Thread: VB App Version #s on complie

VB App Version #s on complie

Ok... I was wondering what each of the numbers ment and if auto increment is on what changes each #.

Major:

Minor:

Revision: Changes on every compile (I believe).

Thanks.
    -----MY SITES-----
    BayRidgeNights.Com - NYC Nightlife Forums

Fight Communism - Rate Posts!

Re: VB App Version #s on complie

Quote Originally Posted by DKasler
    Ok... I was wondering what each of the numbers ment and if auto increment is on what changes each #.

Major:

Minor:

Revision: Changes on every compile (I believe).

Thanks.
    Major is like a full release - not released very often. Like full applications before any bug fixes etc.
    Minor is sory of like major bug fixes or new features added. Sort of like patch files for bug fixes.
    Revision - Small changes and bug fixes normally. This is auto incrimented if you have it set to do so

The first is incrimented then the second reaches 99 and the second is incrimented when the third reaches 99

Is that what you meant?

Cheers,

RyanJ
    My Blog.

Ryan Jones.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

You can use those numbers to mean anything you wish. For example, the standard at my company is:

Major As Ryan said, a full release - only incremented in the event of major changes/enhancements.
    Minor This number represents a release containing bug fixes. The number does not mean the NUMBER of bug fixes, only that it is a release with bug fixes.
    Revision This number represents a release with enhancements, but not enough enhancements to warrent a change in the Major number.

Example:

A version number like 1.3.2 would mean it is the first full release, it has had three sets bug fix releases and 2 sets of enhancement releases.

A release like 1.2.1 means it contains two sets of bug releases and one set of enhancements.

Clear as mud?

Incidentally, we never, ever use the auto increment on the version number as we go through tons of compiles prior to a release. Once the final product is ready, the version number is manually set, and then recompiled and put into production.

Thank you both.
    -----MY SITES-----
    BayRidgeNights.Com - NYC Nightlife Forums

Fight Communism - Rate Posts!