Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VB-Disable Ctrl Alt Del in XP, Hide TaskBar, Disable Windows keys

Re: VB-Disable Ctrl Alt Del in XP, Hide TaskBar, Disable Windows keys

Quote Originally Posted by Runesmith View Post
    Does anyone with VB6 happen to have a published build of the dll? I can't compile this project on VB.net 2008 as the conversion is a herculean task.
    If I had more time I'd walk you through it, but honestly, since having found pinvoke.net, there really is no need to copy someone else's source for this. Just go there and look at the listing under "user32" and you'll find every command and function you can dream of with updates as to what does and doesn't work and plenty of examples.

Quote Originally Posted by spyk3 View Post
    If I had more time I'd walk you through it, but honestly, since having found pinvoke.net, there really is no need to copy someone else's source for this. Just go there and look at the listing under "user32" and you'll find every command and function you can dream of with updates as to what does and doesn't work and plenty of examples.
    You mean, you have actually managed to write a global keyboard hook in VB.net? Most of the references I've looked up just tell me to forget it and use eventVB.
    Runesmith

The key to getting the right answer is asking the right question

I just realized: good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die

Gimmie some time this weekend, and i'll try to clean up a class i made for my company (remove company service references and key server class references) and i'll try to get a post back on here of my class for it. Although, I should warn, in doing it through dotNet, there extreme limitations and headaches to deal with, but once you have a proper class in place, the speed and difference between a .net reference to a global hook, and C++ reference are unnoticeable. Other sights and such tell you to avoid it, because it is a headache and is not fully implemented ... yet. Of course, always remember, the point of dotnet, be it vb or c# is to help get more people moving away from "hard coding" and more into simplified "oop". Thus, spite what critics say, microsoft is constantly on the move, (much documentation can be found on MS MVP sites referencing things of "this thread's" nature) and looking to implement all possible requirements of "hard code" into an easy to read and use compilation. In other words, never count dotNet out for anything, and expect these types of classes to actually be available as "prewritten" classes in the future.

What a long thread!
    I am using VB 2005 to create a system lock.
    I am running Windows 7, but need to app to work on xp as well.
    The .dll above downloaded, but I can't get it to do anything or find the Reference to add to my project.

I have managed to disable/hide the desktop, taskbar, & clock, but the code I have doesn't work to hide/disable the Start button. It seems all the code I find is for VB below or above 2005 (if even for VB). Very frustrating.

I also need to find out how to use Bluetooth with or without "InTheHand" to lock/unlock the PC based on the proximity of my phone.
    Anyone who does not wonder, is either omnipotent or a fool.
    Amerigoware <<<My Projects

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amerigo View Post
    What a long thread!
    I am using VB 2005 to create a system lock.
    I am running Windows 7, but need to app to work on xp as well.
    The .dll above downloaded, but I can't get it to do anything or find the Reference to add to my project.

I have managed to disable/hide the desktop, taskbar, & clock, but the code I have doesn't work to hide/disable the Start button. It seems all the code I find is for VB below or above 2005 (if even for VB). Very frustrating.

I also need to find out how to use Bluetooth with or without "InTheHand" to lock/unlock the PC based on the proximity of my phone.
    were you able to block ALT-TAB / ALT-ESC / ALT-F4?

No, I wasn't. I used a different code to lock the desktop as such.
    Nothing I've tried will lock the keys. I am unable to integrate this .dll into my program either because I don't know how, or it's not compatible with vb2005

Hyperactive Member

that's my problem too. would you care to share how you worked around locking the desktop? the technique discussed here would no longer work in Windows 7.

http://www.a1vbcode.com/app-5005.asp
    It doesn't hide/disable the start button at all. Change "ShowWindow(CInt(TaskbarWnd), 0)" to " ShowWindow(TaskbarWnd, 0)" to get the taskbar to disappear in Windows 7.

--Hide TaskBar(only)

This will remove the taskbar graphic from the users screen.
    It will not be displayed until you show it.
    If the user presses the
    Windows key, it will show the StartMenu,
    but this can be fixed, as shown in the next example.

Search msdn or AllApi.net for the API calls used and not defined.

VB Code:
    Private Sub ToggleTaskBar()
    Dim TaskBarWnd As Long

TaskBarWnd = FindWindow("Shell_TrayWnd", vbNullString)
    If IsWindowVisible(TaskBarWnd) Then
    Call ShowWindow(TaskBarWnd, SW_HIDE)
    Else
    Call ShowWindow(TaskBarWnd, SW_SHOW)
    End If
    End Sub

Maybe i am doing something wrong but i could use somehelp. I am not a computer expert but i want some code to hide the taskbar. I put that into a .api file and run it but get a message saying "windows cant find anything to run this with" So my question is do i need something extra to run it, and if so could u name it or even better link it

Im n visual basics 2010 and get the following errors:

WH_KEYBOARD_LL
    HOOK_GLOBAL
    vbKeyTab
    vbKeyEscape
    vbKeyEscape

Anyone know whats going on?

Quote Originally Posted by DaleVB View Post
    Im n visual basics 2010 and get the following errors:

WH_KEYBOARD_LL
    HOOK_GLOBAL
    vbKeyTab
    vbKeyEscape
    vbKeyEscape

Anyone know whats going on?
    You are using the wrong version! This is VB6 code not .Net code. You can probably find the .Net equivalent of the above code by searching either the VB.Net section or VB.Net code bank here on vbforums.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

hey! is it compatible in visual studion 2008??

Quote Originally Posted by thosethingy View Post
    hey! is it compatible in visual studion 2008??
    As stated in the post above yours is the VB6 section. You can use VB6 in .NET although, the best option would be to rewrite the function in VB.NET see post #4 here for more.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

thanks a lot

Hi,

In your code for this, you have the variables (or are they constants?):

WH_KEYBOARD_LL, HOOK_GLOBAL

Can someone please explain where they are supposed to be declared and what they're supposed to be declared as?

Thanks,
    Gulliver.

Re: Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by vbNeo View Post
    What would you acomplish by disabling native windows shortcuts except disabling the user? I could only see this being used for virus development - in which case it's setting a bad 'example' to have in the codebank... Just my two cents.

Cheers!
    Well for one, I have most definitely a perfect use that is "appropriate" My teacher wants to write a program that will disable the user during a certain time, and renabling after a certain time. Its to prevents the other students from using the computer during cleaning. Of course, I will set a password that me or the teacher can enter if someone has to use it. Are you saying this is inappropriate?

Thank you for providing this tutorial, I've been trying to make the program fail proof.

Thanks 4 this code. Really helped me control the users at my work place. (( PROGRAMMER SALUTE TO YOU))

Just took out the ctrl button from the keyboard and problem solved . Just kidding, programmer need some joke sometimes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12