Page 1589 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 58910891489153915791586158715881589159015911592159916391689 ... LastLast
Results 63,521 to 63,560 of 68908

Thread: Post Race!

Re: Post Race!

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseCakes View Post
    Is it place for offtopic?
    You can't add anything ON topic to the Post Race, since there is no topic, so off topic is pretty much all you get.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

This is the second bed we've broken
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Of course we buy them second hand, so...

My last bed was broken...for years. I bought that one second hand, too, and it was okay for the time. At some point, I broke the box spring. As long as it was sitting either on the floor or on the rails of the bed frame, the fact that the box spring was broken didn't really matter. Eventually, it was the mattress itself that did me in. I noticed that my heels were pretty sore, though I hadn't paid much attention to it, and just thought it was due to exercise, or some such. One day, while I was lying in bed, I noticed that my heels were hurting a bit more, and also noticed that the bed wasn't all that comfortable for my heels. A bit of investigation showed that the mattress was so thoroughly crushed that the cushioning was below the wire frame of the mattress. My heels were resting on the wire frame, which meant an unusual amount of weight was pressing against nothing more than a thin, metal, bar.

I went out and got a good mattress and my heels have healed.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

and so we bloat
    Down here everybody bloats
    Name:  Pennywise.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  30.6 KB
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I once contracted as a database developer in a place where a single change to the database require 12 different documents (including the database itself) to be maintained by hand. I always regretted that it wasn't 13 because that would have felt more appropriate. You could kinda see how the situation had come about:-

Someone had probably once made a bad change that caused a problem, everyone had panicked and decided that database changes were clearly something that needed proper auditing... so they created a spreadsheet that you had to fill in after you made a change.

Then someone else had made a bad change but forgotten to update the spreadsheet, everyone had panicked and decided that they clearly needed to make sure that any pending change needed to be recorded before it was made... so they created a spreadsheet in which you had to record the change you were about to make.

Then the spreadsheets got out of synch because someone forgot to update one or t'other, everyone panicked and decided it was high time they really got to grips with the problem... so they create spreadsheet in which you could record that you'd updated both the other spreadsheets correctly.

Then they brought in source control...

If I'm being cynical (and I just can't help it) I would say that 90% of this was the fault of one particularly sadistic DBA. That's not just sour grapes, she was a genuinely nasty piece of work and an out and out bully. I watched her reduce one contractor to tears by berating him constantly for over an hour because he'd forgotten one of the 12 documents. She drove my predecessor away and was ultimately the reason I left. When I announced I was going, management actually asked me if I wouldn't mind making a formal complaint about here because they didn't feel they could deal with her themselves. She liked two things more than anything else in the world: Implementing new processes and beating up anyone who failed to follow them.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

One way or another, those people are everywhere...though perhaps not quite so extreme.

A long time ago, I noticed that for every process there would be orthodoxy enforcers. You primarily see this in religion, as there are blind followers who will relentlessly (and quite mindlessly) attack anybody who doesn't conform to the orthodoxy. There are others who will stretch and change the orthodoxy such that it can keep growing, but the enforcers are always there, whatever the current state of the orthodoxy is.

What I hadn't quite noticed is how pervasive this is. There are enforcers, iconoclasts (those trying to tear down the orthodoxy), and enlightened (those who work within the orthodoxy, but are not bound by it and can cause it to grow and evolve). These roles are filled EVERYWHERE. On matters large and small, some are seeking to break the rules, others are seeking to mindlessly enforce them, while others are seeking to evolve them. I also note that pretty much everybody fills different roles for different orthodoxy. People may well be seeking to tear down certain establishments while mindlessly enforcing others. Also, when I say 'mindless', I don't mean stupid. What I mean is, "taking action without fully considering all the options and ramifications."

Still, there are some who are far more the enforcer than anything else...and they have an odd affinity for HR and middle management.

Still, there are some who are far more the enforcer than anything else...and they have an odd affinity for HR and middle management.
    I'm going climbing tonight with a friend who's a head of HR. I am sooooooo tellin' on you.

Better not tell him when he could drop you.

Is anybody else bothered that the first post in a thread is post #1? This is a programming forum, shouldn't the first post be #0?

Is this a VB6 question? Perhaps we have Option Base 1 ON.

Nope and yes I am bored
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I can see that

You know Im really bored if I start posting cat threads again
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

PowerPoster

Yeah, Sundays are no fun for us Raiders fans anymore. I can't hardly watch, I started recording the games o I can fast forward through the game.

When WAS it fun to be a Raiders fan? They were showing signs of life last year, but you wouldn't say they were actually GOOD....just on the upswing. Now....well, back to the toilet.

I'd say it all comes down to how they spend that bounty of draft picks.

I'll be heading to Temecula, CA. on the 15th to discuss a potential job opportunity.

I've been presented with a situation where I will still own my insurance agency, have someone run it, and I'd move to California to pursue a job in programming.

I'm really excited because I get the best of both worlds: a 1099 retirement in my business and a W2 programming career.

Plus it would be pretty cool when people look at my code and ask where I graduated from and I get to look at their reaction when I say that I dropped out.

I missed 60 days of my senior year of high school traveling for the programming company I worked for. Had they not had ins with the HS admin I never would have got my diploma. My chemistry teacher was the one most upset with my lack of attendance.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

And now my patent will be issued tomorrow!!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

And as you would imagine it's NOT a chemistry patent!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

@dday - good luck! Sounds like an interesting change for you!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    When WAS it fun to be a Raiders fan? They were showing signs of life last year, but you wouldn't say they were actually GOOD....just on the upswing. Now....well, back to the toilet.

I'd say it all comes down to how they spend that bounty of draft picks.
    Been a fan for 40+ year,

3 Super Bowl wins
    5 Super Bowl Appearances
    15 Division Titles

There are 13 NFL teams without a Super Bowl ring so all and all I can't complain. As for the draft picks, that's a crap shoot. I'd take one proven pro bowler over three draft picks.

Though now I would have to admit I'm teetering on how I feel about the team. I don't like Gruden (he left and then beat the Raiders in the Super Bowl) I'm not a real forgiving. But the main problem is this Las Vegas move. This is the second time (actually third time but second from Oakland) they've moved the team and to be honest, I don't give a dam what their reasons were. You'll never see me wearing a Las Vegas Raiders hat. Right now I'm feeling that I'll keep track of the team and be happy when they do good but that's about it.
    Last edited by wes4dbt; Dec 3rd, 2018 at 03:45 PM.

As for the draft picks, that's a crap shoot. I'd take one proven pro bowler over three draft picks.
    Man, I completely agree with you there. That is why I don't understand Coach Gruden's decision to trade Amari Cooper for a 1st round draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    I'll be heading to Temecula, CA. on the 15th to discuss a potential job opportunity.
    I would have thought it would be in Irvine as thats the new Silicon Valley.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I've been presented with a situation where I will still own my insurance agency, have someone run it, and I'd move to California to pursue a job in programming.
    So you will be getting taxed up the arse!! More people are moving OUT of CA than moving in (legal and illegal).
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Dec 3rd, 2018 at 04:04 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Been a fan for 40+ year,

3 Super Bowl wins
    5 Super Bowl Appearances
    15 Division Titles

There are 13 NFL teams without a Super Bowl ring so all and all I can't complain. As for the draft picks, that's a crap shoot. I'd take one proven pro bowler over three draft picks.

Though now I would have to admit I'm teetering on how I feel about the team. I don't like Gruden (he left and then beat the Raiders in the Super Bowl) I'm not a real forgiving. But the main problem is this Las Vegas move. This is the second time they've moved the team and to be honest, I don't give a dam what their reasons were. You'll never see me wearing a Las Vegas Raiders hat. Right now I'm feeling that I'll keep track of the team and be happy when they do good but that's about it.
    Im done with football ever since they started that kneeling crap! Total disrespect for our country. They want to be political then they need to do it off the job on their own time.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    And now my patent will be issued tomorrow!!
    Congrats Steve! Whats it for?
    Last edited by RobDog888; Dec 5th, 2018 at 01:37 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    I missed 60 days of my senior year of high school traveling for the programming company I worked for. Had they not had ins with the HS admin I never would have got my diploma. My chemistry teacher was the one most upset with my lack of attendance.
    Yeah? How did he react? Was it precipitate? Did he have a solution? Was he positive or negative? In other words, did he reduce the problem, or....well, can't make much of a pun out of oxidize.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    So you will be getting taxed up the arse!! More people are moving OUT of CA than moving in (legal and illegal).

It's not the taxes, it's the cost of living. They're moving HERE! We have all the taxes, though I think our sales tax is lower...and I guess I don't know about income tax comparisons. However, you can buy FAR more of a house for FAR less, out here. You also don't make nearly as much, but that's a different matter.

Name:  meme.PNG
Views: 448
Size:  290.1 KB

Im done with football ever since they started that kneeling crap! Total disrespect for our country. They want to be political then they need to do it off the job on their own time.
    Don't agree with that. There is no time when a person shouldn't try to make the country better. Protesting against unfair practices, even at work, is something that should be allowed up to the point that you are working for somebody else (they can fire you if they want, but with all the true (personal) political baggage around that). We were told we weren't to talk about salmon, at one point. Not quite as sensitive as race, but it was pretty similar, as it was driven by a desire to keep an unpopular view silent. The person who handed down that rule ended up being fired, but not over that. He did manage to silence the voices he didn't want to hear.

Let people be heard. Anybody who speaks out at work does so at considerable risk. That's courage. Maybe your job will be endangered because of standing up for equal rights, maybe your job will be endangered for a fish....which is also endangered. It's still your job on the line for your voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    It's not the taxes, it's the cost of living. They're moving HERE! We have all the taxes, though I think our sales tax is lower...and I guess I don't know about income tax comparisons. However, you can buy FAR more of a house for FAR less, out here. You also don't make nearly as much, but that's a different matter.
    Its the taxes, sales taxes and cost of living. Funds raised from the taxes are being squandered on stupid projects that no one wants or needs. For example the lame bullet train from LA to SF costing us billions and billions (think its 15 billion). We have roads and freeways that could have greatly benefited from that money to for repair and upgrades. We could have bought 37 of those specialized firefighting air planes with billions left over. But instead we want to rent them at $1.5 million a day. Our infrastructure is failing as its old and over used.

Now we will have a new governor who is crazier than Brown. CA is going to be a poophole real soon. Down the road when my Dad passes there will be nothing left keeping me here except my wifes parent etc. Its very easy to sell hour homes and use the money to buy a baller house in most any other state and be able to retire in style. My brother and his family will probably move out first as hes staying for the same reason I am.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I mentioned to my wife that the Dead Kennedy's were singing about Gov. Jerry Brown in 1979, yet in 2018 he is still the Governor of California (I deliberately left out that break between then, but the point still remains).

I mentioned to my wife that the Dead Kennedy's were singing about Gov. Jerry Brown in 1979, yet in 2018 he is still the Governor of California (I deliberately left out that break between then, but the point still remains).
    Yea many believe hes going senile.

Plus too many damn lib-tards here too lol

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

So you will be getting taxed up the arse!!
    Wow, your IRS investigations are REALLY intrusive.

Good luck DD. It'd be great to see you a programming career so you can actually use the stuff you do on here.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Wow, your IRS investigations are REALLY intrusive.

Good luck DD. It'd be great to see you a programming career so you can actually use the stuff you do on here.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Controls Steve! Whats it for?
    Something got mailed...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

This is a better image - happy day!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Page 1589 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 58910891489153915791586158715881589159015911592159916391689 ... LastLast