Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advertisement threads? What's next ?

PowerPoster

Advertisement threads? What's next ?

When did Microsoft start running this Website? Now it's all about advertisements.

Remeber the good ole days of vb questions and code?
    Remaining quiet down here !!!

BRAD HAS GIVEN ME THE ULTIMATIVE. I have chosen to stay....

I guess we cant complain about regular users spamming the forums with ads anymore!

Stack Overflow
    See the features of Visual Studio 2010 and C# 4.0: The 10-4 show on Channel9

PowerPoster

Well

Originally posted by Cander
    I guess we cant complain about regular users spamming the forums with ads anymore!

That's my point. Many times I have fleamed for KMAIL advertisement, because I thought that was the theme of this forum (NO ADS). But now, the GODS are bending their rules. So can we now advertise our products?

I am going to post ***** enlargement ads!
    Stack Overflow
    See the features of Visual Studio 2010 and C# 4.0: The 10-4 show on Channel9

Didn't kmail get banned for this?
    This sucks. Dell ad posts in all forums and locked!
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

PowerPoster

Well

Originally posted by RobDog888
    Didn't kmail get banned for this?
    This sucks. Dell ad posts in all forums and locked!
    The do as I say, not as I do mentality....

This use to be such a good forum, and personallly I don't mind the ads. But when policy dictates that this IS NOT an ad site, and then you see them everywhere....

It's a sad day for VbForums...

Did you notice that Dell Deals is a Super Moderator!
    I say we all send emails and private messages to Dell Deals
    protesting the ads!

VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

PowerPoster

Well

protesting the ads!

I tried but got 404 error.

protesting the ads!

They're already into Jupitermedia's pocket. Even if the emails / pm's did get throught, they wouldn't even be read.

I agree, the ads didn't bother me, spam posts are beyond ridiculous.

Originally posted by MartinLiss
    What Dell stuff are you guys talking about?
    Are you serious, Marty? Take a look at the sticky topic in just about every forum.

OMG!!!

Come on Martin... how can you miss them? It's the bloody annoying thread at the top of the forums.

General PC thread now has a sticky thread used only for Dell advertising. It's an insult.

I post an advert, and I get moaned at in a PM.... Dell pay x amount, and take over.

Originally posted by MartinLiss
    What Dell stuff are you guys talking about?
    I believe the thread reading :

Get Exclusive Technology Deals! Subscribe to Dell E-mail Updates Today and Start Saving!
    Haven't you noticed? It's stickied in thr general forum

Has someone helped you? Then you can Rate their helpful post.

The top post in VB General forum and perhaps some others ...
    It's really disgusting. I might be wrong but I belive I've seen a thread named "I'm outta here...". Don't recall who originated that topic (if it was here at all) but I guess he/she was right on the money smelling all these spams in advance.
    McGenius

Please dont take this as a slap in the face...

But all existing moderators of VBF are being added to our forums... no questions asked.

I know all you mods have done a far better job than most... but as i said before... that "dell" crap was the final straw.

As soon as your registered... your member status will be modified on next logon. Please welcome Sastraxi to the "mod team". Although he wasn't an existing mod... i have read several posts, and trust he is more than able to do the job.

Cheers...

forum link is at the bottom >>

Fanatic Member RealisticGraphics's Avatar
    This is what the banner's are for, generating money! Some people actual come into these forums to try and help people with their questions. I don't know about a lot you, but I generally only have time to read over the newest topics on the first page... If there is a sticky ad at the top, that just pushes a person in need one more question down the line.

Martin, I hope that you voice is a loud one. Because I can bet that if the one gets to stay, then another will and other. That's just the way things usually work. Before you know it, VBForums becomes nothing but a Billboard that people stop looking at.
    www.RealisticGraphics.net

Running VS.Net Enterprise & VB 6

Other Languages: JavaScript, VBScript, VBA, HTML, CSS, ASP, SQL, XML

MSN Messenger: kmsheff

Frenzied Member
    I agree. and if you click on that link it opens another popup. how did they get out of the thread?

on the other side of things, DELLS SUCK. everyone knows that....

also goes along with the otehr thread were everyones profile got messed up and only a selected few was brought back, so it seems that they don't care about the users anymore...

PowerPoster
    ROFL

I tried to click into that damned thing to report it ... (little did I know).

This type of advertising is definitely over the line. I'm sure a lot of folks will find another place to hang out if that keeps up.

Re: Well

Originally posted by James Stanich
    The do as I say, not as I do mentality....

This use to be such a good forum, and personallly I don't mind the ads. But when policy dictates that this IS NOT an ad site, and then you see them everywhere....

It's a sad day for VbForums...
    Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.
    There is no point in overreacting .... I do not like Ads either, but **** happens. Trust me, this is still the best forum i've seen.
    Last edited by techyspecy; May 30th, 2003 at 08:24 PM.

Mr. Specy.
    You are a Youngin!

This is NOT something that VBForums should do.
    It is WAY OTL!
    What are you, a Toady??

Really, Fake threads are truly Low Class, and VBF, if this is what they're going to do, should R.I.H.!

Originally posted by McGenius
    ... I might be wrong but I belive I've seen a thread named "I'm outta here..."...
    Found it. Guys, read it !!! Below is direct link:
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...hreadid=216302
    McGenius

Originally posted by NotLKH
    Mr. Specy.
    You are a Youngin!

It is WAY OTL!
    What are you, a Toady??

Really, Fake threads are truly Low Class, and VBF, if this is what they're going to do, should R.I.H.!

Indeed, man, indeed. I absolutely agreed. If this stuff will continue I will switch over to www.GALAHTECH.com About 5-6 months ago many guys did that already.
    McGenius

Galahtech

hey about galahtech, is it in any way more 'smart' than this forum? i signed up over there, but im afraid to post because i feel like everyone there is asking hard questions, and that the mods will just delete my question or something along that line.

To tell the truth I was annoyed by the ads at first, but now I just look over them, I scroll right passed not even paying attention to them. What I don't think I'll be able to get over is that I'll have to see that Dell add every time I want to view the posts.

You're kidding, aren't you? Galahtech is relatively new but has been supported at very high level. So, regardless of a question most of them will be answered (sooner or later) - that's what forums are for. I'm not sure about how do they advertise themselves but number of users is growing wich is agood sign.
    McGenius

Actually, When I signed up I got a little paranoid because I thought only the really good programmers were signing up, and I'm not what would be called a good programmer, so I thought it might have been some kind of place for the pros to get help. But it was my mistake. I'll still be over at these forums just because there are way more things to learn from (only from age).

Hey there Mushroom Realm and anyone else with a similar concern about galahtech... just to clarify what we are about:

galahtech is a totally free resource available to any programmer or newbie, it is staffed by some heavy hitters.. there is real talent on the board.. but do not feel uncomfortable about posting newbie questions, everyone is more than willing to help you out, no matter what the level of expertise!.. In fact most people on staff love to give assistance.. that is why they are there

For the record.. galahtech is a totally private project, there is no hidden agenda.. we are not in it for the potential money advertising can generate.. galahtech is totally funded by jethro and myself, as a alternative to the growing "corporatisation" of technical help forums.

Come over and enjoy a totally ad free exchange of ideas and help!

I can promise you that you will never be flamed by a member of staff.. or indeed any one else.. we won't tolerate it

Hope to see you over there sometime and spread the word.. coz we are paying for it ourselves.. and can't afford fancy schmancy advertising all over the place

Retired VBF Adm1nistrator plenderj's Avatar
    Originally posted by Mushroom Realm
    Actually, When I signed up I got a little paranoid because I thought only the really good programmers were signing up, and I'm not what would be called a good programmer, so I thought it might have been some kind of place for the pros to get help. But it was my mistake. I'll still be over at these forums just because there are way more things to learn from (only from age).
    Initially the Galah.net forum was setup during the transition of this site from Jelsoft (ie. John, and the original people who set it up) to Whitecliff (ie. Karl Moore).
    There was a horrendous amount of downtime, so a lot of users went to nxsupport.net and what not.
    Dragonfly and Jello setup Galah.net then, and a lot of members left the site here too.
    Oh also because of Jesus4u's religious spamming and what not.

Then GalahTech was setup after Galah.net to serve, I suppose, as an alternative to this site.
    Many of the VBF GenVB members left here to goto that site.

Subsequently, that has left GenVB here with fewer regulars and many many new users in comparison, and GalahTech with lots of brilliant programmers, but very few new users.
    Microsoft MVP : Visual Developer - Visual Basic [2004-2005]

Retired VBF Adm1nistrator plenderj's Avatar
    Regarding the Dell Deals Ads, like Martin said, none of us are happy about it. We are voicing our concerns over this.
    Microsoft MVP : Visual Developer - Visual Basic [2004-2005]

The reality is that Jupitermedia are an advertising company.. that is how they make thier revenue... obviously they will use any and all means to create additional revenue via advertising.. if this means posting fake or compromising threads.. then so be it.

Personally I find that approach to be highly undesirable.. as do a lot of people.. which is specifically why we started galahtech.

I do genuinely feel very sorry for all of the great mods and people who have spent years devoted to this site.. coz now their goodwill and support is being completely sold out to generate additional profits for jupitermedia.

Just when I was starting to get used to the ads....

Originally posted by NotLKH
    Mr. Specy.
    You are a Youngin!

It is WAY OTL!
    What are you, a Toady??

What is limit anyway ?
    If you're serious about coming here and participating in educational topics, you wouldn't even notice all that stuff. What are you, a politician ?

As far as GALAH goes, any and everybody is free to go there, you do not need a reason to switch from VB forum. Like the moderators said, they voiced there dissapproval, what else can they do ? Or what else can you do ?

Fanatic Member RealisticGraphics's Avatar
    We can B!tch and moan

Make us feel better
    www.RealisticGraphics.net

Running VS.Net Enterprise & VB 6

Other Languages: JavaScript, VBScript, VBA, HTML, CSS, ASP, SQL, XML

MSN Messenger: kmsheff

Originally posted by RealisticGraphics
    We can B!tch and moan

Make us feel better

Re: Galahtech

Originally posted by Mushroom Realm
    but im afraid to post because i feel like everyone there is asking hard questions, and that the mods will just delete my question or something along that line.
    Certainly galahtech mods would not delete a post without real cause, and definitely not for being a newbie question. In fact, if a post is deleted, the mod would PM you and tell you why, not just leave you hanging.

I'm glad people are making money off my helping other people. It's like your neighbor getting paid for you going to work. Great concept.
    My evil laugh has a squeak in it.

kristopherwilson.com

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar
    hey didnt that dell dude get arrested for pot?? does that mean that VBForums and JupiterMedia promote and condone the use of illegal drugs??? it must be so... this might as well be crackforums.com

Hey DragonFly, GalahTech won't let me post anything. It says I don't have permission. What should I do?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast