Fond farewell to net neutrality-VBForums

Thread: Fond farewell to net neutrality

Fond farewell to net neutrality

Looks like Thursday is the funeral....or at least the beginning of the mourning.

http://thehill.com/policy/technology...trality-repeal

The FCC is expected to pass the new regulations, as all three Republicans on the commission have said they support the measure. So much for not being a partisan decision.

At least we will have the FCC and FTC to protect us. Ajit Pai heads the FCC. Pai is a well-known opponent of net neutrality of course.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion….

PowerPoster

Re: Fond farewell to net neutrality

Senators Joe Manchin (D-WV), Claire McCaskill (D-MO), Gary Peters (D-MI), and Jon Tester (D-MT) voted to reconfirm former Verizon lawyer Ajit Pai as chairman of the FCC.

I don't think this is about partisan positions but instead neoliberal positions.

The way these things work is that Democrats designate enough members to support such measures, giving the other members "shelter" to pretend they are with the people when they really aren't. For the best result they choose sacrificial lambs least vulnerable to voter action based upon the position taken. They have a horde of industry lobbyists and consultants to game various scenarios for the best result before instructions are issued and such a "vote" is held. This leaves the other members free to virtue signal all they want to keep your votes.

Republicans work essentially the same way.

Don't be fooled. This is a representative body but one that represents industry interests, not your interests.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Senators Joe Manchin (D-WV), Claire McCaskill (D-MO), Gary Peters (D-MI), and Jon Tester (D-MT) voted to reconfirm former Verizon lawyer Ajit Pai as chairman of the FCC.

I don't think this is about partisan positions but instead neoliberal positions.

The way these things work is that Democrats designate enough members to support such measures, giving the other members "shelter" to pretend they are with the people when they really aren't. For the best result they choose sacrificial lambs least vulnerable to voter action based upon the position taken. They have a horde of industry lobbyists and consultants to game various scenarios for the best result before instructions are issued and such a "vote" is held. This leaves the other members free to virtue signal all they want to keep your votes.

Republicans work essentially the same way.

Don't be fooled. This is a representative body but one that represents industry interests, not your interests.
    I'm not going to argue your point, but, just on face value.

Neutrality was secure while the Democrats were in office, less than a year after Republicans get in, it is being trashed. You can word it anyway you want but if a Democrat was in office, in my opinion, we wouldn't be discussing this.

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I'm not going to argue your point, but, just on face value.

Neutrality was secure while the Democrats were in office, less than a year after Republicans get in, it is being trashed. You can word it anyway you want but if a Democrat was in office, in my opinion, we wouldn't be discussing this.
    Really? I remember just a couple years ago everyone was in a tizzy about this same thing... and there was a Democrat in the White House then too...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Really? I remember just a couple years ago everyone was in a tizzy about this same thing... and there was a Democrat in the White House then too...

-tg
    Gee...was it still in place when they left? Will it be in a few weeks now that Republicans are in? I can appreciate your position and see some of your points but to me; the bottom line is the Republicans are changing it.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I have to agree with Tyson on this one,

A Democratic government put the current regulations in place, yes i suspect there was some disagreement even with the Democratic party on it, but in the end they did the right thing and supported and enacted net neutrality.

The current Republican government is now trying to dismantle that regulation in some part probably just because the Democrats supported it but also because of intense lobbying & funding by ISP's to the Republican party.

Having Net Neutrality is pro consumer and is pro citizen, it looks after our interest over corporate interests. Removing those protections will in the end lead to policies that are the opposite.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

The reason this is an issue is because it's all just rule making. There is NO legislation on the subject, so each president gets to appoint people who then get to do whatever they feel like. If we wanted this to be solved, it should be solved by Congress.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Democrats take at least as much money as Republicans from the vested interests (Comcast, Verizon, etc.). Trying to pretend that Obama didn't fully expect this to be ash-canned is just naive. Given that expectation, his actions cost him nothing and fooled the gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    The reason this is an issue is because it's all just rule making. There is NO legislation on the subject, so each president gets to appoint people who then get to do whatever they feel like. If we wanted this to be solved, it should be solved by Congress.
    Yeah...maybe that could be another big beautiful Christmas present...

Right, but Dil makes a good point: This wasn't done under the Democrats, either. I doubt that either party feels any heat over this, so they aren't doing anything. This is HUGE business against HUGE business, so I don't see anything particularly partisan or nefarious about it. I just feel that nobody has complained enough for any legislative action to have been taken. We've been uncomplaining under net neutrality. We'll either start complaining once it goes away....or we won't. The changes may be slow enough that people will just get used to it.

The world we have is far from ideal, but it's the world we are used to.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I just feel that nobody has complained enough for any legislative action to have been taken.
    Sigh...

And that leads into more partisan BS...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.196adbd24ae4

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.4aa06b40ebcb

PowerPoster

Nobody is suggesting that Pai is any sort of "good guy." But he has served in the FCC since being appointed by Obama in 2012.

This not not partisan, both "teams" in the D.C. League are a part of the problem.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Democrats take at least as much money as Republicans from the vested interests (Comcast, Verizon, etc.). Trying to pretend that Obama didn't fully expect this to be ash-canned is just naive.
    In my opinion Obama didn't expect a Trump presidency and without a Trump presidency the regulation would probably just have been left alone.

Of course the Democrats take a money from vested interests, but what was clear to me was the Obama directed the push towards title 2 regulation, pushing it through Congress may have been considered but then he would have to be sure to have the votes and its not clear he had them.

Anyway it doesn't really matter why or how the regulations where enacted, what is more important in my opinion is that they are now being torn down so soon afterwards in what looks like a purely vindictive and vested interest move.

I haven't seen anyone come up with a good reason as to how this is will be good for the general public, you can talk about it being big business vs big business but on one side of the equation is also the general public who will lose out if ISP are allowed to charge different prices for different lanes of internet traffic.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Nobody is suggesting that Pai is any sort of "good guy." But he has served in the FCC since being appointed by Obama in 2012.

This not not partisan, both "teams" in the D.C. League are a part of the problem.
    I can see you are not going to concede it is partisanship even though it plainly is. I guess I'll have to concede I'm not going to change your mind about that.
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Today at 06:10 AM.

Here is a short concise write-up...

http://mashable.com/2017/12/12/net-n.../#X6pz8dd3YsqU

But unless something very surprising happens; say good-bye to net neutrality. At least until a Democrat is in the White House again. Not to imply that it was a partisan decision.
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Today at 07:43 AM.