dcsimg

Thread: Who's Online, and the smileys [resolved]

Lurker

Arrow Who's Online, and the smileys [resolved]

I was looking at the Who's online list for a bit today... for some reason it is quite satisfying watching what people are doing

It is great to see how many guests come on this forum and view all the old threads, just shows what a popular forum this is

I have one issue, that is the Who's Online list keeps refreshing about every 30 seconds. Is there any way to prevent this?

Also, on a completely unrelated note (didn't wanna start 2 threads), why is it that the position of the smileys in the editor page is always randomised? Is it some kind of forum joke?

pena
    Last edited by penagate; May 25th, 2005 at 11:26 AM. Reason: it seems to be resolved now :)

Lurker

Re: Who's Online, and the smileys

Quote Originally Posted by MartinLiss
    I forgot about the Who's Online page. No, that can't be changed.
    OK, thanks.

The smileys don't change position.
    They do!! And sometimes they don't all show up. If I can get it to happen again I will post some screenshots.

Lurker

What browser do you use?
    Firefox 1.04. I've noticed it ever since I joined VBF though, and back then I was using I think 1.01. I think (not sure because I don't use it much) that I've also seen it happen in IE.

At the moment the duck smiley is coming up twice and the eek smiley is down the bottom. Earlier today the eek smiley was on the second row and the duck smiley only came up once. The frog is another serial offender, it is on the 1st row now and earlier is was near the bottom.

Lurker

I was going to predict that you were using FF. I'm sure that it's a problem with that browser.
    Here ya go. I made a comparison image showing the smiley frame in both IE and FF. They all shifted about half an hour ago (in FF at least) and since then have stayed put. Notice the duck smiley though. All are the same in both browsers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

When you open up the "Who's online" page, press escape.

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

OK the two lists look pretty much the same there but I believe they might have looked different previously. The two duck icons have been there for a while. While they result in the same image, one was placed there for member parksie. If you want to know more about that please PM me.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by mendhak
    When you open up the "Who's online" page, press escape.
    Thanks, it works to press escape just as it starts to auto-reload

Lurker

OK the two lists look pretty much the same there but I believe they might have looked different previously. The two duck icons have been there for a while. While they result in the same image, one was placed there for member parksie. If you want to know more about that please PM me.
    Thanks, yeah I came across the Parksie thread a while back.

It's just that a lot of the time I only see the one duck icon, whilst sometimes it is two. And the positions are definitely changing. Oh well, it doesn't really bother me, just curious

My smileys are in different positions then yours. Shouldnt they be in the same positions no matter what browser?
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda™ )
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I think they are different because they are on different servers, but that's only a guesstimate. (Fx 1.04)

For whatever it's worth list of smilies looks random to me as well for a last few months but it doesn't change every time.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoBull
    For whatever it's worth list of smilies looks random to me as well for a last few months but it doesn't change every time.
    Nar, not every time, it just seems to change every once in a while. My list now looks the same as Rob's and DG's.

I guess I was wrong about there only being one duck icon.

Re: Who's Online, and the smileys [mostly resolved]

Sounds like a caching issue. I may know what causes it and am looking into it. I'll also see if I can get the server caches sync'd.

Thanks,

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (My recent articles) (I wrote: Web 2.0 Heroes!) (My Blog) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

There is now only one ducky. I removed the the "tribute" one - it was time. While I was looking at the icons I noticed that the field called display order contained a 1 for all the icons except that one which was 0. Maybe that's why it was in different positions on different browsers.

Lurker

There is now only one ducky. I removed the the "tribute" one - it was time.
    Won't that mess old posts up?

And also, about 15 mins ago the smileys did their moving around trick again, but now they are back to normal.

Nice work Marty

...except that one which was 0. Maybe that's why it was in different positions on different browsers.
    Nope, that was me trying to see if changing the display order value to 0 would remove the icon from displaying. It didn't work.

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (My recent articles) (I wrote: Web 2.0 Heroes!) (My Blog) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Erm, just a thought on this but what editor is everyone using? I'm using the Enhanced one (middle one) I get the same as RobDog & dglienna. I'm assuming penagate is using the WYSIWYG editor?
    When your thread has been resolved please edit the original post in the thread ()
    and amend "-[RESOLVED]-" to the end of the title and change the icon to , Thank you.

When posting Code use the [VBCode]Code Here[/VBCode] tags to be able to use the code highlighting.

I just switched back to the Basic editor, and when I clicked the reply button, there were NO smilies. Don't know about that.

Hey Penagate is right! They sure are changing. Yesterday I had observed them at different places yesterday.
    Pradeep, Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Please appreciate posts that have helped you by clicking icon on the left of the post.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." — Charles F. Kettering

Read articles on My Blog • 101 LINQ Samples • JSON Validator • XML Schema Validator • "How Do I" videos on MSDN • VB.NET and C# Comparison • Good Coding Practices • VBForums Reputation Saver • String Enum • Super Simple Tetris Game

(2010-2013)
    NB: I do not answer coding questions via PM. If you want my help, then make a post and PM me it's link. If I can help, trust me I will...

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Electroman
    Erm, just a thought on this but what editor is everyone using? I'm using the Enhanced one (middle one) I get the same as RobDog & dglienna. I'm assuming penagate is using the WYSIWYG editor?
    I'm using Standard... whatever that one is. It know it isn't WYSIWYG cos I type all the vB codes in by hand.

Here are my smileys now. Its the first time I've looked at them since Martin changed the display order field... It's different to yesterday but I don't know if that is to do with how the display order is set or not.