dcsimg
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Hockey?

  1. #1

    Thread Starter
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    33,758

    Hockey?

    So, St. Louis beat Boston for the Stanley Cup last night. I don't really follow hockey very much, but some things struck me as pretty strange about this latest series, and perhaps it has always been thus.

    For one thing, the two teams playing for the cup were not the two teams that were best in the league during the regular season, as those teams lost out roughly in the first round. That's fine, as they weren't all that much better than any of the other teams in the playoffs, so it's not like their best records were all that special. However, it did seem kind of random.

    Somebody mentioned "home ice" advantage, but both the Blues and the Bruins won only a single game at home, while Boston won two in St. Louis, and St. Louis won three in Boston. So, that advantage doesn't seem to be worth a thing.

    But what really has me puzzled is that, as far as I can tell, the team that scored the first goal won the game in all games except one in the divisional round and the Stanley Cup. This isn't soccer, where one goal could be the game. Shutouts are pretty rare in hockey, and scoring is fairly plentiful. So, is it really reasonable that there are so few come-from-behind victories? I didn't watch any of the games, but based on the recaps, it appears that the team that scored first went on to win somewhere around 95% of the time. That seems like it shouldn't be the case.

    Did anybody watch most of the playoffs? Can anybody say what percentage of the time a team scored first and went on to lose the game in the playoffs? We can discount the regular season if we assume that some teams are simply better than others, and will score first because the other team sucks, but in the playoffs, presumably we are seeing just the best teams, scoring is plentiful, and lead changes should happen fairly frequently.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  2. #2
    King of sapila
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    5,519

    Re: Hockey?

    Is Hockey the thing with the Bat(man) that they play climbed on Elephants? ... Or it's Elephant...Polo?
    Anyhow there are two sports in the world. Soccer and USA.
    Slow as hell.

  3. #3
    PowerPoster TysonLPrice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    3,239

    Re: Hockey?

    I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out.

    Rodney Dangerfield
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

  4. #4
    Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Manchester uk
    Posts
    2,532

    Re: Hockey?

    Ice Hockey as everyone else in the world calls it to distinguish it from actual hockey is like baseball in that there is no TV coverage in the UK and very little press coverage, it has just never really caught on as a sport to follow.

    You could argue that its just not played much over here but there is an Ice Hockey league in the UK and a team in my home city of Manchester, but NFL and NBA are far more watched and supported also you can watch them on TV and in fact they have been showing them since the 80's at the very least in highlights programs and the Super Bowl is shown live.

    Of Baseball we see and know nothing and instead we have the wonderfully English game of Cricket which we very generously taught to a bunch of other countries who until recently have generally been better at it than us. That is the main problem with US sports you never spent much time exporting them and forcing them on other countries so you could play against them in the distant future, you always have to play against yourselves.

    But what really has me puzzled is that, as far as I can tell, the team that scored the first goal won the game in all games except one in the divisional round and the Stanley Cup.
    Sports games and results are a dangerous thing to apply logical reasoning to, as soon as someone (normally a pundit) tells you something always happens or never happens its pretty much 100% likely to happen that is the only rule ...
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you



  5. #5
    King of sapila
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    5,519

    Re: Hockey?

    I everyone else in the world (expert USA and maybe India for cricket) rates sports like:
    1)Soccer
    2)...
    3)..

    In Greece we probably go with
    1)Soccer
    2)Basketball
    3)Volleyball

    or maybe like:
    1)Soccer
    2)Basketball
    3)Track sports
    4)Volleyball

    And we probably end with
    30)WWF


    88)Cheerleading
    89)Golf
    90)American football
    91)Baseball
    92)Hokey
    93)Elephant Polo
    ...

    Actually what we know from those sports are from movies. The one that Tom Cruise shouts "Shoooowww me the monneeeyyy!!!" Bruce Willis the .. Last boyscout? and some others
    I'm struggling to think of one with Hokey.....Nop..
    Ah! But what is cool about Hokey is the Jason Mask! Yep! If you would adapt sharped edged razors at the bats and start chopping limps in he game(chop chop chop chap chaaaapp fffchoooppp!) that would be an interesting sport to watch.
    Slow as hell.

  6. #6
    PowerPoster TysonLPrice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    3,239

    Re: Hockey?

    Google says:

    Most Popular Sports in The World

    • Soccer / Association Football – 3.5 billion fans. Association Football or Soccer. ...
    • Cricket – 2-3 billion fans. International Cricket. ...
    • Basketball – 2-3 billion fans. Basketball. ...
    • Hockey – 2.2 billion fans. ...
    • Tennis – 1 billion fans. ...
    • Table Tennis – 900 million fans. ...
    • Baseball – 500 million fans. ...
    • Rugby – 410 million fans
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

  7. #7
    Administrator Steve R Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    985

    Re: Hockey?

    My friends are really into sports... They told me to cheer for St. Louis since St. Louis kicked the Dallas Stars butt's... The theory is that if St. Louis wins then we got beat by the best team

    I would rather punish St. Louis

    One big issue about major sports that I have questioned for years... A huge number of games go the distance.... Very few teams win the first four games and it's over....

    The more games there are - the more MONEY there is to be made.

  8. #8

    Thread Starter
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    33,758

    Re: Hockey?

    Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Actually what we know from those sports are from movies. The one that Tom Cruise shouts "Shoooowww me the monneeeyyy!!!" Bruce Willis the .. Last boyscout? and some others
    I'm struggling to think of one with Hokey.....Nop..
    Ah! But what is cool about Hokey is the Jason Mask! Yep! If you would adapt sharped edged razors at the bats and start chopping limps in he game(chop chop chop chap chaaaapp fffchoooppp!) that would be an interesting sport to watch.
    Slapshot is pretty entertaining.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  9. #9
    PowerPoster TysonLPrice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    3,239

    Re: Hockey?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    My friends are really into sports... They told me to cheer for St. Louis since St. Louis kicked the Dallas Stars butt's... The theory is that if St. Louis wins then we got beat by the best team

    I would rather punish St. Louis

    One big issue about major sports that I have questioned for years... A huge number of games go the distance.... Very few teams win the first four games and it's over....

    The more games there are - the more MONEY there is to be made.
    If you are implying that "major" sports payoffs and series are fixed...I disagree. I think it just works out that way. Most of the times in championship series the two best are playing. In other words equally matched.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

  10. #10
    King of sapila
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    5,519

    Re: Hockey?

    Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    Google says:

    Most Popular Sports in The World

    • Soccer / Association Football – 3.5 billion fans. Association Football or Soccer. ...
    • Cricket – 2-3 billion fans. International Cricket. ...
    • Basketball – 2-3 billion fans. Basketball. ...
    • Hockey – 2.2 billion fans. ...
    • Tennis – 1 billion fans. ...
    • Table Tennis – 900 million fans. ...
    • Baseball – 500 million fans. ...
    • Rugby – 410 million fans

    I highly doubt Google. OK maybe Cricket as India has 1.5 Billions but Basketball 3 Billions? Hockey? For real? Hockey? I haven't in my entire life, and scavenging around Europe and USA and talking with people around the world ever encountered anyone talking about Hockey (err with the exception of you my good people in that post). Even assuming that the entire population of USA and Canada altogether (yep, every gender and color and race) is interested in Hockey (and we are talking about fans here but let's say everyone is a fan) we still get to 400mil tops. Adding every little league like in (UK) along with the fans, we get to, let's say 50 - 100 millions more?
    And this is a HIGHLY uppercased assumption.
    Now let's say that we add Russia and Asia and such. Let's f$king rough the s$it (pardon my French) out of it and say that 1billion more fans (fans) watch Hockey.
    We still get to 1b+500m = 1,5billion fans .
    Now let's roughen up Football - Soccer because I was just pissed with Google.
    Of course the Entire European population is in, so roughly 700millions, now let's add countries that I'm 100% sure they watch football (let's not put all the people). So we have 100m from Russia = 800mil and 1 billion from Africa because almost everyone the is playing, with the hope to move to Europe as a footballer. So 1.8bill
    and lets add 3 out of 4.5 billions from Asia (that almost everyone is playing) so 4.8bil and just add a small portion from India just to make it a round 5bill and let's add 20mils from Australia so 5.020 bil. Now, let's add every single entity from South America (and that is an exact estimation) so 400mil so 5.420 bil .
    Now let's add a poorly 80 mil from USA to make it a solid 5.5billions so A valid Soccer / Hockey division makes a solid 3,66 average. While bs Google 3,5 / (OMG) 2,2 make a 1,6 !
    Now lets add the true numbers without roughing. Let's say in Hockey we get the real fans in US and we get to 1.1 billion minus 500 mils from the over exaggerate world fans. We get to 600millions tops.
    Now let's remove a billion from soccer fans (cuz I'm generous). We ger to 4.5 billions. The ratio is 7,5 . So Google gives out 1,6 so the ration is almost five time lower that the real one.

    I'm wondering why I bother writing this though :P
    Last edited by sapator; Jun 14th, 2019 at 08:20 AM.
    Slow as hell.

  11. #11
    PowerPoster TysonLPrice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    3,239

    Re: Hockey?

    Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    I highly doubt Google. OK maybe Cricket as India has 1.5 Billions but Basketball 3 Billions? Hockey? For real? Hockey? I haven't in my entire life, and scavenging around Europe and USA and talking with people around the world ever encountered anyone talking about Hockey (err with the exception of you my good people in that post). Even assuming that the entire population of USA and Canada altogether (yep, every gender and color and race) is interested in Hockey (and we are talking about fans here but let's say everyone is a fan) we still get to 400mil tops. Adding every little league like in (UK) along with the fans, we get to, let's say 50 - 100 millions more?
    And this is a HIGHLY uppercased assumption.
    Now let's say that we add Russia and Asia and such. Let's f$king rough the s$it (pardon my French) out of it and say that 1billion more fans (fans) watch Hockey.
    We still get to 1b+500m = 1,5billion fans .
    Now let's roughen up Football - Soccer because I was just pissed with Google.
    Of course the Entire European population is in, so roughly 700millions, now let's add countries that I'm 100% sure they watch football (let's not put all the people). So we have 100m from Russia = 800mil and 1 billion from Africa because almost everyone the is playing, with the hope to move to Europe as a footballer. So 1.8bill
    and lets add 3 out of 4.5 billions from Asia (that almost everyone is playing) so 4.8bil and just add a small portion from India just to make it a round 5bill and let's add 20mils from Australia so 5.020 bil. Now, let's add every single entity from South America (and that is an exact estimation) so 400mil so 5.420 bil .
    Now let's add a poorly 80 mil from USA to make it a solid 5.5billions so A valid Soccer / Hockey division makes a solid 3,66 average. While bs Google 3,5 / (OMG) 2,2 make a 1,6 !
    Now lets add the true numbers without roughing. Let's say in Hockey we get the real fans in US and we get to 1.1 billion minus 500 mils from the over exaggerate world fans. We get to 600millions tops.
    Now let's remove a billion from soccer fans (cuz I'm generous). We ger to 4.5 billions. The ratio is 7,5 . So Google gives out 1,6 so the ration is almost fine time lower that the real one.

    I'm wondering why I bother writing this though :P
    Maybe you need to get out more...there is something called cable/satellite sports stations now
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

  12. #12
    King of sapila
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    5,519

    Re: Hockey?

    Also. How Rugby has 410 mils? It's only played in US (American Rugby). So the entire population + 100 millions from? Where? Are fans and watch it?
    Slow as hell.

  13. #13
    King of sapila
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    5,519

    Re: Hockey?

    Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    Maybe you need to get out more...there is something called cable/satellite sports stations now
    No I'm at working waiting for a meeting from London associates and I was just bringing it on, so I can be rough and just to them! It helped a lot seen the bs Google stats!
    Slow as hell.

  14. #14
    King of sapila
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    5,519

    Re: Hockey?

    I'll get out. Be sure of it , as we have a holiday on Monday and I'm going to our beach house for 3 days for sun tanning and swimming. I'm very pale and I need to get my summer color. Hope they have a Hockey match on TV so I can cool of watching it from the 35 degrees we are having right now.

    Edit. Apologies to Shaggy , I...Err... Inten, errr, not intentionally fkd up the tread

    Edit2. Meeting in 15 minutes. I'm a little anxious and not in a sharp mood. So let's see Goggle stats again....And.......ARGRGRGRGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK bring it on you English bureaucrats!!!
    Last edited by sapator; Jun 14th, 2019 at 08:33 AM.
    Slow as hell.

  15. #15
    King of sapila
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    5,519

    Re: Hockey?

    Great!
    Nailed it! I was a meeting monster! I would rep all of you guys for helping me via this thread but i can't seem to find the rep button.


    ----
    The boring part again.
    Hockey comes from ocus aka ogus aka ancient greek ἐγγύς (egg-u-i-s) meaning near,close.
    Last edited by sapator; Jun 14th, 2019 at 09:28 AM.
    Slow as hell.

  16. #16

    Thread Starter
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    33,758

    Re: Hockey?

    I'm pretty surprised by the ranking of hockey, as well. It seems to be the fourth major sport in the US, and certainly people can be fans of multiple sports, but it doesn't seem like it would be ranked quite so high.

    I thought rugby was bigger in Australia than in the US.

    Basketball should be pretty big. I think it has a pretty good following in China, and certainly has participants all around the world.

    Of course, what does the list mean by most popular, and what does it mean by fan? Some sports are super easy to play pretty nearly anywhere anytime, others require specialized equipment or conditions. So, are they talking about playing the sport, watching the sport, or what? Watching hockey can be fun, cheap, and drunken, if you happen to have a local venue. Other sports can cost far more.

    What got this all started, though, was my feeling that there should have been more games in which the team that scored first did not win. Shutouts are rare in hockey, so both sides usually score, so why does the one that scored first appear to have such a huge advantage? Do they change strategy when playing with a lead? Does the other team give up? What is it?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  17. #17
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    5

    Re: Hockey?

    Esports
    Esports (also known as electronic sports, e-sports, or eSports) is a form of competition using video games.
    . . .
    In 2019 it is estimated that the total audience of esports will grow to 454 million viewers and that revenues will increase to over US$1 billion.
    Why eSports Is Guaranteed to Be the Largest Sport in History
    Professional sports is huge. The king of sports, Soccer, has over 250 million active players and generated 3.2B views for the 2014 World Cup and is expected to generate 200 million more at this year’s installation.
    . . .
    With all this money and TV audiences can there be room for more? Moreover, can an upstart overtake the likes of the NBA, NFL and MLB? One that doesn’t even require you to run around a sports field?

    The answer is yes. Esports is on the fastback to being the biggest sport on the planet. Also, this promises to disrupt everything we know about pro sports, how we spend our leisure time and beyond.
    What is eSports? A look at an explosive billion-dollar industry
    As hard as it may be to imagine for devotees of traditional sports leagues like the NFL or the NBA; eSports, at its highest levels, functions in a similar way.
    . . .
    eSports players, not unlike traditional athletes, can rake in big money:
    . . .
    According to the numbers and the seemingly unstoppable cultural momentum, eSports will continue to grow as an industry -- and a pastime -- for the foreseeable future.
    The rise of esports as a spectator phenomenon
    For a game to become a sport, it needs three core components: competition, tournaments and spectators.
    . . .
    The future of sports is digital

    Offline sports leagues like the NFL and NBA provide an intriguing analogy. Both were founded in the first half of the 20th century, but they only became revenue powerhouses in the late 1990s. Effectively, it took over 50 years to make something like the NFL the juggernaut it is today. By comparison, in just 46 years since Stanford’s Spacewar! competition, esports viewership is already comparable with the NFL and NBA.
    The massive popularity of esports, in charts
    Tournament prize pools now rival those for some of the biggest events in traditional sports, and global audiences for some big gaming events have surpassed 100 million viewers, driven largely by esports' exploding popularity in Asia.
    . . .
    While it remains to be seen whether competitive gaming will ever be bigger than the NFL in revenue, the two are running neck-and-neck on a potentially even more important metric: popularity among younger fans. The Post poll found that 38 percent of young Americans identified as fans of esports or competitive gaming, similar to the 40 percent who said they were fans of the NFL.
    With Viewership and Revenue Booming, Esports Set to Compete with Traditional Sports


    Though the popularity and pay of gamers like Blevins is rare and the industry is still new, “everyone has to take note of how fast it’s growing,” said Eunkyu Lee,
    . . .
    Unlike football or cricket, esports is not rooted in any region or culture, so it has a more global appeal, Lee said. “In today’s world, being able to reach ... billions of eyeballs is very important for building the product’s commercial value.”
    The explosive growth of eSports
    eSports has become so popular, that even the International Olympic committee is trying to understand it better.
    . . .
    But detractors scoff at the idea of calling gaming a real sport. After all, gamers sit still in a chair for hours on end showing only agility and dexterity in their hands, they argue.

    But those who play eSports would counter argue that it takes a great deal of skill and strategy to win games. They also point out that they practice for hours a day just like any other sports player, and that physical exertion isn’t the marker of sport. Darts players and snooker players don’t have to move much either.

    It may be a moot point. An industry that is projected to make $1.4 billion by 2020 is unlikely to require the approval of naysayers.
    eSports: The virtual frontier of broadcast sport
    In many ways, the growth of the eSports industry highlights the flaws of traditional broadcast sport, which has been shown to be in steady decline according to research such as PwC’s Sports Survey 2017. eSports allows instant audience engagement through social video and streaming services such as Twitch; the perceived distance between players and fans is broken down. Meanwhile, broadcast sport has been using the same distribution model since its inception, and has been slow to accept innovations such as goal-line technology.

  18. #18
    Super Moderator FunkyDexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth
    Posts
    7,247

    Re: Hockey?

    Slapshot is pretty entertaining.
    I love that film. It's great showing it to your friends for the first time and watching their reaction the first time the Hansens take the ice. Bored to hooked in ten seconds flat.

    I can see a few things wrong with that google poll. It lacks a definition for "fan" and it doesn't distinguish between hockey and that wierdo ice capades thing y'all are into over there.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

    Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

  19. #19
    Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Manchester uk
    Posts
    2,532

    Re: Hockey?

    Also. How Rugby has 410 mils? It's only played in US (American Rugby).
    Ahem... the great sport of Rugby is played in many countries around the world, invented in England but exported right across the world to Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, France, Italy, Canada, Romania, Georgia, Japan where the next world cup is being held and many more so 410 million feels a little low.

    Hockey (as in hockey played on grass) is massive in India and Pakistan where it is second only to Cricket as the most followed sport, its also an Olympic sport and therefore is played in quite a lot of countries, and they are probably adding those number to the Ice/fight Hockey ones.

    Basketball should be pretty big
    Basketball is pretty big, its the one US sport that has exported itself to be played everywhere, mainly because you dont need any gear to play it just a ball and a court.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you



  20. #20
    King of sapila
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    5,519

    Re: Hockey?

    Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    Ahem... the great sport of Rugby is played in many countries around the world, invented in England but exported right across the world to Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, France, Italy, Canada, Romania, Georgia, Japan where the next world cup is being held and many more so 410 million feels a little low.
    I distinguished that. I between American football and the "correct" Rugby.
    Slow as hell.

  21. #21
    Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Manchester uk
    Posts
    2,532

    Re: Hockey?

    I distinguished that. I between American football and the "correct" Rugby.
    Thank you, yes "Correct" Rugby is the proper designation
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Featured


Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width