Page 1599 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 59910991499154915891596159715981599160016011602160916491699 ... LastLast
Results 63,921 to 63,960 of 68910

Thread: Post Race!

PowerPoster

Re: Post Race!

Very few people doubt climate change
    True but there are many very powerful people that deny it for financial and political reasons. This will cause solutions to come much slower.

I don't doubt that climate change is occurring. I don't even doubt that anthropological activity is contributing to it. What I do have some doubts/issues on are:
    • The long term projects have always been wrong. Not mostly wrong, always wrong.
    • The IPCC's reports don't really specify how much tolerance the Earth has in terms of the rise of temperature related to climate change
    • Even if the US were to go completely carbon neutral, it would not be enough to make so much as a dent.

I certainly don't believe that it is the government's role in trying to "cure" the climate change.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

If the long term project is to get us off of fossil fuel, then it depends on what the alternative is. Some alternatives would be pretty good, but the best one is a solution we haven't yet invented. For example, there are FAR more efficient solar cells than the ones that are currently in use. At the moment, they're too expensive to be viable. There is one that may change that, though production has to be scaled up.

A second piece, and perhaps the larger piece, is energy storage. One of the greatest issues we currently have is that batteries are pretty bad. Is there a solution there? Maybe. There are certainly solutions that can be tried on the grid-level storage, but whether or not there's a solution on the personal device level is not so clear. A significantly better battery at that level would change society. Gas engines aren't efficient, we use them because gas has SO much energy packed into a small package. Electric motors are far more efficient, but to store as much energy as you have in a gallon of gas would currently take a battery that was several cubic feet in size. If that were to change, we'd switch to electric vehicles pretty nearly overnight. The advantages are just too great, but the technology isn't there, so that's that....for now.

That's my point: We can't solve the problem with the technology we have today. To tackle the problem requires us to move forwards, and that's the better direction to go.

Besides, don't worry too much about global warming. Ocean acidification could easily dwarf the impact of a warmer earth. The ocean is somewhat alkaline. The oceans are absorbing a considerable amount of carbon dioxide, which is bringing the oceans back towards neutral. At some point, this will collapse the base of the food chain, where lots of chemistry depends on the alkaline nature of the water.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I don't doubt that climate change is occurring. I don't even doubt that anthropological activity is contributing to it. What I do have some doubts/issues on are:
    The long term projects have always been wrong. Not mostly wrong, always wrong.
    The IPCC's reports don't really specify how much tolerance the Earth has in terms of the rise of temperature related to climate change
    Even if the US were to go completely carbon neutral, it would not be enough to make so much as a dent.

I certainly don't believe that it is the government's role in trying to "cure" the climate change.
    There are differing opinions and models about how fast climate change is happening and how fast we are warming, what they dont have differing opinions on is that it is happening, that man kind is contributing and also that there are feasibly things we can do to mitigate it.

As far as the Governments role goes, in the UK for example we have a lot of wind energy resource, we are an island with a lot of wind, the government put subsidies into wind energy and not only have we grown wind energy to be 15% of our total energy mix the cost of wind energy has come down so much that coal for instance has been priced out of the market even as subsidies have been cut.

All energy is subsidized, what is great about things like wind and solar power, even taking away the climate change based reasons are these are technological solutions to power generation, and as we iterate and create better and better solutions they become more efficient and more cost effective, and they also provide a degree of energy security.

I dont like carbon tax's and trading, Governments main role here should be encouraging industry through subsidies and planning to allow these kinds of energy generation to get enough traction so they are competitive.

That's my point: We can't solve the problem with the technology we have today. To tackle the problem requires us to move forwards, and that's the better direction to go.
    In order for technology to move forward you have to create the technology, sell it and then make money on it and then invest and iterate for the next better version. This is already happening to some extent but could be happening faster.

Battery storage is a problem but we are seeing solutions on the market, Tesla have a 100-megawatt battery dispensing power into the electricity grid in South Australia right now, and as more government purchase these kind of solutions there cost will come down and companies will find ways to make them more efficient and better.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    As far as the Governments role goes, in the UK for example we have a lot of wind energy resource, we are an island with a lot of wind,
    Maybe so, but you aren't doing enough. After all, you haven't even attempted to exploit the most potent source of wind energy you have: Parliament.

Looks like Notre Dame is pretty nearly a total loss. I've got a hunch that it'll be back, though.

That’s so upsetting. I wonder what caused it.

Sorry, this is the post race and that should’ve been two separate sentence.

That’s so upsetting.

I wonder what caused it.

Fixed.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Fire
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

It was likely related to the construction, though some worker might have had a quasi-motive. I have nothing to back my hunch, though.

Fortunately, they saved the bell towers. Had those fallen, the building would have been essentially a total loss.

It doesn't look so bad, today. The roof is gone, and there's been a considerable amount of interior damage, but the stone vault is mostly intact, which protected a whole lot of the parts that people remember most.

It seems like the biggest question is how to rebuild the forest, or if it should be rebuilt. That was all old growth wood, which is gone from Europe. They'd have to import wood from other places, and perhaps they shouldn't. The original material is gone, so maybe using more modern, safer, construction makes more sense. There was a whole lot of wood to burn up there, and that's partially because it was wood. Some steel in the structure would probably make it lighter, stronger, and safer. Though, composite beams might also have an appeal.

One nice thing is that the reconstruction can be crowd sourced. Cathedrals were built that way, originally. Notre Dame was built over a century, from the sound of it, and through the on-and-off contributions of the local populace. Crowd-sourcing the reconstruction would be in keeping with the original history of cathedral building. The funding base would be broader, but the idea would be about the same.

A bit of gaffer tape should sort it out.

@bonker - I see you used the term "gaffer" - do you have some experience in the audio/video world?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

I’m really enjoying my new job. Though I found I don’t enjoy kendo-ui so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonker Gudd View Post
    A bit of gaffer tape should sort it out.
    Duct tape fixes everything!
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    I’m really enjoying my new job. Though I found I don’t enjoy kendo-ui so much.
    I really like the kendo controls. Its a good sized learning curve but knowing javascript will definitely help if its the web version. Ive been using kendo for a year now and Ive got it doing some cool stuff
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Happy National Mustang Day!

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I wonder what caused it
    There were construction workers there and they were French. Guaran-damm-teed they were smoking

One nice thing is that the reconstruction can be crowd sourced.
    It already is being crowd sourced. I went looking for a figure on the donations that hove come in and couldn't find one but their donation page has already received over 13 million euros and there are individual pledges in the hundreds of millions from the likes of apple and other wealthy benefactors. It wouldn't surprise me if you saw over a billion coming in for this.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Cathedrals were built that way, originally.
    Some but not all. Most of the medieval ones were built by kings and wealthy nobles from their coffers (...of course, those coffers were built up through taxation so that's a kind of crowd sourcing). The ones that were built by local donations tend to come toward the end of the renaissance and later when there was more cash in the hands of local populations and wealthy merchants. Barcelona's Sagrada Familia is probably the most famous. Honestly, visit it if you ever get the chance. It's vast and more than a little weird.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Apr 18th, 2019 at 03:32 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Coughers-*ahem*-coffers, and their ilk.

"Great!" Shaggy coughed on me and now i got a cold

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

That explains it, cause it got warm up here.

PowerPoster

89 here another 15 degrees and we'll have real Modesto summer weather.

So crazy enough I restarted my browser project, ironically I am still enjoying VB too much to go to another language, so I got a friend to join aboard, he is mainly into graphics, and stuff like that, the images I am showing are not his design its my crappy "filler" until he can do his magic.

I ended up finding a bug the other day, it was kinda one of those why the heck is this happening type things, I am using Gecko 60, which is a large upgrade from the old project, but it seems a lot of it has to be written out vs all built in for some aspects. The biggest issue I have noticed is if you open tabs too fast they stop loading the homepage.

And of course the URL parsing checker function thingy ba bopper 3000 I have (a web request to validate or invalidate URLs) doesn't handle About:blank and immediately crashes. I think if the tab tries to go there I am going to create a local HTML page and put on the page "Hi, welcome to a blank page"

The other minor thing is some sites default to old style design like some of the CSS doesn't seem to be supported.

https://gyazo.com/b7d09a885e02f6a24d1bbf07396bc2e7
    Disclaimer: When code is given for example - it is merely a example.

Unless said otherwise indicated - All Code snippets advice or otherwise that I post on this site, are expressly licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Please respect my copyrights.

Yeah, that's a great solution. A page with the statement, "Hi, welcome to a blank page." should give people fits. For one thing, it's a lie, since the page isn't blank, but it's so upbeat and positive that it feels like it should be a paradox.

PowerPoster

My new Great Grand Daughter arrived today @ 7:30am 7lbs 9ozs. Daphne Anne. So now I have 2 Great Grand Daughters, 3 Grand Daughters. It seems that some how my off spring have lost the male chromosome.

So...two are great and three are not so great? That's almost 50%, which seems pretty good.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    So...two are great and three are not so great? That's almost 50%, which seems pretty good.
    I think so, especially when you consider their lineage.

I have nothing to say, and this is the place to say it.

Nothing!!!

PowerPoster

Maybe there is nothing left to say. Everything in the world worth saying has already been said somewhere is these 63956 posts. The trick is finding it.

Anyone watching Build?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Don't even know what it is.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    Anyone watching Build?
    Are you talking about the MicroSoft Build discussions that kareninstructor posted a link to in the General Developers forum? If so, what did you think, worth watching?

I watched some of the Build keynote since I couldn't go this year and will be watching a number of the sessions on demand over the next few weeks. Hopefully the post the sessions I'm interested in!
    Last edited by brad jones; May 13th, 2019 at 09:21 AM.

Page 1599 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 59910991499154915891596159715981599160016011602160916491699 ... LastLast