Page 1573 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 57310731473152315631570157115721573157415751576158316231673 ... LastLast
Results 62,881 to 62,920 of 68910

Thread: Post Race!

Re: Post Race!

Not fun
    Even less so for Corpus Christi and surrounding areas.

Here's to hoping y'all pull through ok.

You don't want to know.

Yeah, looking at news from Rockport and Corpus Christi yesterday was heartbreaking. Today's heartbreak is trying to keep in touch with friends in Houston and trying to figure out if they're going to be OK. All the junk passing over them looks like it might turn around and hit me late this afternoon, but it'll be significantly weaker by that time.

I can't tell exactly how much rainfall we got yesterday because Weather Underground is unreliable as hell. The last I looked they claimed about 3.6" accumulated, but at 10:30 it magically switched to 2.3" and rainfall doesn't work like that.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

Addicted Member

I watched several pages and videos, and it did not look good at all.

Strongs for anybody in those areas!
    Programmers are very patient people....while programming....but don't expect them to be patient all the time

My lights continue to go off and on, thankfully I'm next to the Elementry School, High School, and (only) Hospital so we tend to get priority.

My house nearly flooded and during some of the really bad weather, we dug a ditch to lead to our main ditch which really helped (boy say that 5 times fast). My business location is about to flood, there is a bayou that is right behind it though, so no surprise there.

Unfortunately, it looks like Harvey is going to make a third landfall up the same location that Rita. We're bracing for Harvey to hit us on early Wednesday morning. What really sucks is how wet this summer has been. I think this is going to be my last post on VBForums for a while. In case you don't know, I own a captive insurance agency and so I'm sure that this will be taking up a lot of my time.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Addicted Member

It's easy for someone who sit far away in a sunny land to say good things. I will never understand the feel and loss unless it happens to me(us).

I hope that everything will be on your side and you guys will survive.

I'm at loss of words....
    Programmers are very patient people....while programming....but don't expect them to be patient all the time

My home didn't flood, but the electricity is out until tomorrow at 10 PM. My office got some water in it, but all I'll need to do is pop the baseboards off and clean them up. Unfortunately, I think something may have died under my office and I can't find it so it sticks like crazy.

My friend who owns an agency in Vidor, TX. lost everything though. Her house has 6 feet of water and her office has water up to the roof line. My employee's nanny who lives in Houston also flooded up to the roof line.

The unfortunate thing in all this is that the hurricane itself didn't do much damage, it was the flooding, and since only 17% of the people carry flood insurance... well you can see where this is going.

dday

Good to see you up and kicking.

The water thing in the entire region is truly nasty.
    Will be interesting to see how Congress deals with the flood insurance issue, My recollection is that there was disagreement following Sandy, and now the shoe appears to be on the other foot.

Spoo

Personal hat (not professional opinion): I don't think that Congress should subsidize the flood claims. These people deliberately refused flood insurance and in many cases signed refusal letters stating that they knew that flood damage is not covered under homeowners insurance or paid off their homes and immediately dropped the flood insurance as soon as it isn't required.

Morning guys!
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Afternoon all! At least in 5 minutes...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Self employed since 1988...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

...changes tomorrow...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    Likely to be a disturbance in the force!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

What made you decide to work for someone? The supplemental products, major medical, guaranteed pay, or all/some of the above?

Client of mine since 1988 - IT job became available - I cold called them and said I was interested - 2 weeks later all sewn up.

Outrageous benefits were a big consideration.

Freedom of self employment is balanced by peeks and valleys in cash flow. If it was all peeks - that would be one thing.

They were actually one of my last clients running my old VB6 4GL app. Now I see nothing that will stop me from migrating that to my current web based rich-internet-app.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

That is one of the benefits of owning an insurance agency. I get paid on renewals and so even if I have a valley then I still have the renewals to fall back on.

When I sell software clients pay maintenance annually so I've always got that. And I will be keeping most of that for the foreseeable future.

It's only 15% of original cost - so it's not like renewals are to you.

I've always compared myself more to how an attorney gets paid. There are times of great piles of billable hours and then stretches of pro bene work.

One of my clients does social work for various special needs groups. They just had a state grant cut by $500,000 dollar - that led to them discharging over 100 participants. Those participants will be right back in the ER and in jail before you know it and the stupid state of CT is going to have to pay anyway.

Any modifications that I was looking forward to doing in their app this year pretty much evaporated.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Client of mine since 1988 - IT job became available - I cold called them and said I was interested - 2 weeks later all sewn up.
    I would say Good Luck, but it sounds like you have landed on your feet and are in no need of luck, so instead i will just say congratulations.

I sometimes get asked by friends of mine why i dont go and setup my own business and work for myself, and my reply is why the hell would i do that?

Yes i could probably earn more, but its more stress and less holidays and i would have to arrange my own pension. At my current job i work from 8.30am till 4pm and then i go home and forget completely about work until the next day, and i spend zero time working at the weekends.

This summer just gone i went on Holiday for 3 weeks, i couldn't imagine doing that if i worked for myself
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

I totally understand your decision Steve. I have been there and switched over to employment. The stresses of the ups and downs just don't outweigh the benefits. I'm back to working two jobs again: employment for programming and my non-competing side business.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

SZ

Just be sure you come to the Forums every once in a while.

Spoo

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    I would say Good Luck, but it sounds like you have landed on your feet and are in no need of luck, so instead i will just say congratulations.

I sometimes get asked by friends of mine why i dont go and setup my own business and work for myself, and my reply is why the hell would i do that?

Yes i could probably earn more, but its more stress and less holidays and i would have to arrange my own pension. At my current job i work from 8.30am till 4pm and then i go home and forget completely about work until the next day, and i spend zero time working at the weekends.

This summer just gone i went on Holiday for 3 weeks, i couldn't imagine doing that if i worked for myself
    Thanks! And I could not agree more with your points. I have not had a big vacation in years - and my weekends are always half work and no home projects ever getting done!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    I totally understand your decision Steve. I have been there and switched over to employment. The stresses of the ups and downs just don't outweigh the benefits. I'm back to working two jobs again: employment for programming and my non-competing side business.
    It's a big change - after the first few days I am already feeling the goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by Spooman View Post
    SZ

Just be sure you come to the Forums every once in a while.

Spoo
    I'm being forced to use SSRS - I might actually be asking some questions!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

You don't want to know.

Hey, congrats szlamany! Those peaks and valleys are why I've never really tried freelancing. I get too nervous about the valleys.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

Addicted Member

Strongs on Irma. Hope you guys will be all right out there

Been walkin' for a few weeks, now, and completely out of touch. What's been happening in the world?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Not much .. Dallas and Philly lost, Skins won.

Oh yeah, Hillary's new book is out. She fondly reminisces about Trump's hover-craft moves during the 2nd debate,

And then there's Laura Ingraham. She's pining for some of Amnesty Don's samples.
    Last edited by Spooman; Sep 18th, 2017 at 06:23 AM.

Now THAT's a pretty random sample of the last few weeks.

Guilty as charged.

I went and visited my brother at Fort Hood.

He showed me his Class A which was updated to have the purple heart ribbon.

I emptied a storage container I had in my driveway - screaming like a girl every time I came across a mouse!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Name:  347242146_6838.png
Views: 2194
Size:  195.1 KB

Basically that was it - although I wasn't wearing red pumps!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

But the skirt is spot on???

That cartoon has so many levels of confusion. It would only be more confusing if Goofy was in it. Minnie Mouse being scared by a mouse....makes life difficult for Mickey, but if Pluto is their dog, just what the heck IS Goofy?

I have a class A, too, but I think it's probably a bit different. Mine's a class A CDL. Got an absolutely awesome discount at a motel the other day. The gal saw my CDL and gave me darn near 50% off the room. That's a pretty good trucker discount.

I was just finishing up the final clean up - had a 5 gallon bucket full of casters and wheels of various sizes. I took it out of the POD two days ago - it was just sitting in the driveway.

I take two large wheels off the top and see a nest. So I decide to pour the bucket into the driveway (gravel driveway - about to get it paved...).

I start looking through the mess and there is a little brown mouse and a blind baby trying their best to hide from me. I grab a wheel or two and the mom darts off to under the POD...

At which point the soft side of me decides to grab the baby with my gloved hands and toss it under the POD.

I'm guessing the snakes are about to have a good meal - at least I didn't kill it!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    I took it out of the POD two days ago
    Are we talking about
    • pea, or
    • landing

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I like these options -

Pod (Pokémon), the Japanese name for the Pokémon character Chili
    Planet of Death, a computer game
    POD 2, a sequel to Planet of Death
    Pod, a format used by Current TV
    EVA Pod, a fictional spacecraft in 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Pod, a fictional organic gaming console featured in the movie existenz
    Pod, the growth medium for the replacements in Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    POD, the Personal Overhaul Device on 'Snog Marry Avoid' TV Program
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

LOL

Too bad Rating is not possible in Chit-Chat ..

POD

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Page 1573 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 57310731473152315631570157115721573157415751576158316231673 ... LastLast