Thread: Not Resolved -> KeyDown or KeyPress Not always working

Frenzied Member

Not Resolved -> KeyDown or KeyPress Not always working

I have a MSHFlexGrid, but the KeyPress or KeyDown methods don't always work.

E.G. You can see that the grid has focus. But when you press the Insert Key, on the keyboard, it doesn't always trigger the KeyDown Event, it does most of the time but not always. Same if the grid has focus and you press a letter, it doesn't always trigger the KeyPress Event.

Why is this?
    Last edited by mel_flynn; Apr 22nd, 2004 at 04:55 AM.
    Mel

Frenzied Member
    Can anyone shed any light on this matter? It's quite important. Why would pressing a key on the keyboard not trigger the KeyDown or KeyPress Events?
    Mel

Hyperactive Member Frodo_Baggins's Avatar
    Im not pretty sure, but when I used to work with the KeyPress event on forms, I would always adjust the KeyPreview property of the Form to true. Maybe that will help --- but Im not pretty sure.

Addicted Member
    Just for the heck of it... try setting the KeyPreview of the form to TRUE. In the form's KeyDown event, test the VBKeyInsert and pass the code as required.
    Never tie a rock to your ankle while randomly selecting stones to throw from high places.

Addicted Member
    Frodo

Sorry... you beat me to the punch. Didn't mean to reiterate.
    Never tie a rock to your ankle while randomly selecting stones to throw from high places.

Frenzied Member
    I tried setting the KeyPreview on the form to true, but still, sometimes, when I press a key when my grid has focus, it's not triggering the KeyDown or KeyPress Event of the Grid.

This is driving me mad
    Mel

Addicted Member
    Haven't worked much with FlexGrid... are you sure you have the latest upgrades and patches?

Frenzied Member
    Well I'm running VB6 (SP5), I think that's the latest??
    Mel

Addicted Member
    Ok... I'll work with it and get back to you. In the mean time, maybe someone else will post an answer.

Addicted Member
    I'm not sure there is a KeyAscii equilalent to the Insert Key, therefore; Keypress will fail...

Use KeyDown and KeyUp instead... to prove the point... create a new project and install a FlexGrid named MSFlexGrid1. Add the following:

VB Code:
    1. Private Sub MSFlexGrid1_KeyDown(KeyCode As Integer, Shift As Integer)
    2.     'Will be received
    3.     If KeyCode = vbKeyInsert Then
    4.         MsgBox "I've got KeyDown focus"
    5.     End If
    7. End Sub
    9. Private Sub MSFlexGrid1_KeyPress(KeyAscii As Integer)
    10.     'will not be received
    11.     If KeyAscii = vbKeyInsert Then
    12.         MsgBox "I've got KeyPress focus"
    13.     End If
    15. End Sub

Frenzied Member
    SP6 is out

Originally posted by mel_flynn
    Well I'm running VB6 (SP5), I think that's the latest??

PowerPoster
    Can you recreate the problem or does it happen randomly?
    Is the flexgrid data bound?
    Does the flexgrid really have the focus?

Try the KeyPreview property of the Form again. Put this code in the Form_KeyDown event.

Debug.print Me.ActiveControl.Name, vbkeycode

Then, when it seems the Insert key is not being recognized by the FlexGrid, this will display the name of the control that has the focus. At least you will know if it is a flex grid problem or caused elsewhere.

Frenzied Member
    I'm not sure there is a KeyAscii equilalent to the Insert Key, therefore; Keypress will fail...
    I realise this, I am using the KeyDown to trap Non-alphanumeric keys like INSERT; ENTER; DELETE etc, and I am using the the KeyPress Event to trap all alphanumeric keys.
    SP6 is out
    I don't think that this is the problem.
    Can you recreate the problem or does it happen randomly?
    Is the flexgrid data bound?
    Does the flexgrid really have the focus?
    1. I can't intentionally recreate it, it's happening randomly, not sure what's triggering it to happen.
    2. The MSHFlexgrid isn't databound, I'm populating it by adding the data to the grid with a loop.
    3. Yes the grid has focus as when I arrow left, right, up or down it moves from cell to cell, but again doesn't trigger the KeyDown event.
    Mel

Frenzied Member
    OK really weird. I'm stepping through the code now and it's not calling the KeyDown Event when I press INSERT; DELETE or RETURN, but it will call the KeyDown Event when I press any of the arrows, or the PageUp and Down Key or the Home and End Keys. It will call it when I press Alt but not when I press Ctrl. It will call it when I press F10 but won't for any other F- Key. It won't call it for ESC.

Why is this?????
    Mel

Frenzied Member
    Anyone?
    Mel

yes... for the use of the INSERT and DELETE and HOME, etc ...
    you need to trap the KeyCode ... I don't have at hand the list of keys that you only get to catch thru KeyDown

but I use the KeyDown in a ListView to trap INSERT (45) and DELETE (46) to add and to delete entries in it.

btw,
    do a search for "keycode constants" inside MSDN ...and you'll get the list of them
    "Who Dares Wins" - "Quien se Arriesga Gana"
    Mail me at: