Page 1583 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 58310831483153315731580158115821583158415851586159316331683 ... LastLast
Results 63,281 to 63,320 of 68910

Thread: Post Race!

Re: Post Race!

Repeal the prohibition on cannabis

Not only would this seriously help us in sales tax collections, but Louisiana is the prison capital of the world and this would certainly help alleviate that problem.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

link above does not work...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    I always had this feeling you were on the younger side - of course you've been a member here since 2011, so add 7 years right away!
    Yeah, I'm turning 27 this year. So I would definitely be the youngest in the legislation if it pans out.

Good luck! Need non-insiders running for office at all levels - the swamp is in each state capital - not just DC!
    Especially running with the Libertarian Party, traditionally they've been shut out of debates here in Louisiana.

link above does not work...
    Odd... Here is the link with the most recent 3: http://revenue.louisiana.gov/NewsAnd...s/Publications

Cali is the worst state in the union! Im so fed up with the high taxes, nothing getting repaired or upgraded with that tax money and massive overcrowding and traffic that hopefully one day I can move out of state
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Oh, it somehow hyperlinked the end parenthesis: http://revenue.louisiana.gov/Publications/AR(15-16).pdf

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    Cali is the worst state in the union! Im so fed up with the high taxes, nothing getting repaired or upgraded with that tax money and massive overcrowding and traffic that hopefully one day I can move out of state
    The combined tax rate for Sacramento County is 7.75%, whereas the combined tax rate for my parish is 10.75%. Plus, they're wanting to increase our state tax (which is 5%) up one point bringing our new combined tax rate to 11.75%.

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    The combined tax rate for Sacramento County is 7.75%, whereas the combined tax rate for my parish is 10.75%. Plus, they're wanting to increase our state tax (which is 5%) up one point bringing our new combined tax rate to 11.75%.
    Check Los Angeles county tax rates with district tax rates for the suburbs which is where most people live. Pico rivera sales tax rate is 10.25% same as Compton and other cities
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Speaking of which, I guess I should finish my 1st quarter sales tax filing as its almost 2 months late lol

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I also recently did the math on how much legislators are paid. In Louisiana, legislators have a flat salary of $16,800 per year plus an additional $6,000 expense allowance. On its face, that doesn't seem like much, but where legislators essentially double their money is on the per diem allowance of $156 per day. This per diem adds an additional $13,260 for 85 day sessions and $10,140 on 60 day sessions.

Assuming no special sessions (and this year there has already been 17 days of special sessions), this means that a Louisiana legislature would earn up to $36,060 for a part-time job. Consider for a moment that the average per capita income in Louisiana according to the 2010 census is $20,367. I would advocate for one: replacing the hybrid salary/per deim mix with just a flat salary and two: have a flat salary properly reflect the average per capita income of a part-time job in Louisiana.

#dday is trending on twitter

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

lol, I'd hope so.

We have no local taxes, so state taxes are THE taxes. I think the income tax is 10% and sales tax is 6%, but that sales tax is on everything, including groceries, which most states exempt. Of course, then there's property tax, and I have no idea what rate I pay there.

My mother was a state legislator in NH. There are LOADS of representatives in that tiny state. They got paid somewhere around $100 per year, but got a per diem that added about $1,000 once mileage was added in (I think my mother got $0.25 per mile, and something for meals and lodging). Basically, they were working for free. So, why serve? Some did it for civic pride, some had other reasons. My mother had been doing research for her doctoral dissertation, but got into it a bit too much, dropped the degree and ran for office at both state and local levels (county doesn't mean much in NH, but towns mean a whole lot).

I think the point is that the system will manage. If the legislators make enough that they don't do anything else, then they might not do anything else. If they make almost nothing, you'll still get folks to serve, you just have to understand why.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

As for your first plank. How do state employees get any different tax consideration down there? Up here, we pay the same taxes, and are mandated by law to be paid roughly equivalent to the private sector. During the recession, the legislature didn't want to do that, so they disbanded the working group that checked the private sector. Basically, they were using the excuse that they didn't know, so the law couldn't apply. Since then, the group got back together. They point out that we get paid less than the private sector jobs in the same area, but nothing changes.

I think their wrong. We still have decent health insurance, and we have a retirement system that isn't desperately underfunded as it is in most states. Those factors count for something. I'll actually be able to retire...except that health insurance will end on that day, and I won't be able to afford to buy any, so I guess I'll have to get a job. That's a ways off, though, and a whole lot could change between now and then.

I just got off the phone with one of my clients - they need me to help them do an analysis of retirees and health care costs (they are a municipality).

They have come to realize that pension payments are tied nicely to years of service. Someone with 15 years in gets a smaller monthly pension amount. Someone with 30 years of service gets a bigger pension payment.

What they have also come to realize is that those same two retirees are getting the EXACT same level of health insurance coverage paid for by the town.

They want to change this - the 15 year person gets only 50% coverage compared to the 30 year person getting 100% coverage, for example.

That sucks!
    Last edited by szlamany; Jun 6th, 2018 at 04:25 PM.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I'm thinking about running on 3 core issues:
    • Reforming government employees retirement and/or pay
    • Eliminate the corporate tax
    • Repeal the prohibition on cannabis
    Corporation tax is probably the one policy there that i dont understand. Generally it seems clear to me that Companies particularly big business make huge profits and have many ways of avoiding tax to they already pay far less than they should.

Maybe you could argue some small business pay to much tax, i could certainly see a policy that shifted some of the tax burden away form smaller business being popular, removing corporation tax completely would probably just blow a huge hole in the state budget.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Trouble with that idea is that you'll probably find small businesses are the only ones paying the taxes in the first place. The big boys'll already be avoiding them by siting their head office out of state and citing the siting. So you shift the tax on toto the big boys and end up collecting nothing.

The same phenomenon is true of income taxes. Folks who've got high incomes can afford the tricks required to avoid paying the taxes.

The only reliably unavoidable taxes are taxes on consumption, ie VAT, sales tax etc. Of course, if you drop income based taxes and whack up consumption taxes you end up hitting the poor diss-proportionately because our basic necessities for life tend to remain the same regardless of how much we earn.

So then you end up only taxing luxuries which would be a ridiculously small base.

I don't have answers to any of it. All I know is it pays to be wealthy.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Trouble with that idea is that you'll probably find small businesses are the only ones paying the taxes in the first place. The big boys'll already be avoiding them by siting their head office out of state and citing the siting. So you shift the tax on toto the big boys and end up collecting nothing.
    (page 26 of the annual report linked before)

Of the 12,447 businesses, 92 businesses are responsible for 58.19% of the tax liability. These 92 businesses are those who have taxable income of $10m or more. All in all, there are 8 brackets that pay corporate taxes, the bottom 6 who have a taxable income of $1m or less make up only 17.37% of the tax liability. To your point, the top two tax brackets make up more than 4/5ths of the entire corporate income tax revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    So you shift the tax on toto
    Yeah, do that and they'll bless the rains down in Africa.

(page 26 of the annual report linked before)

Of the 12,447 businesses, 92 businesses are responsible for 58.19% of the tax liability. These 92 businesses are those who have taxable income of $10m or more. All in all, there are 8 brackets that pay corporate taxes, the bottom 6 who have a taxable income of $1m or less make up only 17.37% of the tax liability. To your point, the top two tax brackets make up more than 4/5ths of the entire corporate income tax revenue.
    That can be pretty misleading, though. If you were to have a single tax bracket, people making five times as much will pay five times as much tax. So, the top end will always pay a bigger portion of the tax simply because they make a bigger portion of the profit.

I would not advocate for a restructuring, rather a removal.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Yeah, do that and they'll bless the rains down in Africa.
    Thank you - I really need that laugh!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Go ahead and mock. I won't hold you back. But I will hold the line.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I'm not going to be to get these songs out of my mind!

Maybe this will help

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...hMhOCAkCydRLZU

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Damn you! I clicked it

I'm not going to be to get these songs out of my mind!

Maybe this will help

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...hMhOCAkCydRLZU
    You know in Kodi when the fcc or isp/webhost finds there is an illegal distribution of movies/tv shows they are now replacing the movie with a rick roll video. So when trying to watch GoT episode it looks legit but then BAM! "You know the rules and so do I..." LOL

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Nope. Not gonna click it. No Sirree Bob.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Code:
    I would not advocate for a restructuring, rather a removal.
    Out of interest if hypothetically you were in a position to do this, how would you make up the tax shortfall? or would you not make up the shortfall and just provide less services ?

$188.7m is a lot of money to cut from a budget
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Release the prisoners!!!
    My usual boring signature: Something

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Nope. Not gonna click it. No Sirree Bob.
    It isn't bad. It's a rendition of a Toto song done in a pretty interesting way.

I guess with all the finger snapping in that video you would have to say it was click bait, for sure!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Never thought of it that way, but....yeah, I guess it is.

"Charrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrlieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

That covers all the angles.

My biggest pet peeve... People that don't do what they are supposed to do or what they say they going to do!!!

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

My biggest pet peeve... visit a site in your browser that has a username and password prompt. Password is filled in so it's remembering me. Username is blank. Click into the username field and only ONE name appears.

Are you kidding me?

This is a bug! Who let that code into production?!?

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

I've noticed that in FireFox.

My biggest pet peeve... People that don't do what they are supposed to do or what they say they going to do!!!
    How about finding out about it two working days before you are going off the grid for a month?

By the way, I'm going off the grid for a month in about two working days.

Also, when people don't give at least 1 week written notice of going on vacation -_-

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Page 1583 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 58310831483153315731580158115821583158415851586159316331683 ... LastLast