Page 1488 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 4889881388143814781485148614871488148914901491149815381588 ... LastLast
Results 59,481 to 59,520 of 68908

Thread: Post Race!

Re: Post Race!

You mean the one around the Nepalese version, right?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Anyone looking for a job? No qualifications necessary...

Saudi advertises for swordsmen as execution rate soars

Think about the doors that will open when you have the words "Experienced Executioner" on your resume...
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

Does that prepare you for an executive position?

If no experience one could take a stab at it.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

On another topic.

Attachment 126769

~T

~T

I miss the Weekly World News...

Name:  koi_ap_24_g.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  87.4 KB
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel

All the news that is barely fit to be made up?

Wow...
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Made up? You mean Dick Cheney is NOT a robot?

Robots cannot have milk, but I've never seen Dick Cheney drink milk before...

Name:  240px-ADTearjerker.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  30.8 KB

That hillary, She like crazy for them aliens.
    Attachment 126785

This one kills me. Glad our reporters are Sooo evolved.

Attachment 126787
    Last edited by Gruff; May 19th, 2015 at 01:24 PM.

~T

Gender inequality is a subject that I do not agree with.

A lot of people think that believe in gender inequality also feel as though I am suppressing my wife because I encourage her to not work, but to stay at home with our son.

However, I've heard her talk with some of her friends who are working(in particular we have a lot of single mom friends) and she brags that she doesn't have to work.

She did pick up baby sitting one of my cousin's sons for $15 a day to make herself a little bit of side money, which I fully support her in.

The city of Portland just raised their city employee minimum wage to $15.00 an hour. Your wife should raise her rates!

~T

We're doing it for family, normally it would be a bit more, but probably still less than minimum wage.

Stick it to the family. Remember the old phrase: "Blood is thicker than water." So, if you don't bleed your family members dry, they might fall into the water and sink.

We all know what happened to George Washington when he was bled.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Stick it to the family. Remember the old phrase: "Blood is thicker than water." So, if you don't bleed your family members dry, they might fall into the water and sink.
    Not if they are in the shallow end of the gene pool.

~T

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Gender inequality is a subject that I do not agree with.
    A lot of people think that believe in gender inequality also feel as though I am suppressing my wife because I encourage her to not work, but to stay at home with our son.
    They are too different things.

Parenthood and the choice a couple make over how the bring up there children as long as it is a choice by both is not gender inequality, nor should it be judged as such.

Men and women being paid differently for doing the same job with the same levels of experience, that's gender inequality and not something that is fair or reasonable.

Pay and working conditions should not be gender biased, they can be experience & competence bias and in fact should be, although judging by the number of incompetent managers i have worked with over the years this is clearly not the case !!!!
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

I have nothing to add, and this is the place to do so.

Men and women being paid differently for doing the same job with the same levels of experience, that's gender inequality and not something that is fair or reasonable.
    How often does this really happen though?

Take Hillary Clinton for example, on the far right they claim that she paid female employees 72 cents for every dollar she paid male employees but on the far left they claim that she paid her male employees 92 cents for every dollar she paid female employees. If you go with the far right's claim then that is obvious inequality, 28% less pay is close a third less. If you go with the far left then is that income inequality? It's only 8%, but men are indeed getting paid less.

I think that if a man and a woman apply for the same job and they both get the job, whoever leveraged the best for a higher pay deserves it. For example, if they're both being interviewed and the man demands $15/hour but the interviewer rebuttals and counters with $12/hour but the man settles with $13.50 an hour then good for him. If the woman demands $15/hour but the interviewer rebuttals and counters with $12/hour and the woman settles with $12/hour, then it's her loss. Sure they are getting paid differently for the same job, but one played their hand better than the other and that is how free market capitalism works. The market dictates everything!

On a side note, just because I think that the far left claim digs Hillary further into a hole than the far right's claim. The far left claim that 4 of the 5 highest paid jobs went to women and that the majority of the staff was women, but that women in general were only paid slightly higher then men. If women are holding higher paying jobs and more jobs, then why is there almost no inequality? Are the few men that were employed being paid higher than the others and if so, does that show income inequality?

On a final note, I work with my dad so occasionally I'll try and peak at other employee's pay checks... I get paid less than every other licensed employee even though I'm one of two employees that hold both property and casualty license as well as life, health, and accident all other employees only have property and casualty. Also, other than my dad, I'm the only male employee. I don't complain though because I know if a few years whenever he retires that I'll get the opportunity to purchase his agency. Is this another example of income inequality?

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    I think that if a man and a woman apply for the same job ...
    No, No, No.

That's logical thinking and is sexist. This statement in and of itself implies that moment getting paid less than men, when argued by a woman is illogical, so therefore calling a woman illogical, and thus, sexist.

If the far right are claiming what every feminist claims - that men get paid more than women - how is that out of line with what those who espouse inequality are stating? Somehow the far right are now evil for stating such? Based purely on the statement that women get paid less than men, and women in the employ of Hillary Clinton fit this known fact, how is it that this makes the far right at fault? Is this like an n-word thing? Black people can say it but white people can't?
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Is this like an n-word thing?
    Never? Like never say never.

Are you all feminists or something ?
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

What's this bit about negotiating for a salary? I've never been in a position to try that, I wonder how it would work?

Lots of places make an offer based on the job and not the applicant. That's how it is here. You get X/hour. If men were offered Y and women were offered X for the same job, then that would be a gender bias. If they are both offered X, then it isn't a gender bias. If they can negotiate for W when offered X, then the potential for bias does creep back in, though that isn't even posssible in some places (such as where I work).

Well I guess I will be unpopular in this latest topic.

Personally I believe in paying someone for their skill set.
    Their ability to self start and follow through regardless of sex.

Truth be told though I have seen Women with mechanical engineering diploma that could not engineer their way out of a paper bag in the real world.

On the other hand I've met some great female software engineers.

It's probably just that there are very few really good female mechanical engineers and I haven't had the good luck to meet one.

I have to say I would feel the same about a man hired for reasons other than his ability.
    Seen some of those as well. Management usually tries to cover up bad hires. It makes their decisions look bad.

~T

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Pay and working conditions should not be gender biased, they can be experience & competence bias and in fact should be, although judging by the number of incompetent managers i have worked with over the years this is clearly not the case !!!!
    I reckon we're only one labour government away from not being allowed to recruit on basis of competence. Mind you, that labour government is looking at least 10 years off right now.

I think the gender inequality in pay rarely comes from two people doing the same job on different salaries (although this does happen and usually in favour of us fellas) but rather about the fact that higher paying roles are usually dominated by men and men tend to get promoted further up the company chain. There's a huge discrepancy between the number of male and female CEOs in fortune 500 companies, for example. And a huge discrepancy in the makeup of the house of commons (I don't know about your side of the pond but I'm willing to bet it's similar). There are far more men in the professions (sciences, law, accountancy, doctors etc.) than there are women. The net effect is that, on average, women make less than men, just not necessarilly in the same jobs. I'm sure some of that comes from gender discrimination but most probably comes from biological and social considerations.

I'm a firm believer in gender equality. That's why I think women should be allowed to work overtime, so they can make as much as the men.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I reckon we're only one labour government away from not being allowed to recruit on basis of competence. Mind you, that labour government is looking at least 10 years off right now.
    And one more Tory government away from there being no employee rights left at all

You say that like its a good thing FD, wait until you have had a couple of years of a full on Tory government and see if you still feel the same. I think people have short memories!

I think the gender inequality in pay rarely comes from two people doing the same job on different salaries
    Hmm i think you are all in denial a bit, maybe because in our profession actually it's not bad, having access to salaries for a while now at my last and current jobs, the women (and unusually i have worked with quite a few women developers) are paid generally the same or similar to the men for the same jobs and experience. And i think that's the same for many skilled jobs.

Where you find the difference is right at the top (as FD said) but also at the bottom.

For instance Asda Supermarket (owned by Walmart) store workers – the majority of whom are female – are currently taking legal action on the basis that they are being paid up to £4p/h less for doing similar tasks performed by the largely male warehouse workers.

£4 Pounds an Hour less, that's $6.23 less an hour !!! and there one of the worlds biggest companies!

Now before some of you start saying that the Warehouse workers must be doing more or harder work for this extra pay, just think how much harder would they have to be working to deserve an extra £4 an hour ???

I will answer that for you they would have to be working almost double as hard.

Are you all feminists or something ?
    Lol trust Niya,

this is about the least feminist (virtual or other) place i have ever frequented!!
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

You say that like its a good thing FD
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a confirmed lefty and was only being focetious. Actually, I'm a lib dem supporter as I see them as left but moderate which pretty much describes my own politics. Apparently I'm in a minority of 1 on that now

I did think the age discrimination laws Labour bought in a couple of terms ago were starting to push at the edge of reason (age is actually a pretty important consideration for an employer lookng for a long term member of staff who you're going to invest in training for) but they did still fall within the bounds of reason. I'm more bothered by Labours total aversion to education being based on competence. I actually think the old system of Grammars and Secondary Moderns had alot of merit but two major flaws: it was too difficult to move between the streams so the 11+ could damn you for life for one bad day and successive governments tended to throw money at the grammers at the expense of the Secondary Moderns. Streaming kids based on ability just seems like common sense to me if you want to get the best out of all of them.

For instance Asda Supermarket (owned by Walmart) store workers – the majority of whom are female – are currently taking legal action on the basis that they are being paid up to £4p/h less for doing similar tasks performed by the largely male warehouse workers.
    That's a really good example of what I'm talking about. It's a different "job" but with almost exactly the same duties. You probably find that the warehouse staff pay is consistent across the warehouse amd store staff pay is consistent across the store. On that basis many will argue that the pay scales don't gender discriminate but that doesn't change the fact that the women are earning less due to the way the "jobs" are distributed. Indeed, moving to the warehouse is probably seen as a promotion, but it's one the female staff rarely achieve.

wait until you have had a couple of years of a full on Tory government and see if you still feel the same
    Don't... just don't. The one solace I took from the last election was that UKIP took a bath (although not enough of one to get Farage to keep his word and actually bugger off). Also, I'm a white, middle class, male who's sole director of his own limited company and a high earner. So while my soul may shrivel over the next five years of Tory rule my wallet looks set to expand nicely.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; May 21st, 2015 at 11:09 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    And one more Tory government away from there being no employee rights left at all

The question is, what are 'employee rights'? Unfortunately it's seen more as 'give employees all these benefits because they are perceived as a right'.

The way I see it; you work an hour, you get paid an hour. No work no pay. You want healthcare? buy it, just like you buy everything else. You want a vacation? take it, just don't expect to get paid while on the beach. You want a big screen TV? buy it. If you are sick, then stay home. You provide no benefit by being sick, so you don't get paid.

Having said all that, I spent a good deal of time as a contractor, with exactly the above. It ain't easy. But life sucks, then you die. So it's up to you what you make of it.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    ... that doesn't change the fact that the women are earning less due to the way the "jobs" are distributed. ...
    Just wanted to reiterate this.

As an additional note on 'discrimination', the argument is often put forward by indicating that there are fewer women 'at the top'. This is true, but there are also very few (none) 20 year olds at the top, so is it age discrimination? No, to get to the top, to be a CEO or board director with huge salaries and stock options, you have to put in the time. There is no short cut for this. Anything from 20-40 years or more of experience. And not just basic 'resume' experience, but real, active differences in whatever position a person held. So, we are looking at 40,50,60 year olds.

What was the situation like back in the 60's 70's and 80's? At that time, women were only just managing and reaching for equality in the workplace. There are fewer women with the decades of experience than there are men.

True, this doesn't invalidate the existence of the good-old-boy network. But the fact is that deals are made on golf courses. Literally as well as figuratively. This is no different for men or women. There's a point at which job competence is over taken by who you know, what sports team you support, how good you are at golf, and all round 'likability' is more important, in the decision making process. It's a game; a total mind f**k. How well do you handle a mind f**king determines how far you will go. Not fair, sure. But I guarantee you that there's a lot more men that have been pathetically humiliated by that game, than one would care to count. Then some feminist comes along and squeals 'its not fair', while bailing out at the first hurdle. Meanwhile, there's plenty of women who have made it through the gauntlet of 'promotion' who don't whinge and whine about how hard and unfair life is.

The question is, what are 'employee rights'? Unfortunately it's seen more as 'give employees all these benefits because they are perceived as a right'.

The way I see it; you work an hour, you get paid an hour. No work no pay. You want healthcare? buy it, just like you buy everything else. You want a vacation? take it, just don't expect to get paid while on the beach. You want a big screen TV? buy it. If you are sick, then stay home. You provide no benefit by being sick, so you don't get paid.
    These are certainly not rights, at least not in the US. Currently there is no federal legal requirements for paid sick leave nor is there a federal requirement to provide vacation. Use to, these were benefits of working for a certain company or business are were used to encourage hiring of better employees. The better quality of benefits equals better quality of employees. However, this all changed after the enactment of the affordable care act where businesses with more than 50 employees are required to provide full time employees with healthcare or face a "penalty."

Oh, noez! Politics has invaded the Post Race!

My father is retired and his wife works three jobs. Now that's some gender inequality...

I can solve this!

abcd

efgh

Page 1488 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 4889881388143814781485148614871488148914901491149815381588 ... LastLast