Thread: Expert Advice Please

Addicted Member

Expert Advice Please

My program (a web page analysis application) utilizes a webbrowser control and several rich text box controls to evaluate and highlight certain keywords of a web page.

During Beta Testing on a machine with Windows 2000 Pro, various functions were interupted with error messages that appeared as follows:

Title: (Program Name) & File: "d:\nt\private\ole32\com\class\memapi.cxx"

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Never tie a rock to your ankle while randomly selecting stones to throw from high places.

Has this only happened once? It's also difficult to assess what's going on without code--
    Luke

Addicted Member
    Luke

Thanks for responding. I would post some code but I'm not sure which procedures or functions are causing the problem.

I can tell you that the program works perfect on other machines with Windows 98 SE and even XP.

I have several procedures that pass the contents of a richtextbox control by referance (though i do not explicitly declare the passing using ByRef).

According to Microsoft, ByRef is default, thus no need to declare as such. Conversely, ByVal must be declared.

My gut feeling is one of 3 possibilities:

1. Even though instructed otherwise, I must declare ByRef when passing object variables in procedures and functions. or...

2. I'm utilizing API calls that the system doesn't recognize.

3. I should be passing the object variables ByVal
    Last edited by EZapps; Mar 21st, 2004 at 03:39 AM.
    Never tie a rock to your ankle while randomly selecting stones to throw from high places.

Addicted Member
    OH! One more thing! This is confusing... the title of the error message is "d:\nt\private\ole32\com\class\memapi.cxx"

The "d:\" on this machine is a CD which was empty at the time of error.

Please don't blame me for being stupid. I've worked on this attribute for years.