Thread: Request for input on multi-lingual application

Request for input on multi-lingual application

Hello all;

I am developing an app that must display everything in one of three languages (English, French, Spanish). I would like input on the best way to do this. The options being considered at present are:

1. Store all info in an Oracle table, and each time a form loads, pull the approriate captions and populate the form.

2. Store the info in Oracle, and load all captions when app starts up into an array - then as each form loads, pull the values from the array. The array would have to store values of a user defined type that would include the name of the form and either the index for the control (if it is in control array - most of which are) or the actual name of the control, as well as its caption.

3. Use a ressource file

I have already explored option 1, and it seems to work OK, but there is a DB concern as this app will run on a central server that users will access via terminal services - there could be as many as 100 users at one time using the app. Option 2 should work but I am concerned about excessive RAM consumption (array would have to be about 700 elements). Option 3 is the latest one to be considered - although it is new to me and I am still learning about .res files. With 3 languages at 700 captions or so each, that would put the number of string entries in the .res file at about 2100 - is this too much maybe?

Any thoughts would be much obliged.
    "Knowledge is gained when different people look at the same information in different ways"

- Louis Pasteur

If this program is just "in-house" (ie: not going to be used where the database cant be accessed), then I would be inclined to use a database, as it will allow you to make changes to the text without re-compiling the program.

As far as option 1 & 2 go, I would say stick with number 1. The time taken to access the database should be very low, so using local memory to store a copy of the data seems wasteful, especially as the database connection is also likey to store a copy for you.

The amount of users shouldn't be a problem unless you are continually loading forms in your program.

thanks for the reply Si - quick question if you don't mind...when you compile an exe of a VB project that has a .res file, does the .res file become enbedded in the exe? My bosses over here are really debating over this issue as to which way to go - I want to be able to present all 3 options with full info. Thanks again.
    "Knowledge is gained when different people look at the same information in different ways"

- Louis Pasteur

I havent used Res files myself (everything I do is in-house), but from what others have said on this site I'm pretty sure it does get put inside the Exe. It would be best to try it to make sure

Yeah, I just compiled the sample project I am looking at, placed the exe in a shared folder on our network - it ran perfectly...I guess it must get embedded. If any other members out there have input about the first part of this thread, the more the merrier!! (thanks again Si)

- Louis Pasteur