Thread: Tutorial [Snake using Picture boxes] NMs Game tutorial 0.4

Threaded View

Tutorial [Snake using Picture boxes] NMs Game tutorial 0.4

This is a tutorial on how to make a basic snake game. There is plenty of ways to complete such a task. I have chosen to start off with probably one of the simplest ways I can imagine, so if you are new to games programming in VB, this is a great tutorial for you. So I think we should just jump in to it. I am using VB6 in this example. But VB 5 should do fine too. To make this game you should know a little bit about VB from before. I am using simple collision detection, and key presses, and a module. If you don't know at all how to use this from before you should try to read about it before starting. I will try to make some tutorials on the subject soon but for now this is all I got.

Setting form properties:

When making games it is always easier to handle the coordinates of the screen in pixels than twips (twips is the default one). So start by changing the ScaleMode property of the form to Pixels. And if you don't know it from before, it is nice to know that in VB the coordinates of your form is (0,0) in the upper left corner. It is not easy to think this way of the coordinate system at once, but you will get used to it.
    Last edited by si_the_geek; Feb 27th, 2004 at 12:41 PM.