dcsimg

Security+ Certification

If you work for the DOD (and several other federal agencies), chances are that you are required to obtain and keep current a Security+ certification, managed by the company CompTia.

The certification requires you to complete 50 hours of continuation education (CE) during a 3 year period. After which, and payment of $150, you can renew your certification for another 3 years.

Well, CompTia has recently offered a new method of fulfilling the CE requirement -- take their CertMaster option which costs $175 and also waives the $150 renewal fee; bottom line: $25 more overall.

I just took that option Saturday. Gotta say, it is probably the worst example of proving knowledge that I've seen for certifications. Maybe others are similar? Here's how easy it was to fulfill. That option consisted of 13 quizzes, a couple of 5 questions, the rest 10 & 15 questions. Each quiz requires every question answered correctly. If you failed, just take it again. But here's the kicker. Each quiz, when retaken, is the exact same questions and exact same answers in the same order as the previous quiz.

Want to skate thru the recertification easy? Take quiz and answer all questions with A. Retake and answer all missed questions with B, do it again as needed, answering with C, then D for incorrect answers. This process guarantees passing the recertification and will take less than 1 hour. So much for a 50 hour substitute, huh?

Edited & P.S. For those of us that took the initial certification, I think most will agree that it was a challenging test & fairly expensive. The questions and answers at least proved some knowledge. Even if you took many of the sample tests out on the web, webinars, and/or the prep-in-class type of courses, passing the initial exam was not guaranteed. I was amazed at how this recertification was basically an option provided by the certifier as: "pay me $25 more & you'll get receritifed with little effort"
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Jul 2nd, 2018 at 02:21 PM.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

PowerPoster

Re: Security+ Certification

I had to check the calendar. Nope, it isn't April 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I had to check the calendar. Nope, it isn't April 1st.
    Yep, wait until our public school systems all use this method to prove knowledge -- sarcasm obviously, but at some level a real worry

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Frenzied Member

You should see the joke certifications vendors are providing for their RPA software. Nothing but rampant cheating while the vendors look the other way.

Frenzied Member

This is how it is in every industry... think medical / hospital safety type certs. yeah...
    The exams are "corrected" (or thrown in the bin) by a lowly co-op/intern. Then you get billed, and mailed the cert. easy money. $$$

It is funny though that a "security" cert exam can be brute forced in less than an hour.
    Imagine what it would be like to set breakpoints in, or step through subclassing code;
    and then being able to hit stop/end/debug or continue, without crashing the IDE.

VB6.tlb | Bulletproof Subclassing in the IDE (no thunks/assembly/DEP issues)

Hi @ll,

well the Guy (Anis Amri) that came to Germany 2015 was able to obtain 14 diffrent identities(with addresses), get 14x social benefits etc....

was able to drive a Truck over a Christmas market in Berlin and etc...

I could go on and on what he was able to do in Germany.

I wonder what sort of Test/Quiz our federal agencies have in place for the Staff...
    besides the Software they use is way outdated..

I better stop, I'm getting frustrated

regards
    Chris
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

@LaVolpe, I'm surprised to read that's how they do things over there (I'm assuming "over there" is the US). In the UK working for the MOD/police etc doesn't have any kind of "exam" element. Certification here is all about background checks. I honestly can't see how an examined element would be useful to a security certification. I mean, how long does it take to test whether a candidate knows not to tell anyone anything that's meant to be confidential?
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

King of sapila

There is a saying in Greece, goes like: Whatever you declare that you are, that, you are.
    Anyone can get a cert for anything, one way or the another. We have recently found a couple of thousand "blind" persons that had a drivers license, so ,yeah, I guess we have some tiny cert issues over here but it's the fun part tracking them down if you are in a government agency.....That many people were hired there with false certificates
    Slow as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I honestly can't see how an examined element would be useful to a security certification. I mean, how long does it take to test whether a candidate knows not to tell anyone anything that's meant to be confidential?
    The certification deals with network/PC security: hacks, hashes, firewalls, viruses, etc. It's an IT thing

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Oh I see.

We don't have a blanket certification for that stuff. Instead each role would have a set of requirements. So if I was hired to do network support it's likely that I'd need some sort of certification around network security etc, but if I'm doing development that's not likely to be a requirement.

Realistically, most roles wouldn't require a particular certification. Rather we would rely on the interview/tendering process to demonstrate that the candidate had the necessary competence. A certification might act as shorthand for that though.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd