dcsimg

Thread: Make the API Viewer show up as an available add-in [RESOLVED]

Resolved Make the API Viewer show up as an available add-in [RESOLVED]

... how do I do that? At one time, on one PC somewhere that I working on, the VB 6 API Viewer would show up as an available add-in, but now it does not. The API loader and all that stuff is where it should be under Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\blah blah.
    Last edited by BruceG; Sep 30th, 2004 at 12:22 PM.
    "It's cold gin time again ..."

Check out my website here.

I had this problem once. I uninstalled and reinstalled VB, but it still wasn't there. So I made a short-cut for Apiload.exe and put it in the VB menu. I later formatted and rebuilt.

Doesn't it show in the Add-In Manager list? VB 6 API Viewer

I presume you know how to add the viewer to Add-In Manager?

Thanks for the reply. Formatting/rebuilding is not an option on the PC in question. If the API Viewer showed up as an available add-in under the add-in manager, I would be able to take it from there. It's getting it to show up that is the issue.

Yes Bruce I too have it as an Add-In fr VB6 on one of my systems
    for the API Viewer 2003. I havent upgraded this system to 2004
    yet, but have it on my other system with .NET.

All I can say it that with 2003 it adds a line in the c:\winnt\vbaddin.ini file
    like this...

Code:
    ApiViewer2003vb5.Connect=0
    Maybe if you change it in yours to reflect 2004 it will show up in the add
    in manager list.

HTH
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

RobDog,
    Where would such an entry show up? Is there a VB ini file or registry setting for this? (Again this is for VB6, not .NET).

Originally posted by BruceG
    RobDog,
    Where would such an entry show up? Is there a VB ini file ....

Yeppers, in the Windows Directory (I just had alook myself

Bruce.
    Handy References:
    MSDN Library
    ADO Tutorial Excel Tutorial MZTools (VB6)

• Please pull down the Thread Tools menu and click the 'Mark Thread Resolved' button, or alternately edit your original post and add "Resolved" or place a in the subject when your question(s) have been answered.
    • Please use code tags [highlight=vb] your code goes here between the tags [/highlight] when posting code.

Originally posted by RobDog888
    ...with 2003 it adds a line in the c:\winnt\vbaddin.ini file
    like this...
    There is a vbaddin.ini and a vb.ini file.

I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Thanks for the info, guys. Sorry, RobDog, I didn't realize at the time that you had answered the question about the ini file in your original reply (Duh ...).

Anyway, I still don't see a connection between the contents of that file and what I see in the add-in manager. For example, in my home setup (where everything DOES appear in the add-in manager) the contents of the vbaddin.ini file are:
    Code:
    [Add-Ins32]
    MTxAddIn2.RegRefresh=3
    RVBAddInMenus.Connector=0
    RVBAddIn.Connector=0
    and when I look at the add-in manager from VB, I have a "full set" of items - not only the API Viewer, but the PDW, Data Form Wizard, Property Page Wizard, etc. (I've attached a .jpg screen shot of it.)

I will have to compare this to the ini file on the work PC, which is the one in question.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Resolved

OK, got to the bottom of it. This explains why I couldn't see it at work, but could at home. First, there is a bug reported by MS that:
    "Add-Ins Only Visible to the User Who Installs VB". See this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

OK, so I see what's going on - an admin set up my PC before I started the job, but then of course I log on as myself and hence the issue.

So I'm looking at the MS article (the linked one above) and - nothing about the API Viewer! Well, the regsvr32 method is fine for OCX's and DLL's, but APILOAD is an EXE.

So I had to use the following command to get the thing working (in the Start/Run box) :
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\Tools\Winapi\apiload.exe" /regserver

Now the thing is showing up in the add-in manager and everything is just peachy-keen.

Cool, Bruce. I will use the fix too now.

Thanks.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Reading the article you posted from Microsoft you don't register Apiload.exe you register Microsoft Visual Studio\Vb98\Wizards\PDWizard\Pdaddin.dll with Regsvr32.exe. There are no properties for this dll.

Visual Basic retrieves available Add-Ins based on the CurrentUser Settings in the Registry. When a user logs on to a machine and launches Visual Basic, Visual Basic determines which Add-ins to load by checking on the CurrentUser keys. Because users who log on to the system have their individual settings, Visual Basic will load Add-Ins differently for different users.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve the issue the Add-Ins need to be registered for each user. There are two possible ways to update the registry with the necessary information:

Manually register each Add-In for each user using the Regsvr32.exe utility. For example, the following command line shows how to register the Package and Deployment Wizard Add-In:

<Path to regsvr32.exe>\regsvr32.exe <Path to Add-In>\pdaddin.dll

NOTE: The above line should be modified to reflect the correct path information.

This workaround would have to be done by each user and for each Add-In the user requires. For a list of available Add-Ins and where they are located please see the "More Information" section in this article.
    Export the necessary registry entries and import them into the registry while logged in as the appropriate user. The steps below describe how to do this:

Re: Make the API Viewer show up as an available add-in [RESOLVED]

Hi,
    First time on this Forum.
    I have a quick solution if anybody needs it.

copy the Boldtext below and paste into Notepad, save and name the extension as .REG
    Double click the newly created registry file, click Yes on UAC and Yes to Continue to add the contents to the registry. This will add the 'API Viewer' to the Add-In Manager. You may have to do this for each user.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Visual Basic\6.0\Addins\APIDeclarationLoader.AddInDesigner]
    "FriendlyName"="#353"
    "Description"="#354"
    "SatelliteDllName"="apiload.exe"
    "LoadBehavior"=dword:00000000
    "CommandLineSafe"=dword:00000000

Hope this works for All.