Thread: Transparent Labels!!!

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

Transparent Labels!!!

Don't expect miracles here, this code is onle 10% done, but it does demonstrate how to make a supposedly solid control "transparent".

The main code you want to look at is in the TransLab.vb file. Pay attention to the TextChanged and OnPaint methods. There has been overwhelming pressure to show this to you all so I have not had time to comment or even finish this.

Most of you are bright enough to figure out how it works

Run the test program (included) and hit the partially obscured button.

Rate me!!!!

Let me know what you think.

######
    Issues: Nothing much really, when the test app fires up, click the button as mentioned above and then label should spring to life, you may have to force a repaint by moving the form offscreen and bring it back.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I don't live here any more.

Re: Transparent Labels!!!

Nice and simple example wossy

I had a question, why do you dissallow the user to see the text changes in design time?
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Fanatic Member

Woosname....

Thats a good start.
    Can't wait until it is finished

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888
    Nice and simple example wossy

I had a question, why do you dissallow the user to see the text changes in design time?
    I didn't, not deliberately anyway, its that I didn't get round to making it public. I was only aiming to get the effect, I wasn't trying to make a full control

Epix: You'll have to wait I'm afraid. I have no plans to finish this at the moment.

Wossname, here is the updated/modified control project.
    1. Added design time transparency support.

2. Added support for the Text and ForeColor properties.

3. Added updates to the Text and ForeColor properties in design time.

4. Added ReadOnly attributes to the BackColor and BackgroundImage properties since they are not part of the controls needed properties.

5. Added descriptions to the properties in the IDE properties help text window.

6. Added defaults to the Text and ForeColor properties.

7. Added a backbuffer to optimize and reduce flickering.

Let me know what you guys think.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

this is pretty cool!
    good job, guys.

Nice job.

Is there a way to give the text the same clarity an resolution as standard labels, just with a transparent background?

Also why does the text always show up smaller than the selected font size?

Welcome to the Forums eddie2000au.

The jaggie text can not be smoothed because of the method used to draw and cut the text. Its using the
    DrawText method of the graphicspath object which does not support AntiAliasing.

The font size issue is because we didnt add support for fontsize, only fontcolor.

Glad you like it though. Maybe at some point we can determine a different method for transparency that will
    allow us to smooth the text.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by eddie2000au
    Also why does the text always show up smaller than the selected font size?
    I also found this in my own version of the control (derived directly from Class Control rather than usercontrol). Frankly I have no idea. You can set the size of the font in the properties window like with any control, but it always seems to come out about 20% smaller at runtime than it does in designmode. Weird. Must be something to do with the way GraphicsPath.AddString works.

As Rob said, antialiasing in this articular situation is impossible because there is no available background to composite with. This is a problem that would take quite a lot of time and API to fix. It is possible though, and it would probably cause a lot of overhead.

Hey wossname, any new ideas on other methods for drawing the text only.
    Perhaps some way to utilize a lables transparency to actually copy the colors behind it except for the text?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888
    Hey wossname, any new ideas on other methods for drawing the text only.
    Perhaps some way to utilize a lables transparency to actually copy the colors behind it except for the text?
    Nope. I haven't given it any further thought. Doubt I'd ever need such a control anyway.