Thread: pixels, twips and things

Hybrid View

pixels, twips and things

Im trying to dump the contents of an MSFlexGrid into an excel sheet and set the widths of the excel columns to be the same as the flex grid. I have a couple problems.

1. I can't find the units of measurement used by a flex grid.

2. Excel uses a unit of measurement that is the number of average sized characters that can fit in a cell. Well how do i convert from pixels, or whatever the flex grid is using, to this weird system?

Thanks

Re: pixels, twips and things

Quote Originally Posted by jsteel
    Im trying to dump the contents of an MSFlexGrid into an excel sheet and set the widths of the excel columns to be the same as the flex grid. I have a couple problems.

1. I can't find the units of measurement used by a flex grid.

2. Excel uses a unit of measurement that is the number of average sized characters that can fit in a cell. Well how do i convert from pixels, or whatever the flex grid is using, to this weird system?

Thanks
    The flex grid uses TWIPS (1/20 of a printer point).

72 points per inch
    20 twips to a point
    1440 twips per inch

The FLEXGRID has a .TEXTWIDTH property that will give you the TWIP size of any string you pass it.

I'm not sure how EXCEL does the average - you could pass each character - A to Z to .TEXTWIDTH and strike an average in VB - not sure if that is a match though.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

BTW - Welcome to the forum!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

szlamany beat me to the different scales, but here's the what you need for Excel (from Excel's help for ColumnWidth):

"Use the Width property to return the width of a column in points."

As 1 point = 20 twips, you just need to divide the Grid sizes by 20.