have created a string then assigned that string to the value of the docVariable:

Code:
    Dim OptExecOO As String

OptExecOO = "Nordman Cormany Hair & Compton LLP " & Chr(13)  & _
        "1000 Town Center Drive, Sixth Floor " & Chr(13) & _
        "Oxnard, California  93030"

'ActiveDocument.Variables.Add Name:="OptExec", Value:=" "

If ExecOutOpt.Value = True Then

ActiveDocument.Variables("OptExec").Value = OptExecOO

Else

ActiveDocument.Variables("OptExec").Value = OptExecIO

End If

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Have you tried vbNewLine?

Did you try:

VB Code:
    1. Dim OptExecOO As String
    3. OptExecOO = "Nordman Cormany Hair & Compton LLP " & [COLOR=Red]Chr(13) & Chr(10)[/COLOR] & _
    4.     "1000 Town Center Drive, Sixth Floor " & [COLOR=Red]Chr(13) & Chr(10)[/COLOR] & _
    5.     "Oxnard, California  93030"
    7. 'ActiveDocument.Variables.Add Name:="OptExec", Value:=" "
    9. If ExecOutOpt.Value = True Then
    11.     ActiveDocument.Variables("OptExec").Value = OptExecOO
    13.     Else
    15.         ActiveDocument.Variables("OptExec").Value = OptExecIO
    17. End If

I used the following code in order to produce the attached image:

VB Code:
    1. Dim OptExecOO  As String
    2. OptExecOO = "Nordman Cormany Hair & Compton LLP " & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & _
    3.     "1000 Town Center Drive, Sixth Floor " & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & _
    4.     "Oxnard, California  93030"
    5. Me.Text0 = OptExecOO
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    Have you tried vbNewLine?
    This solution also will work for you.
    Regards,

Mark

For some reason none of those solutions are working for me in a Word 2003 table. They work fine elsewhere in the document. Part of it seems to be related to the font. We use Century Schoolbook. When I change the font the box looks more like a hidden box, but it still consumes a space on the line before the start of the text as opposed to at the end of the preceeding line where it would not take up space.

For the time being I have added spaces between the text to force it to wrap at the margin.

Lively Member

Where exactly is the string coming from? Are you sure it doesn't have the box character in it before you go pasting it into the table?
    Otherwise try Chr(11) to add a soft-return?

I declare a string in the User Form code, then set its value directly within the code, i.e.

Dim problemString As String
    problemString = "Nordman Cormany Hair & Compton" & Chr(13) & _
    "etc..."

So it's not pulling from anywhere else. I haven't tried Chr(11) yet. I will do that and respond accordingly.

I declare a string in the User Form code, then set its value directly within the code, i.e.

Dim problemString As String
    problemString = "Nordman Cormany Hair & Compton" & Chr(13) & _
    "etc..."

So it's not pulling from anywhere else. I haven't tried Chr(11) yet. I will do that and respond accordingly.

Can you post a sample project?
    Regards,

Mark

Alas, I had no luck with Chr(13) & Chr(10). I tried them in reverse just to be sure. Putting a space after the text on the first line at least enables the next line to drop to another line, but the boxes still appear.

In Word, in the document, I have inserted a docVariable field into a table. The table alignment is left with no text wrapping & standard margins. It is set to auto-resize to contents. The row is allowed to break across the page & there is no border. Am I leaving out anything that might be pertinent?

In the code I have created a string then assigned that string to the value of the docVariable:

Code:
    Dim OptExecOO As String

OptExecOO = "Nordman Cormany Hair & Compton LLP " & Chr(13)  & _
        "1000 Town Center Drive, Sixth Floor " & Chr(13) & _
        "Oxnard, California  93030"

'ActiveDocument.Variables.Add Name:="OptExec", Value:=" "

If ExecOutOpt.Value = True Then

ActiveDocument.Variables("OptExec").Value = OptExecOO

Else

ActiveDocument.Variables("OptExec").Value = OptExecIO

End If
    It's the same as I indicated here.

Thumbs up Re: Insert new line in table

Hi,
    The problem not ur script but MS Word template, for Word 2000 & 2003 u need to Place an Enter Key(new line) under the {DOCVARIABLE "YOUR_FIELD_NAME" \* MERGEFORMAT} field if ur field is in the table. If it's not in the table it's ok u wont see the square box.

I found a bug, If u don't add enter key under the "DOCVARIABLE" field & after u exported the data into the "DOCVARIABLE" field u will see the square box & if u place u cursor under the "DOCVARIABLE" field press Enter Key BOOM!!! ms word crash.

Foo.

Resolved Re: Insert new line in table

Thank you for this information. I will keep it if the firm decides to use this project again, or if such a need presents itself once more.