Thread: this has to be a joke

Frenzied Member

Re: this has to be a joke

Oh well they get a nice laser show
    If you dribble then you are as mad as me

Lost World Creations Website (XBOX Indie games)
    Lene Marlin

Let me put it this way, it would just be yet another Tom Clancy scenario put into the real world. In "Debt of Honor", John Clark and his partner (can't remember the name ATM) use a "light cannon", which is simply an extremely strong lamp, so strong that it overloads the nerve system, to down three radar observation planes during the landing approach.
    All the buzzt
    CornedBee

"Writing specifications is like writing a novel. Writing code is like writing poetry."
    - Anonymous, published by Raymond Chen

Don't PM me with your problems, I scan most of the forums daily. If you do PM me, I will not answer your question.

Quote Originally Posted by CornedBee
    Let me put it this way, it would just be yet another Tom Clancy scenario put into the real world. In "Debt of Honor", John Clark and his partner (can't remember the name ATM) use a "light cannon", which is simply an extremely strong lamp, so strong that it overloads the nerve system, to down three radar observation planes during the landing approach.
    CornedBee I don't know how many Tom Clancy books you have read but they are really a "How to perform terroist acts." I dont know which book, it might be "Without Remorse", they fly a plain into the white house? or maybe im just reading to much into it. Btw have you read any of his Netforce books?

Quote Originally Posted by john tindell
    CornedBee I don't know how many Tom Clancy books you have read but they are really a "How to perform terroist acts." I dont know which book, it might be "Without Remorse", they fly a plain into the white house? or maybe im just reading to much into it. Btw have you read any of his Netforce books?
    I've read all of the books in the main series (Jack Ryan et al.), as well as Red Storm Rising, two Op-Center books, Fighter Wing and Every Man a Tiger.

And yes, they are very much "how to perform terrorist acts." "Without Remorse" gives instructions to be a Sniper Murderer, for example. The book you mean is "Debt of Honor", too, where at the very end a Japanese civil pilot, who lost his son and brother in a war with America, flies his 747 into the White House just before a new vice president (Jack Ryan) is supposed to be sworn to his job. The pilot manages to kill the president, a lot of the senate, nearly all supreme judges, and most of the cabinet.
    The next book, "Executive Orders", details an elaborate biological attack using Ebola virii. "Rainbox Six", after that, does the same, but from a different perspective.
    All the buzzt
    CornedBee

"Writing specifications is like writing a novel. Writing code is like writing poetry."

Don't PM me with your problems, I scan most of the forums daily. If you do PM me, I will not answer your question.

I have all of Tom Clancys books 'cause my mum and brother like him, and im just starting to get into them, after years of hearing all about them from my family. The NetForce books are good but not as "Spider Webbed" as his others. But sayng that i have only read "Hunt For Red October" and "Red Storm Rising"

Red Storm Rising is his best, IMHO. I simply love it.
    All the buzzt
    CornedBee

Hunt for red october is a good film
    If you dribble then you are as mad as me

Lost World Creations Website (XBOX Indie games)
    Lene Marlin

The book is even better.
    All the buzzt
    CornedBee

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

Didn't you see the /news/ in the URL?

Well, not much of a danger there, really.
    A properly helmeted and visored Military Pilot could easily be accesorized with a laser resistent visor.

But the really high tech pilots aren't even affected at all, since they fly by VR, and don't even visually see the real world.

Frenzied Member

such a small beam of light going a few miles away to the pilots eye? chances are so wild it doesn't deserve a second thought

So make a wide beam, then. It only needs to cause temporary blindness, so it doesn't even need that much power.
    I just don't see why it needs to be a laser. Normal lamps are far easier to form into a wide beam. They have the same blinding effect if strong enough.
    All the buzzt
    CornedBee

I have a better change of winning the power ball lottery, then a terrorist has of bring down a plane with a laser light!

Do they make them the size of telephone poles?
    Mudfish AKA Bowfin
    I can spell "If" all day right, just a coder!

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemingway

Member of the ECCC

i didn't think that they even let them on a plane! Maybe it would reflect off of the metal, but couldn't reliably be aimed that way. Do they have keyholes in the cockpit door? I doubt it!

dglienna, the idea is that a terrorist lurks near an airport and points his laser at incoming planes from the outside.
    All the buzzt
    CornedBee

then the odds of actually blinding a pilot is near impossible, unless that they have high-powered laser beams. maybe fixed on a pole, or something? I don't see how you could get a pilot. easier to use a rifle. that's why there is a fence around the airport!

Frenzied Member

even hitting the pilot in the head is practically impossible. From 5 miles away, while traveling very very fast they plan on hitting him in the eye with an oversized laser pointer? What kind of electronic aiming mount do they have this thing on?

On the other hand, a short flash might suffice, so a scanning laser can cover quite a large area.
    All the buzzt
    CornedBee

Frenzied Member

the laser will also angle when it hits the windshield...so at most angles it may be physically impossible to hit a pilot anyway, still sounds silly to me

But if people aren't scared, who's going to support Bush?
    All the buzzt
    CornedBee

Frenzied Member

hehehe there you go

Last edited by mudfish; Dec 31st, 2004 at 09:39 AM.
    Mudfish AKA Bowfin
    I can spell "If" all day right, just a coder!

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemingway

Member of the ECCC

So the plan is: Let's tell people that we are worried about something that is totally crazy, so that all the kooks will think "Gee, I think I'll try THAT.". This will keep them from doing anything that is actually dangerous.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing