dcsimg

Thread: Where to go?

Where to go?

To put it plain and simple:

I HATE MY JOB!

Currently I am a cabinetmaker. I am very interested in programming and would like a job in that field. I've ben playing around with vb.net and c++ for about three years now. I also wrote two apps for the current company I work for, so needless to say I do have some background in programming.
    The only problem is I don't know where to start. Do I go back to school and get a B.S.? Do I train myself, then take the tests to become .net certified? Which, if any of the above is going to help me land the job that I've always wanted?

Any feedback would be great!!

More golf, seems to help me.

Seriously, I'd try tapping into my friends to see if they know anyone that can get you in somewhere. Then just blow them away in the interview with your personality. Companies are always looking for good employees. You just need to get a foot in the interview door. It's how I got both of my job offers without a degree.
    Place Your VBForums Ad Here

Addicted Member
    depends on your age. If you are < 25 going back to uni could be an idea. Otherwise i would be inclined to keep plugging away at the occasional application for your company , raising your IT profile as you go.

My opinion is that certs are only useful in conjunction with real-world experience. Since you are getting at least some commercial programming exp certs MIGHT help you out but making yourself available for every little computing project would be a better start IMO.

funny...i wish i was a cabinetmaker

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar
    Unfortunately this is a pretty bad time to be looking for work as a programmer. I think your best bet would be to go to the manager (or whoever knows your programming work) of your current company and ask how you can get an opportunity to write more apps for the company. Make a case that it would benefit him/them/the company.

Originally posted by MartinLiss
    Unfortunately this is a pretty bad time to be looking for work as a programmer. I think your best bet would be to go to the manager (or whoever knows your programming work) of your current company and ask how you can get an opportunity to write more apps for the company. Make a case that it would benefit him/them/the company.
    I second that.

Hmmm..certifications seem a good cheap choice...of course a college degree will open some more doors...by the way whats a cabinetmaker.? it has to do with wood cabinets..if so...Im amazed you chose programming as your next step, why?

Hyperactive Member
    I went to college with a guy who also used to be a cabinetmaker and traded in his chisel for a keyboard in his mid thirties.

Similar skillsets involved like attention to detail and creativity.

I go for certifications!
    Mudfish AKA Bowfin
    I can spell "If" all day right, just a coder!

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemingway

Member of the ECCC

I agree with martin. Try to get your foot in the IT door at your current company. If that fails then try school, either a university or tech. school. Experience is about the only way to get in anymore. Alot of companies just don't want to take the time to train entry level employees.

As far as certifications go, they are just the cherry on top of everything else. But having just a certification won't get you a job. You have to have training and experience first.
    Being educated does not make you intelligent.

Need a weekend getaway??? Come Visit