Thread: constructor to deserialize object not found [Resolved]

Fanatic Member

Resolved constructor to deserialize object not found [Resolved]

any idea of what the following exception actualy means? I mean in usable programmer speak? All of the classes to be serialized have regular constructors. Is there some sort of special constructor for deserializing that I eveidently don't know about? I've been working on this UserDB set of classes for quite a bit longer than I wanted to and vbforums.com search doesn't find very much when I copy + paste "The constructor to deserialize an object of type was not found"

An unhandled exception of type 'System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException' occurred in mscorlib.dll

Additional information: The constructor to deserialize an object of type GenericChatServer.Users was not found.
    It's also bugging me that pressing F1 no longer brings you to a help page with a useful description of the exeception. Now, it brings me to a help page describing the intricate workings of the exception dialog which contains no more than four buttons...

As you can probably tell, I'm a bit pissed.
    Last edited by agent; Nov 30th, 2004 at 11:55 PM.

Do all dependent or child objects of that object have parameterless constructors?

Fanatic Member
    resolved it

ok... though it's not in the documentation as far as I could find, if the class inherits Hashtable, you need to include
    VB Code:
    1. Protected Sub New(ByVal info As Runtime.Serialization.SerializationInfo, ByVal context As Runtime.Serialization.StreamingContext)
    2.         MyBase.New(info, context)
    3.     End Sub

If the class uses no constructor, you'll need to add a blank one.