May 2nd, 2005, 09:53 AM
Database Development FAQs & Tutorials [updated May 13 2011]
Database Development FAQ
The following is a list of frequently asked questions for working with databases, including how to use databases from VB, and creating/designing/managing databases.
Sections in this Page
For all languages/databases:
Programming language specific:
Database system specific:
Note that if you have a question which isn't answered here, it may be in another of our FAQ threads, such as the Classic VB FAQs, or the Office Development FAQs
If you can think of a "frequent" question (and preferably an answer to it as well) that you think should be added to these FAQs, please see this thread.
- May 13 2011 : [General] How can I run an ADODB based program that was compiled on Windows 7 SP1?
- Mar 8 2011 : [General] How to connect to a database on the internet
- Mar 29 2010 : [General] Why dont AutoNumber/Identity/etc re-use deleted numbers?
Last edited by si_the_geek; May 13th, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:29 AM
Database Development FAQs & Tutorials - Programming language specific
VB.NET (VB2002 and later)
Classic VB (VB6 and earlier) - ADO
- ADO Tutorial (this is an updated version of Beacon's ADO Tutorial, and includes various corrections)
for help with extending the example in the tutorial, see ADO Beginners Tutorial, Some Further Steps.
- What do the parameters of the recordset.Open method mean? (includes advice on which CursorType and LockType to use)
- Why do I get the error "Invalid use of Null" when using field values?
- Why does Recordcount sometimes equal -1?
- How can I fill a ComboBox/ListBox with values from a database?
- How can I fill a ListView with values from a database?
- How can I add a record to a database?
(includes using a Recordset, connection.Execute, a Command object, and a Stored Procedure - and discusses which is best for different situations)
- How can I work with dates correctly? (or "Why are my dates not working properly?")
- How do I use a Command object? (for why it is a good idea, see "Why should I use Parameters..." in the SQL section above)
- How do I get just a range of records, as you do in search results? (Paging)
- How can I store images (or other files) in a database?
- How can I use the Shape command?
See This article at Microsoft.com
- Where can I find the ADO documentation?
It can be found online at MSDN here, and includes many useful things such as: Recordset object, Connection object, Classic VB code examples, and ADOX
- ...If you have problems with code that isn't database specific, you may find the answer in our Classic VB FAQs
Classic VB (VB6 and earlier) - Data-bound controls
Last edited by si_the_geek; Aug 1st, 2010 at 05:46 AM.
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:54 AM
Database Development FAQs & Tutorials - Database system specific
- Where can I get the .Net provider for MySQL?
See .Net connector on the MySQL web site, documentation can be found here.
- ...For help with SQL statements, see the articles in the SQL section of this page.
Last edited by si_the_geek; Jan 25th, 2012 at 01:35 AM.
Reason: replaced link that was no longer valid
Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width
Survey posted by VBForums.