dcsimg

Thread: Media in a frenzy over Microsoft's end of support for Windows 7 today.

Hyperactive Member Peter Porter's Avatar

Media in a frenzy over Microsoft's end of support for Windows 7 today.

Windows 7 support dies today: What you need to do now
    - Tom's Guide
    https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/windows-7-death

RIP Windows 7 – Microsoft’s best operating system ever?
    - Tech Radar
    https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/ri...ng-system-ever

Windows 7 is dead: How to stay as safe as possible after the security updates stop
    - PcWorld
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/3513...ates-stop.html

The death of Windows 7: the funeral is over... what now?
    - BetNews
    https://betanews.com/2020/01/14/windows-7-funeral/

Your PC is in danger if you use Windows 7
    - CNN
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/14/t...-do/index.html

Now It's Really, Truly Time to Give Up Windows 7
    - Wired
    https://www.wired.com/story/time-give-up-windows-7/

Now for the end of support surprise:

Windows 10 Has a Security Flaw So Severe the NSA Disclosed It (Doesn't affect Windows 7)
    - Wired
    https://www.wired.com/story/nsa-wind...ty-disclosure/
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Jan 15th, 2020 at 11:30 AM.

Re: Media in a frenzy over Microsoft's end of support for Windows 7 today.

Well, that ought to scare people.

With frenzies like this, who needs enemies?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    With frenzies like this, who needs enemies?
    Enemiezies?

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Eminemezies
    Name:  Eminem.PNG
Views: 78
Size:  123.0 KB
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

King of sapila

Aha,aha.
    We still have windows XP on some of our sites. W10 is a bug itself anyhow but it's hell or high water.

NOT!
    Slow as hell.

By this time, Microsoft could have completely gone through Windows 10 to eliminate ALL security issues. Their own study indicates that their main issue is still buffer overflows. Instead, they continue to push out more bling-bling and eye-candy for their users to beta test. Windows 10 has thousands of security holes that Microsoft has not found and "patched" yet. Hackers are likely to find them before Microsoft does, so the statement that "Windows 10 is more secure" doesn't hold any water.
    Last edited by jdc2000; Jan 16th, 2020 at 11:05 AM.

You can still upgrade from 7 to 10 for free if you want:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/14/2...s-7-10-free-os
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Windows 10 has thousands of security holes that Microsoft has not found and "patched" yet. Hackers are likely to find them before Microsoft does, so the statement that "Windows 10 is more secure" doesn't hold any water.
    Well the NSA gave them a hand yesterday, finding a huge flaw in Windows 10 that allows malware to hide behind a spoofed cyrptographic signature.

Windows 7 doesn't have this problem.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3514...available.html

Removed...thought better of my post.
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Jan 16th, 2020 at 06:49 AM.

King of sapila

As I'm not an admin myself, I had a talk with them.
    So here are the main reasons that we are not in any rush at all.
    1) From what I can figure out is that a security thread must first pass trough a couple of rooters a couple of firewalls a couple of antivirus and a couple of anti malware to activate.
    Also we have "boxed" the departments so a thread cannot start at department "A" and immediately migrate to department "B" .
    2)We need to buy a couple of thousand of licenses, granted that a multi license can be cheaper, it still is a cost that you must validly explain to the accounting department. Just saying "we need to upgrade because W7 support is ending" will just not do.
    3)Some programs (mostly on the accounting department, an on our of- Headquarters domains) will just don't work on 10.
    4)Trying to convince some people (including myself) to change from w7 to 10 is a non go. We need to bring our manager and their manager and some people from IT (I won't be there as I'm pro W7) to convince them. Also some programs installed are harder than a rock to re install on newer machines of the users.

So in the most obvious question asked to the admins: "When are we going to upgrade the users to W10?" the answer is "When the computer dies"
    Slow as hell.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Windows 10 has thousands of security holes that Microsoft has not found and "patched" yet. Hackers are likely to find them before Microsoft does, so the statement that "Windows 10 is more secure" doesn't hold any water.
    Thats just a nonsense statement, how on earth can you claim that it has thousands of security holes, that have not yet been found?

You might as well say there are Thousand of Aliens living among us right now but they just haven't been found yet, your statement hold no more credibility than that.

The reality is if the Operating system your using is no longer supported and therefore not receiving security patches its less secure than an O/S that is just because it wont get patched for new vulnerabilities.

The support issue is a far bigger deal for business customers, and there network admins who are responsible for securing there network and machines. I have seen plenty of small business over the years carry on with O/S out of support but larger business just dont do it because the risk is to great.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

From what I can figure out is that a security thread must first pass trough a couple of rooters a couple of firewalls a couple of antivirus and a couple of anti malware to activate.
    Thats really terrible reasoning, most virus's and malware come into your network in one of two ways, firstly through employees clicking on fishing email's that they shouldn't, and secondly employees bringing on a virus/malware unknowingly on a usb drive, not through your firewall.

At my work we have mandatory security training that all employees have to go through and pass every year, and while it doesn't hold a lot of value to me personally, there are plenty of employees in non technical positions for who it is valuable training.

We need to buy a couple of thousand of licenses, granted that a multi license can be cheaper, it still is a cost that you must validly explain to the accounting department. Just saying "we need to upgrade because W7 support is ending" will just not do.
    It should be enough, you only have to look at what happened with the NHS in England in the 2017 cyber attack which cost them 92million, and was caused mainly because there still had loads of Windows XP machines on the network and likely unpatched. Whether you like or hate it Windows 10 auto patches.

Some programs (mostly on the accounting department, an on our of- Headquarters domains) will just don't work on 10.
    We had a few programs that fit this criteria, and there is a simple answer to it, you upgrade to a version of the software that does work on Windows 10, if there isn't one you replace the software with one that works on Win10, and finally if that is not an option you put the software on a VM. Rarely are you in a situation where there is no choice.

4)Trying to convince some people (including myself) to change from w7 to 10 is a non go.
    Is shouldn't be a choice, it's not a choice at my work. Nobody asks you if you want to upgrade it is done for you and then they dont allow older O/S's on the network, so if you still want a job then you will be using a computer that has an O/S that they support.

Maybe you haven't had a virus or malware attack of any size at your work, they have had a couple at my work and since then security is not optional as it costs money.

What you do at home with your own PC is personal choice and your personal risk but businesses that use out of support Windows versions that are no longer being security patched are just asking for trouble.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Sometimes the forum formatting throws up something golden:-
    Name:  NSA.PNG
Views: 30
Size:  3.8 KB

What have you been getting up to now, dude?
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Just being pedantic

Is is Phishing not fishing.

Windows 10 has thousands of security holes that Microsoft has not found and "patched" yet
    How do you know?

King of sapila

FKN quote.

Anyhow: @NeedSomeAnswers

Thats really terrible reasoning, most virus's and malware come into your network in one of two ways, firstly through employees clicking on fishing email's that they shouldn't, and secondly employees bringing on a virus/malware unknowingly on a usb drive, not through your firewall.

At my work we have mandatory security training that all employees have to go through and pass every year, and while it doesn't hold a lot of value to me personally, there are plenty of employees in non technical positions for who it is valuable training.

---- That is why I've said, we used "boxed" environments. Thread cannot spread more than a couple of Computers.
    ----We have also trained the users but many viruses will start from someone at the far end of the cable, putting in a USB with some songs, well and a virus.
    ----We can restrict and secure that but when we tried, people complained about freedom rights at work and blah blah blah, so we can't go that way.

It should be enough, you only have to look at what happened with the NHS in England in the 2017 cyber attack which cost them 92million, and was caused mainly because there still had loads of Windows XP machines on the network and likely unpatched. Whether you like or hate it Windows 10 auto patches.

----Try to explain that to the Accounting department and see how it goes. Likely unpatched does not apply here, we are patching everything...Broken arms, legs :P

We had a few programs that fit this criteria, and there is a simple answer to it, you upgrade to a version of the software that does work on Windows 10, if there isn't one you replace the software with one that works on Win10, and finally if that is not an option you put the software on a VM. Rarely are you in a situation where there is no choice.

----Some programs do not work on 10 and there is no upgrade. Don't you think we haven't thought on a VM? They just don't want the PC's moved as they are comfortably attached to a lovely location as an "antic"

Is shouldn't be a choice, it's not a choice at my work. Nobody asks you if you want to upgrade it is done for you and then they dont allow older O/S's on the network, so if you still want a job then you will be using a computer that has an O/S that they support.

----It shouldn't be but it is. We also maintain MAC PC's, we don't have a guru background for those but personally I hope the machines fry in hell!

Maybe you haven't had a virus or malware attack of any size at your work, they have had a couple at my work and since then security is not optional as it costs money.

What you do at home with your own PC is personal choice and your personal risk but businesses that use out of support Windows versions that are no longer being security patched are just asking for trouble.

----We had an encryption virus attack last year. It spread to a couple of PC's, we manage to contain it.
    We have virus attacks more often than you may think, especially in known sites that are live on the web. On those sites we also constantly get DOS attacks and SQL injection attacks from our lovely China hackers. We handle it.

----What I do at home is trying to infect the company
    Last edited by sapator; Yesterday at 09:16 AM. Reason: DDOS ATTACKKK!!! YOOO HOOOO!!!
    Slow as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    FKN quote.

Anyhow: @NeedSomeAnswers

---- That is why I've said, we used "boxed" environments. Thread cannot spread more than a couple of Computers.
    ----We have also trained the users but many viruses will start from someone at the far end of the cable, putting in a USB with some songs, well and a virus.
    ----We can restrict and secure that but when we tried, people complained about freedom rights at work and blah blah blah, so we can't go that way.

----Try to explain that to the Accounting department and see how it goes. Likely unpatched does not apply here, we are patching everything...Broken arms, legs :P

----Some programs do not work on 10 and there is no upgrade. Don't you think we haven't thought on a VM? They just don't want the PC's moved as they are comfortably attached to a lovely location as an "antic"

----It shouldn't be but it is. We also maintain MAC PC's, we don't have a guru background for those but personally I hope the machines fry in hell!

----We had an encryption virus attack last year. It spread to a couple of PC's, we manage to contain it.
    We have virus attacks more often than you may think, especially in known sites that are live on the web. On those site we also constantly get DOS attacks and SQL injection attacks from our lovely China hackers. We handle it.

----What I do at home is trying to infect the company
    At my company everyone has to take and sign off on security classes. Our management tests us with fake phishing attempts and other ways. If you fall for one you get written up and have to take the training again. If you fall for one again you'll be explaining why your employment shouldn't be terminated.

King of sapila

Bah, That does not apply in Greece.
    Half the employees of all companies would be looking for jobs as we speak if that applied.
    But on the bright side we constantly keep getting fire and earthquake training.... Do they know something that they don't tell us?...
    Slow as hell.

I have some sympathy for Sapator's position. Back around 2000 I used to write software that was used by charities in Africa and their budget was basically nil. There was no way they could keep up with OS versions and their posteriors were perpetually hanging out in the wind where malware threats were concerned. Mostly they had to train the human element and keep their fingers crossed. Realistically they'd never be targeted but you don't need to be the target to get caught in the fall out.

That is why I've said, we used "boxed" environments. Thread cannot spread more than a couple of Computers.
    Thats a plus at least, your company have tried to work around it, its not a great solution but i suppose its a solution.

As far as restricting peoples rights i guess that maybe a cultural thing, in the UK at least in places i have worked the company creates and enforces the rules and the employees just have to deal with it or get another job.

I have some sympathy for Sapator's position. Back around 2000 I used to write software that was used by charities in Africa and their budget was basically nil
    Charities are an edge case though and having done some work for one i completely understand why they would not be paying for licence upgrades there is just no spare money for that kind of stuff, companies on the other hand should generally find a way.

At the point where you servers being down for the day costs more than your licence upgrade costs (so your on a supported OS) you should be investing in the licences.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Sometimes the forum formatting throws up something golden:-
    Name:  NSA.PNG
Views: 30
Size:  3.8 KB

What have you been getting up to now, dude?
    Nothing to see here, move on Ahem

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    From what I can figure out is that a security thread must first pass trough a couple of rooters a couple of firewalls a couple of antivirus and a couple of anti malware to activate.

Great that Kenny G is a listening right somewhere.

Last edited by Peter Porter; Yesterday at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Realistically they'd never be targeted but you don't need to be the target to get caught in the fall out.
    Seriously??? Dude, I kept hearing from this one Nigerian prince who was LOADED!! Could never get him to bite on any phishing, though.

Aside from that, it's good to know that the NSA is contributing to a thread on computer security....unless it's the wrong NSA...
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I actually grew up in Nigeria (as an ex-pat). EVRYONE is a prince.