Thread: VB: Underground: A Cave Flying Game [Source]

VB6, XHTML & CSS hobbyist Merri's Avatar

VB: Underground: A Cave Flying Game [Source]

Ok, first of all, I'm not sure if this complex codes are allowed here Then I must say, this is not a completed game: it has only the player ship, which can be controlled via keyboard and gamepad, and it can shoot and destroy the randomly generated level. It does have even a simple collision detection and particles flying around (after you've shot the terrain).

The code should be expandable. With some coding, it should be possible to add new objects flying around and so on... I'm not so sure about other ships though, it's been a long time since I last coded this one.

Anyways, hope you like it. I have the code available over PSC as well, so if you like it... well, you know what you could do
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Electroman; Jun 3rd, 2004 at 05:17 PM.

Screenshot

Of course you might want to see a shot of the game.

Finally updated the picture to show up right on
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Merri; Oct 14th, 2004 at 05:07 AM.

Nice

That's very nice, especially when you haven't used directX
    "Lies, sanctions, and cruise missiles have never created a free and just society. Only everyday people can do that."
    - Zack de la Rocha

Hear me roar.

A new version. Better collision detection added. It slows down the performance too much though... more work to be done with it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hyperactive Member
    Sweet stuff... I like.
    If my post has been helpful, then please rate it accordingly...
    If it has solved your question(s), then don't forget to mark the thread as "[Resolved]"... thank you.

Fanatic Member
    i don't get the point of the game
    Last edited by jsun9; Feb 13th, 2004 at 02:54 PM.

Since this is CodeBank I don't see the need for a point to a game. It is here to help others in making their games..

Phreak

Visual Studio 6, Visual Studio.NET 2005, MASM

Fanatic Member
    i see your point.. but the author said it's a game.

i feel that the word "demonstration" should have appeared in the title somewhere if it's really not a game.

not a big deal.. i was just wondering if i was missing something.

thanks for the insight.

There should be enemies in the level or there could be human players against each other. It lacks players, that's why it doesn't feel much of a game.

There you go, I moved it into this section for you .

BTW the game is really good , took me a while to figure out you have to press both left and right together to go up . The firing was a little dodgy but I had a similar problem on the game I am currently working on, I spent hours tuning the speed of the bullets when firing while moving. My ship was keep shooting itself becuase it would go faster than the bullets .
    When your thread has been resolved please edit the original post in the thread ()
    and amend "-[RESOLVED]-" to the end of the title and change the icon to , Thank you.

When posting Code use the [VBCode]Code Here[/VBCode] tags to be able to use the code highlighting.

Thanks

Considering this was done with the skills I had in 2001, I think it is pretty good. Can you imagine I had pretty much no experience with API at the time?

If I'd begin with this thing now, I'd store screen and data in byte arrays and do all kinds of cool stuff - fast

Though I'd prolly use 8-bit depth, for some reason I like old paletted games more than the 32-bit modern ones.

Posted by Merri
    If I'd begin with this thing now, I'd store screen and data in byte arrays and do all kinds of cool stuff - fast

Though I'd prolly use 8-bit depth, for some reason I like old paletted games more than the 32-bit modern ones.
    I personally like using 32bit (especially over 16bit), but I find it best when you try to recreate old style graphics using the new tools. Like my Vectors Games I am making purley with lines (My Current Project) but I am using Hardware acceleration for it, adding nice features like Anti-Aliasing and Alpha Blending .

Are you thinking of redoing it? Not that it looks like it needs it. Just Like SLH has redone his Gems 'N Rocks using Dx .
    When your thread has been resolved please edit the original post in the thread ()
    and amend "-[RESOLVED]-" to the end of the title and change the icon to , Thank you.

When posting Code use the [VBCode]Code Here[/VBCode] tags to be able to use the code highlighting.

If I ever did this again, it'd seriously need the completing of the project as well. Anyways, I think things as palette animation are great if used properly. And 8-bit dithering has come from the past days, IrfanView creates very good paletted images for one (my current wallpaper is 256 colors PNG but you can't tell it without zooming!) - the point with dithering is that you can create game graphics 32-bit and then fit them to your palette

Seriously, Underground is too slow for an old machine, even though I did it with a P200 at the time (I think).