Thread: Random Number Generator

PowerPoster
    Bristol, England (but heart is in Virginia)

Random Number Generator

There seems to be no documentation on how to generate random numbers as easily as in VB6. The following generates a different sequence of number(s) in the range 0 to 45 each time it is invoked, even if the project is re-started (which is where several generators fall down).

VB Code:
    1. Dim rnd As New Random (Form or Global scope NOT local)
    3. TextBox1.Text = rnd.Next(45).ToString
    Last edited by taxes; Aug 30th, 2005 at 05:29 AM.
    Taxes
    The more I learn about VB.NET the more I like dBaseIII Plus

The foregoing, whilst believed to be correct, is given without guarantee as to it's accuracy and entirely without recourse. You are required to decide for yourself whether or not it is suitable for your purposes and no liability for loss of any nature can be entertained.

Re: Random Number Generator

Quote Originally Posted by taxes
    There seems to be no documentation on how to generate random numbers as easily as in VB6.
    The System.Random class seems well documented to me. What's your exact problem?
    "Feel the force...read the source..."
    Utilities: POPFileDebugViewProcess ExplorerWiresharkKeePassUltraVNCPic2Ascii
    .Net tools & open source: DotNetNukelog4NetCLRProfiler
    My open source projects: Thales SimulatorEFT CalculatorSystem Info ReporterVSS2SVNIBAN Functions
    Customer quote: "If the server has a RAID array, why should we bother with backups?"
    Programmer quote: "I never comment my code. Something that is hard to write should be impossible to comprehend."
    Ignorant quote: "I have no respect for universities, as they teach not practicle stuff, and charge money for"

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

Arrow Re: Random Number Generator

Quote Originally Posted by ntg
    I was thinking the same. Anyway I had this covered in this thread...
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=332527

Last edited by wossname; Apr 20th, 2005 at 02:15 PM.

PowerPoster
    Bristol, England (but heart is in Virginia)

Re: Random Number Generator

Quote Originally Posted by ntg
    I have no problem with it. This is not a problem post. I put this in the code bank because there are dozens of posts on the subject, most of which end up NOT generating random numbers at all. Look some of them up and you will see what I mean. It may be easy to you but it obviously isn't to many others. We should not really be having this discussion in the codebank section. Either start a new thread or use the private message system.
    Taxes
    The more I learn about VB.NET the more I like dBaseIII Plus

The foregoing, whilst believed to be correct, is given without guarantee as to it's accuracy and entirely without recourse. You are required to decide for yourself whether or not it is suitable for your purposes and no liability for loss of any nature can be entertained.