Page 1585 of 1722 FirstFirst ... 58510851485153515751582158315841585158615871588159516351685 ... LastLast
Results 63,361 to 63,400 of 68853

Thread: Post Race!

Re: Post Race!

I'd always write up a quick little program to get it to continually display changing numbers. It was kind of a test to see whether the salesman knew anything about what they were selling.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I spent today getting thrashed by a river. I'm pretty well thrashed, by now. Fun day.

Love me some rockafeller skank...
    Last edited by szlamany; Aug 17th, 2018 at 08:18 PM.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Now THERE's a statement you don't hear very often.

Fall has arrived. The air is cleaner and cooler than it has been for the last few months.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Fall has arrived.
    I never understood why Autumn was such a problem word that someone said to themselves what we really need here is a word more literal, something that tells us what is happening around us so we know exactly what time of year it is !

The air is cleaner and cooler than it has been for the last few months.
    Also clearly your weather isn't as busted as ours is, in the UK we had 3 months of almost uninterrupted sun, then in August it has rained almost constantly, and now it looks like September will be sunny again.

This is NOT how British summers are supposed to be and we are confused!
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

We had a few months of almost uninterrupted smoke. How busted is that? Heck, it wasn't even our smoke. We were importing from California, Oregon or Washington. We had plenty of home-grown smoke, but apparently that wasn't good enough for us.

immigrant smoke coming over here invading our nostrils
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

If they want to make an ash of themselves, that's their business, but they should keep their smoke to themselves.

PowerPoster

You should build a wall. that'll solve the problem.

We call it fall ‘cause the leaves fall.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    I never understood why Autumn was such a problem word that someone said to themselves what we really need here is a word more literal, something that tells us what is happening around us so we know exactly what time of year it is !
    Those in glass houses should not cast stones - seems your side of the pond made this word up!

The alternative word fall for the season traces its origins to old Germanic languages. The exact derivation is unclear, with the Old English fiæll or feallan and the Old Norse fall all being possible candidates. However, these words all have the meaning "to fall from a height" and are clearly derived either from a common root or from each other. The term came to denote the season in 16th-century England, a contraction of Middle English expressions like "fall of the leaf" and "fall of the year".[15]

During the 17th century, English emigration to the British colonies in North America was at its peak, and the new settlers took the English language with them. While the term fall gradually became obsolete in Britain, it became the more common term in North America.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

And doesn't fall seems a much better "opposite" to spring?

Autumn? Struggling here...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Wouldn't vernal be the opposite of autumnal. So, shouldn't spring be vern?

Google spell check doesn't recognize Vern!! I guess that movie just sucked too much.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

This is NOT how British summers are supposed to be
    This is EXACTLY how British summers are supposed to be. I.e. utterly inconsistent and conforming to no identifiable ruleset whatsoever.

August was actually pretty decent down here. We had about a week of rain including a massive storm over the bank holiday when I got baffled into going camping but other than that it's not been bad. Eee, it's grim oop North.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

We didn't see a drop of rain, but the temperatures rarely topped 100, and the smoke was only a haze, so it was a pretty good August for out here.

We thought that Gordon was going to hit us, but it looks like it moved towards Mississippi. It really sucked because I was vacationing in Orange Beach, so when I left we had Labor Day traffic combined with evacuation traffic. A 6 hour drive took us 12!

Gordon's ALIVE!!!!
    Name:  Gordon.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  35.7 KB
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

"Flash, oo ah, he will save every one of us!"

"No! Not the bore worms!!!"

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

I.... don't know who that is.

Flash Gordon, son. Some of us are obviously too old

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

He was a supposed quarterback, playing running back, in a sci-fi movie.

By the way, I remember tropical storm Gordon really well, but that was back in 1994. I remember the name because there was a geologist by the same name. The storm went through the Florida straights and dumped about 8 inches of rain on us. It then got out into the gulf, turned around, and came back across south Florida, dropping another 11 inches of rain. It then went up to North Carolina, turned into a hurricane, brushed the outer banks, dropped back to a tropical storm, then swept down across Florida for a third time, mostly staying north of us.

Are they really recycling the names so soon?

I.... don't know who that is.
    Honestly!? What are they teaching kids these days?!

Flash Gordon is probably the single most cheesy and simultaneously single most brilliant film ever committed to celluloid. And it might help explain the location I've been sporting in my profile since I joined the forum

"DIVE!!"

Sinecure devotee

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post

Are they really recycling the names so soon?
    1994 sounds right for the name Gordon, as that would be 24 years ago. They have a list of list of names that they cycle though, so the same name will show up, I believe, every 12 years (could be six years). In any case, if a storm is particularly destructive, the name is retired and replaced, so you won't have another Andrew, Camille, Katrina, etc...

That earlier Gordon could have been retired for the amusement value, alone. Most tracks are just a curved line across some part of the South Atlantic. That one had loops, jitters, flips, and flops.

I do vaguely remember that they started cycling the names, now. I always wanted a Hurricane Zelda. We may end up getting that far down the list, one of these days.

Sinecure devotee

It is a six year cycle. The current lists were created in 1979, when half the names used were to be associated with male names, where previously all the storms were generally associated with being feminine.
    A good reference is this for the Atlantic storms.. I guess the latest replacements were Martin for Mathew and Owen for Otto for the two storm names retired from the 2016 season.

I use a Flash drive in my computer.

but I guess that's a different topic....
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

I thought Adobe dropped Flash...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Nobody drops Flash. If they do he just gets Brian Blessed to catch him and fly him the rest of the way to Ming's Palace.

There was so much cheese in that movie, I was bound up for a week after watching it.

This is EXACTLY how British summers are supposed to be. I.e. utterly inconsistent and conforming to no identifiable ruleset whatsoever.
    I really meant its not supposed to be HOT for 3 whole months, that is inconsistent with our consistent inconsistency

That's the thing about random....sometimes it doesn't seem that way.

Liking a little Fibonacci Sequence...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

I prefer focaccia. With a little dab of olive oil and a balsamic drizzle.

I have just come back from Italy and one of my favorite things to eat were the takeaway Panini, Ciabatta & Focaccia hot sandwiches delicious !

Panini, Ciabatta & Focaccia sound like awfully bland fillings for a sandwich. You wanna get a bit of cheese and pickle in there.

Weren't those Renaissance sculptors?

By the way, I wanted to try something out.

Code:
    If this Is Code
      CauseDuplicates()
    End if
    VB Code:
    1. If This Is ChitChat Then
    2.  CauseDuplicates()
    3. End If

Weren't those Renaissance sculptors?

By the way, I wanted to try something out.

Code:
    If this Is Code
      CauseDuplicates()
    End if
    VB Code:
    1. If This Is ChitChat Then
    2.  CauseDuplicates()
    3. End If

HA! That's the first time I've gotten a duplicate post in the one place where blather and duplication has little impact.

I remember Steve saying that code snippets seemed to be related to the duplication issue, yet the Post Race hasn't had duplication. I was thinking that might be because there were no code snippets since the vBulletin change. Now I add a snippet...and immediately get a duplication.

Of course, this leaves open the question as to whether or not I just poisoned the Post Race and we'll now see duplicates abound.

Poisoned Post Race! Oh my!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Page 1585 of 1722 FirstFirst ... 58510851485153515751582158315841585158615871588159516351685 ... LastLast