Thread: Convert VB6 program to C++

Lively Member

Convert VB6 program to C++

I suspect I already know the answer, but is there any software available to convert a fairly sophisticated, multi form, multi Class Module VB6 program directly to C++.

I would like to get to the smaller, faster, more easily deployed world of C, now that I have enjoyed the easier development environment of VB6.

Thanks in advance

As far as I know there is no such program. Why do you want to do this? Is your program too slow?

Whatever does exist out there is only for simple Basic <--> C conversion, if that.

Lively Member
    My main concern is for deployment. I have written many C programs in the past and they essentially run first time in any environment.

With VB6 my experience has been just the opposite. I sometimes struggle just to make a VB6 program run on a second machine on my own desk. I have found the package and deployment capabilities to be terrible, and they create huge files which must also be distributed and installed.

My program has some commercial value, so deployment issues are paramount.

The best VB option I have seen is VB PowerWrap, which creates a large executable with all dependencies contained therein.

Why don't you start from scratch and convert it.

I found after learning enough c++ converting many of my VB apps into c++ was easy, if not better for I would find many ways to easily improve my current framework.

I enjoy C++, but VB was to good to me, so I took the time to write a class set of controls just like VB.
    So I can create Forms, Buttons, CheckBoxs,Labels,TextBox's...the very basics, with simply VB like code...I can even add events. I'm quite proud of this project because its super small in the end (a 30kb lib file) and it is written with lots of OOP.

If you believe that would help you in converting your project.
    "From what was there, and was meant to be, but not of that was faded away." - - Steve Damm

"The polar opposite of nothingness is existance. When existance calls apon nothingness it shall return to nothingness." - - Steve Damm

"When you do things right, people won't be sure if you did anything at all." - - God from Futurama

192.168.0.1 Preferred Animal: Penguin Reason for errors: Line#38
    I've looked in the past, and found a VB --> delphi converter. It costs money, but apparently it'll convert most projects. I think delphi runs faster than VB, but slower than C++. Sorry, i don't have a link, since i searched ages ago, and didn't want to buy it, but a quick google should give you a link to the site.

p.s. sorrty if this is incoherent, but i'm pissed.
    Quotes:
    "I am getting better then you guys.." NoteMe, on his leet english skills.
    "And I am going to meat her again later on tonight." NoteMe
    "I think you should change your name to QuoteMe" Shaggy Hiker, regarding NoteMe
    "my sweet lord jesus. I've decided never to have breast implants" Tom Gibbons
    Have I helped you? Please Rate my posts.

Lively Member
    I am not at a point where I can take the time lag to get back up to speed and switch to my desired platform. If the capability were there to transform into a clean, well formed and documented starting point in C++, I would chance the learning curve, but looks like VB is it for now.