Thread: Getting value of span with JavaScript

Getting value of span with JavaScript

Hello,

I'm trying to get the value of a span. In ASP.NET when you use a Label it transforms it into a span on the client side. I can't get the value of the span using my JavaScript. How do you get the value of a span using JavaScript?

Thanks!

Code:
    <span id="lblOtherOptionsTotal" style="font-weight:bold;">$0.00</span>

Re: Getting value of span with JavaScript

Quote Originally Posted by broadvision123
    Hello,

I'm trying to get the value of a span. In ASP.NET when you use a Label it transforms it into a span on the client side. I can't get the value of the span using my JavaScript. How do you get the value of a span using JavaScript?

Thanks!

Code:
    <span id="lblOtherOptionsTotal" style="font-weight:bold;">$0.00</span>
    You'll just have to use the innerHTML / innterText attributes

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
      <!--
        var TheDiv = document.getElementById("The_Div_Name_Here");
        window.alert(TheDiv.innerHTML);
        // Or:
        // window.alert(TheDiv.innerText);
      //-->
    </script>
    You should use innerText is there is any other HTML inside the span, otherwise the innerHTML will do fine

Cheers,

RyanJ
    My Blog.

Ryan Jones.

It work prefectly in IE and Opera but what about Firefox? How to ge tthis value in FireFox?

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

Ryan... I am going to slap you with that bit of ancient history next time I see you online!

All text within elements is in the form of #text nodes, these are accesible via the DOM.

First you find the span element.
    Code:
    var myspan = document.getElementById('myspan');
    Assuming there is nothing but text within it, we can get the text node like this:
    Code:
    var span_textnode = myspan.firstChild;
    Then use the data property to get the actual text:
    Code:
    var span_text = span_textnode.data;
    innerHTML and innerText are non-standard properties. The DOM method shown above is far superior and more robust as it works with the parsed DOM tree; rather than editing the in-memory source code which then has to be reparsed (less efficient and risking syntactic errors).

Tkanks a lot for quick answer

BTW
    I knew that it is one of the properties of span element but I didn't know witch one. Is there any page & documentaion witch all javascript objects & properties?

There is the official DOM2 specification:
    http://www.w3.org/DOM/DOMTR#dom2
    The stuff in Core and HTML is pretty much cross-browser. Views is not much of a spec: it effectively specifies that the window object should have a document property (which it does in all browsers) and that the document object should have a defaultView property (which doesn't work across browsers, but is pretty irrelevant in today's technology).
    Style and Events is supported everywhere but IE - IE has partial support for Style and pretty much none for Events.
    Traversal & Range is poorly supported in general, although it's very useful.

DOM 3 (below) is even less supported. Firefox supports Load & Save, but I don't know if any others do. In any case, the spec has been pretty much superseded by XmlHttpRequest. Validation is not supported in any browser as far as I know. The new features of Core are sporadically supported.
    Of particular interest, however, is the DOM3 Node.textContent property. This property, which is supported in Firefox and, I think, Konqueror and Opera too, is equivalent to the non-standard innerText property, so you can use a simple object-detection switch to obtain the text.

Code:
    function getText(n)
    {
      if('textContent' in n) {
        return n.textContent;
      } else if('innerText' in n) {
        return n.innerText;
      } else {
        // Call a custom collecting function, throw an error, something like that.
      }
    }
    All the buzzt
    CornedBee

"Writing specifications is like writing a novel. Writing code is like writing poetry."
    - Anonymous, published by Raymond Chen

Don't PM me with your problems, I scan most of the forums daily. If you do PM me, I will not answer your question.

penagate...but if it has value within....how do i get the value and how can i change it with JavaScript ??
    Thanks !