Page 1596 of 1722 FirstFirst ... 59610961496154615861593159415951596159715981599160616461696 ... LastLast
Results 63,801 to 63,840 of 68853

Thread: Post Race!

Re: Post Race!

Side note: I may get to work remotely too (3 mile commute currently) because we are out of space for employees at work and moving is a possibility but we are pitching the idea of remote work for my boss and I as we are teh only ones that can work remotely if needed. This would be great as I can have more time to manage the business after work. Plus if anything pops up needing immediate attention I can more easily make a phone call or write an email etc.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Yeah, telecommuting is the right length of commute. For me, it's upstairs to downstairs. Not very stressful.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

On the other hand, I ate something bad yesterday. Today....is not so goodly.

We are packed at work with employees and no room for the new hires coming on board in a week or two. We can give up our desks and it costs the owner nothing vs. putting them in the cold warehouse lol
    Hopefully they hire females so they dont put a strain on our mens bathroom HA!
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Spending a lot of time in there?

I read an article that people are up in flames about a quote from John Wayne about how he believes in white supremacy and that he believes that whites should be in charge until african-americans become educated enough post segregation back in 1971.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

I'm sitting here thinking:

You mean to tell me that someone who grew up in a racially segregated era, said something completely misguided about race and race relations back in 1971? Queue the Capt. Renault line "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!"

Speaking of race, the Indy 500 is only 3 months away.
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I'm sitting here thinking:
    To be honest, I think agree with you. I do lack context, though, so I'll stop short of exonerating him, I'll stick with "this should not condemn him"

I'm kinda tired of this tendency we have lately to drag up something from someone's distant past and use it to pillory them today without reference to the context of that past or what their behaviour has been since. Those comments reflect a mainstream, if thoroughly wrong, opinion of that time. As such the worst things they indicate are ignorance and/or a lack of courage to stand up against societal norms. I think those are sins a great many of us who've been "enlightened" by subsequent shifts are probably still guilty of today. Of course, we won't realise we are until tomorrow's "enlightenment" educates us further.

When dealing with cases like this I think you need to do two things. Set the actions in the context of the time and examine the individuals actions since. Failure to do either of those can lead us to wrong conclusions.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Yup thats like what they are doing taking down statues and anything depicting something morally wrong in todays era not remembering it was the normal for its time back in the day. Its history and we shouldnt be rewritting it.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Its history and we shouldnt be rewritting it.
    Yep, I'm down with that although I'd add a nuance: we need to find a way of making it clear that we're not celebrating it either.

We've got a debate going on in Bristol about renaming Colston Hall at the moment. Colston was a slave trader and having a concert hall named after does smack of celebrating him. Indeed, the reason it was named after him in the first place was to celebrate him. You can see why people wanted to, he bought an awful lot of wealth into the city back in the day and undertook a great many charitable works - some of the stuff he did is worth celebrating. But I can see how that leaves a sour taste in the mouth and I can see that renaming the hall offers a quick fix for that.

Personally I think it would be better to invest in a more nuanced fix and educate people about the darker side of the man. Stick up some murals in the hall depicting some of the atrocities of slavery. Have some big scrolly text on the walls describing his life and discussing just how bad slavery was.

I'm slightly reticent to condemn Colston - I think he was just successful within the warped morality of his time and I suspect most of us would have done the same had we been alive and had the means - but I think we could use Colston Hall as a vehicle to condemn the institution of slavery while acknowledging the flaws of the man. Simply renaming it might make us feel better about ourselves but we miss an opportunity to leave a visible lesson to our future selves.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

This is getting awfully serious for the Post Race.

Once I'm dead, or not too many years afterwards, nobody will be pointing out my mistaken beliefs. This will be because nobody will remember me...aside from some government reports, which will make me immortal...immortally boring, anyways. Similarly, nobody cares what John Wayne believes, cause he's dead. What people are arguing about is what we can, or should, learn from him. The same is true of many others. All those dead historic figures that we never actually met are essentially signposts in history. All that people are doing with these debates is trying to adjust the direction those signposts are pointing.

This is getting awfully serious for the Post Race.

Once I'm dead, or not too many years afterwards, nobody will be pointing out my mistaken beliefs. This will be because nobody will remember me...aside from some government reports, which will make me immortal...immortally boring, anyways. Similarly, nobody cares what John Wayne believes, cause he's dead. What people are arguing about is what we can, or should, learn from him. The same is true of many others. All those dead historic figures that we never actually met are essentially signposts in history. All that people are doing with these debates is trying to adjust the direction those signposts are pointing.

Woo-HOO!!! I managed to double post in Post Race! That's a first for me. Better still, I'm not sure that I've seen anybody manage to double post in CC, let alone Post Race. I should get TWICE the prize for that one.

Wapaboeeye!

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Personally I think it would be better to invest in a more nuanced fix and educate people about the darker side of the man. Stick up some murals in the hall depicting some of the atrocities of slavery. Have some big scrolly text on the walls describing his life and discussing just how bad slavery was.
    I like this idea of enlighting people about the entire history of him, for ex, that its not just having his name on a building but other areas of his life that were not all good. But then you get people bitching about having a mural about his negativity which may be a way of celebrating his bad side.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

However you have a statue of Joseph Stallin who was terrible yet they dont beotch and complain about celebrating a killer (although its not in the USA)

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

The view of Stalin in Russia is far more complex than the view we have.

Because tehy are all too freakin cold to get all riled up about it?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

My understanding is that lots of Russians see him as being strong, which they admire. Of course, these are not the ones that he killed off. It's hard to say how they feel. Dead, I suppose.

Well teh entire state of CA is now officially out of drought! All the rains we have been getting for about a month have pushed us past the mark for the entire year. Time to go and wash my car

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Yeah, we are getting totally slammed. That's good, because we started off below average, so it took a good long time to dig out of that hole...but boy have we!! Two feet of snow in two days, and we were already slightly above average for the year by then.

Nothing left in the valley, though. A good snowpack is good for everybody.

PowerPoster

Well Northern Ca is still being hit (next three days) and it's heading toward Idaho. Luckily I'm on the Southern edge and it hasn't been bad so far.

We’ve had a lot of rain, but thankfully not to flooding levels.

If we get a lot of rain, at the moment, we'll be in BIG trouble. Nothing like a rain on snow event to create a massive flood. Probably won't happen, though.

We have another big storm coming late Friday night and will last through Monday morning!!!

Just saw an article on our local dam. Its old and not up to todays codes and safety standards. Its been moved up to #1 priority on the national dam retrofitting/upgrading schedule. If it fails the city next to it will get 12-20 feet of flooding. Our house (next city over) is somewhat up in the hills (we get to deal with all the coyotes and freaking squirrels) so its safe but my rental house (same city and rented by my daughter) is projected to have 4 feet of flooding.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Your daughter might soon have water views!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

The house is on a pier and beam foundation so its maybe 1.5 - 2 feet off the ground but my Shelby is stored in the garage at ground level

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Your squirrels are freaking, too?? Give them some weed. It's legal there, right?

I think we won't be getting your next storm. I hear that one will be pushed south of Idaho by a high pressure ridge. It's been raining this morning, but should wind up tomorrow. It's all snow on the mountains, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Your squirrels are freaking, too?? Give them some weed. It's legal there, right?
    Yea it is but Im not giving them sheet! They keep eating our tangerines off our tree and getting all up in our engine bays of our cars leaving their lunch left overs and such

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Sounds like they've already got enough weed. Maybe you should cut them off?

I should put poison in teh tangerines so when they steal them they will die but with my luck I will forget and eat one and die a slow painful death lol

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

PowerPoster

I've lived in my condo for over 21yrs and never had a pest problem but last year a rat showed up. It ate all kinds of vacuum hoses, water hoses and electrical wires in the engine bay of my van. Damn thing even ate the water hose on my washing machine and flooded my garage. Cost me a lot of money. Finally caught it on a glue trap and took a hammer to it. Left it there for week as a warning to any friends he might have. So far so good.

Name:  Roland.PNG
Views: 522
Size:  240.0 KB

You probably need to be a brit and the right age for that one

I'm not sure that "leaving it there for a week" hurts anybody but you...and your neighbors. I'm not sure that rats learn by observation....for that matter, I'm not so sure that humans do, either.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I've lived in my condo for over 21yrs and never had a pest problem but last year a rat showed up. It ate all kinds of vacuum hoses, water hoses and electrical wires in the engine bay of my van. Damn thing even ate the water hose on my washing machine and flooded my garage. Cost me a lot of money. Finally caught it on a glue trap and took a hammer to it. Left it there for week as a warning to any friends he might have. So far so good.
    This is my thinking too. Send a message to all his squirrel buddies not to mess with my stuff.

Our dogs got a hold of one recently while it was eating our tangerines and before I could get to them he was on his last breath.

Name:  IMG_20181102_173346_1024x768.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  36.2 KB

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Meanwhile, the population doubled.

Squirrels are not in short supply. I would guess that they're one of the creatures that has highly benefited from humanity. We have beggar squirrels on the greenbelt that aggressively approach people looking for handouts. The only reason they aren't more bold is that most people aren't actually carrying food. If they could count on that, I expect we'd have cases of them running up peoples legs.

They just trying to get a nut lol

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Page 1596 of 1722 FirstFirst ... 59610961496154615861593159415951596159715981599160616461696 ... LastLast