Page 1467 of 1725 FirstFirst ... 4679671367141714571464146514661467146814691470147715171567 ... LastLast
Results 58,641 to 58,680 of 68961

Thread: Post Race!

Re: Post Race!

Well, if that's the valve...what's the faucet? My guess would be the nose. I've felt like that at times.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

What is valve? I believe I may've heard of it before.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

It's a device used to regulate flow. There are other names for them, including faucet, and thingamajig.

Lol, I know what a regular valve is. I thought there was some software called valve.

Valve is supplement software to Steam. You open the valve to let off Steam

Now I definitely heard of Steam before. I think my friend downloads all sorts of games from them.

"Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    Lol, I know what a regular valve is. I thought there was some software called valve.
    I had no idea, so, since this is post race, I answered as I did.

Aren't those the furry little invasive creatures taking over the US southeast? Or a spread made from them?

So....now people can refer to that nut Ella.

Since this is the post race, let me mention my conclusion from DeflationGate.

For those who have been living in caves for the last week, there was some controversy over the balls used by the New England Patriots in the AFC title game. Some 11 out of 12 of the balls were found to be under inflated by about 2 PSI. A company in Pittsburg has recently gone public with a study that replicated the rainy, cold, conditions under which the game was played, and the warmer, drier, clubhouse where the balls were supposedly initially tested. They found a drop of about 1 PSI due to the temperature, and about 2 PSI when the temperature was combined with the balls being wet. In other words, this appears to be physics at work, and isn't really worth discussing....except that I thought it was Boyle's Law that governed this, so I went to the net to check it out, and that's when I discovered the ugly little secret of the universe.

There are three ideal gas laws that relate temperature, pressure, and volume. I kind of think that these laws were kind of divied up among eminent scientists of whatever era that was, because the three points are related, so why did it take so many different people to figure them out? Boyle's Law relates pressure and volume at a constant temperature, but apparently, Boyle couldn't be bothered to go on and hold pressure or volume constant and figure out the relationship of temperature to the other two. Sounds dodgy to me. At first, I thought they just wanted to spread the wealth. Let Boyle relate pressure and volume, while Charles related volume and temperature.

But then I noticed the third leg of that stool: The law that relates pressure to temperature at constant volumes, which is therefore, the law that governs the deflation/inflation of balls with temperature. The name of that law is not a simple name like Boyle or Charles. It's the Gay-Lussac Law. If you just glossed right over that name, go back and say it again......sloooowly.............while thinking about how it relates to ball deflation. That's when it struck me: The universe is an adolescent boy that has been waiting hundreds of years for people to get the joke. Heck, it doesn't even matter whether you use the modern or archaic definition of "gay".

Just imagine it in a Bevis and Butthead voice, "Hehehehe....ball deflation...hehehehe....soft balls....gay!...loose sack!....hehehehe!"

Hehehe. Stool. Hehe.

It's a conspiracy of low-brow comedians.

Just saw a thread with this wording in General Developer:

Hello jocular mater is a suborn and elements diablo ser Ocie93tx3L mokitpse
    tuapse deremosimus Ocie93tx3LOcie93tx3L Patriarh was burg brill teeth sentience reasonable
    Intimate issues post of turistus in your days and years
    Discuss!

Hello jocular mater is a suborn and elements diablo ser Ocie93tx3L mokitpse
    tuapse deremosimus Ocie93tx3LOcie93tx3L Patriarh was burg brill teeth sentience reasonable
    Intimate issues post of turistus in your days and years
    Name:  10298871_709428082454962_4977167606760521551_n.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  10.7 KB
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel

A (very) good friend of mine who's into ham radio picked up this 1940s-era Turner CX crystal microphone at a hamfest last weekend for $50 because he knew I would love it and be more than happy to reimburse him for it.

Name:  turner_cx.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  20.4 KB

The guy he bought it from said it doesn't work and 70 year-old operable crystals are pretty much extinct outside of museums. But when I opened it up I found the hot wire (to the center of the connector) was broken, and frayed wire strands were shorting the contacts. It is entirely possible (though highly unlikely) this crystal actually works. I'm going to rig up a test cable and try it.

Oh Elwood.

Bow bow bow...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

One cat picture? No more discussion on that profound subject than that?

What da ya want for nothing?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

The look on the cat's face made more sense to me than the quote.

So Homer. How does a crystal Microphone work? Is it a Piezoelectric crystal or something else?
    Last edited by Gruff; Jan 27th, 2015 at 10:21 AM.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

You guys don't get to see the full panoply of surreal madness that never makes it onto the forum. I kid you not, the General Developer Forum is usually about 80% garbage which we'll delete off before it becomes visible and some of the combinations are truly bizarre.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

It didn't translate anyway - at least not all at once...

I got my own puzzles to code through - and the whole fargin northeast got shutdown today. I had an important meeting in NYC today that got canceled!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

the General Developer Forum is usually about 80% garbage which we'll delete off before it becomes visible and some of the combinations are truly bizarre.
    Ehh... I think 98% is more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruff View Post
    The look on the cat's face made more sense to me than the quote.

So Homer. How does a crystal Microphone work? Is it a Piezoelectric crystal or something else?
    That's exactly what it is. This page explains it better than I can.

Unfortunately those old crystals mics from the '40s and '50s were very fragile. Drop one onto a hard floor and you'll kill it. Temperature extremes can kill it as well. Store it in a hot attic or cold garage and you'll kill it. And even if you're very careful and protect it well it will still dry out and shrink over time and start to rattle. That will kill it as well.

But when they were new they were coveted by harmonica players for their tone that became known an the "Chicago honk." A lot of Little Walter Jacobs' recordings (as well as many others) were done through an Astatic JT-30 crystal mic.

I checked mine last night and all I got was a loud hum. But no matter, I have a hot vintage Shure magnetic element from the '70s that will fit that shell.

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    I got my own puzzles to code through - and the whole fargin northeast got shutdown today. I had an important meeting in NYC today that got canceled!
    Seems there have been a lot of forecasts of Armageddon lately that turned out to be greatly exaggerated. The storm that hit Buffalo a few weeks back was originally supposed to hit us, but a small shift in the winds gave us only six inches of snow instead of the forecast 3-4 feet. So Buffalo got to dig out. But they're used to it...

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    Oh Elwood.
    The Blues Brothers poster was more appropriate for that photo than one of the vintage racing posters I have hanging in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by homer13j View Post
    That's exactly what it is. This page explains it better than I can.
    Nice read on piezoelectricity...

For those interested - this wiki explains the diff mics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone

Edison took his patents on the carbon mic to some truly serious and innovative commercial use.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    You guys don't get to see the full panoply of surreal madness that never makes it onto the forum. I kid you not, the General Developer Forum is usually about 80% garbage which we'll delete off before it becomes visible and some of the combinations are truly bizarre.
    So, that full panoply of surreal madness only makes it onto the forum in Chit-Chat?

Actually, it sounds like the mods are trying to lay a guilt trip on us to get more respect, or something.

The mods prayer.
    Oh great and powerful mods we are not worthy to question your choices we grovel at your feet.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Ehh... I think 98% is more accurate.
    True dat.

So, that full panoply of surreal madness only makes it onto the forum in Chit-Chat?
    I hold the secret suspicion that the whole of Chit Chat is populated by future spam bots, it's the only possible explanation for the post race.

The mods prayer
    It goes something like:-
    Yay though we walk through the shadow of death we shall fear not the puns of Shaggy,
    We pray that Ident won't upset anyone this week and that JM shall learn some compassion from the weak,
    Deliver us from JR's avatars muscle shirt and power glove (which even a deity like yerself has got to admit is a dodgy combination),
    Let not your followers start another thread about whether VB6 is better than .Net,
    Let Niya post no nipples,
    These things we beseech you,
    Amen
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

You guys don't get to see the full panoply of surreal madness that never makes it onto the forum. I kid you not, the General Developer Forum is usually about 80% garbage which we'll delete off before it becomes visible and some of the combinations are truly bizarre
    Cant you just move the posts to Chit Chat, where they will appear sane?
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

i was doing a pen testing on a site ! i could get the columns information and the password was this : 5d36fb9e6442ea74433b562bbd54c04b8ea4e97dee530c276ccf370f8d7fa41128e2046155a1234769004ca0d39428a623f9 4817837c4a51f9dde409accf9923
    now correct me if im wrong! this is a 128 encrypted string right ?
    Body Language tells the truth! even from the grave tsaeb eht morf gninnur ,nwod deaH
    All the big things started from little! teef my tsap evom sekans ,duol raor slluB
    Lietome.ir

What's a pen testing?

I just assumed that post was from General Developer and got moved here due to it being bizarro...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

penetration testing and no
    Body Language tells the truth! even from the grave tsaeb eht morf gninnur ,nwod deaH
    All the big things started from little! teef my tsap evom sekans ,duol raor slluB
    Lietome.ir

Ah, so testing out how easy it is to hack into a website?

One of my customers hired a firm to teach me how to break into our own site - showed us how to use tools - I bought two books they recommended.

Interesting.

This same customer hired a security firm a few years ago that actually "hid" in the building until after hours and then dug around the administrators offices finding passwords stashed in desk draws.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

This same customer hired a security firm a few years ago that actually "hid" in the building until after hours and then dug around the administrators offices finding passwords stashed in desk draws.
    Wow, dedication.

Page 1467 of 1725 FirstFirst ... 4679671367141714571464146514661467146814691470147715171567 ... LastLast