Thread: copying vbcode from posts

PowerPoster

copying vbcode from posts

if you get annoyed at the line numbering in the vbcode boxes when copying to paste elsewhere

vb Code:
    1. Sub Main()
    2. Dim myarr() As String
    3. myarr = Split(Clipboard.GetText, vbNewLine)
    4. For i = UBound(myarr) To 0 Step -1
    5.     If IsNumeric(myarr(i)) Then myarr(i) = ""
    6. Next
    7. Clipboard.Clear
    8. Clipboard.SetText Replace(Join(myarr, vbNewLine), vbLf & vbCr, "")
    9. End Sub
    make a project with the above code (no form needed) and compile
    copy from the post
    run program (nothing visible happens)
    paste into whatever code window
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Re: copying vbcode from posts

dam thats a good idea, sick to death of the rsi-deleting needed when using posted code!

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Moved to the CodeBank

You don't need to do any deleting or formatting.

If you want a piece of highlighted code, click the quote button. The post you are "quoting" will be displayed in plain text. Just copy the code and then cancel out of the quote.

true.. but doing it that way you get stuck with place holders you need to remove, westconn1s way has none .. guess it depends on how lazy you are.. and I am lol

What place holders?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

HIGHLIGHT and QUOTE and all the [ and ] bits

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Oh please, you don't copy those, you just copy what is in between them.

Down to preference then, I prefer the code way, saves me clicking off the post too

PowerPoster

Si_the_geek's VBCode program works even faster. Highlight the code you want to copy and copy it with Alt-C. (I have the program running on startup.)
    The most difficult part of developing a program is understanding the problem.
    The second most difficult part is deciding how you're going to solve the problem.
    Actually writing the program (translating your solution into some computer language) is the easiest part.

Please indent your code and use [HIGHLIGHT="VB"] [/HIGHLIGHT] tags around it to make it easier to read.

Please Help Us To Save Ana

Actually it isn't mine, it's Marty's:
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=458328
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=458438

(I personally use the Quote & copy method)

Nice and simple westconn1!
    Just needed to add, dim i as...

Fanatic Member

Why not just have the forum guys fix the problem. Take those line numbers out. What is the point of them anyway? We used to be able to copy and past code from the forum with no problems.

It's not as simple as that unfortunately - the current version of the forum software does not support our our old highlighting method, and there aren't options for how the current one works.

The current method is a decent replacement, even with this relatively minor issue. The development team had various issues to deal with here when we upgraded, and finding/implementing that highlighter was more than they were required to do (they could have just left us with Code tags). As they work on multiple sites (including about 30 forums) which have their own issues, something like this isn't at the top of their list.

There is work in progress to modify the highlighter to deal with the line numbers (and other minor issues such as colours), but as it not overly simple, and is being done by a moderator (thus voluntarily), it is not something which will happen immediately - but hopefully will be complete in the near future..

Fanatic Member

I can understand that. This looks like VBulletin forum software. I primarily use PHP forum software which is open source and customizable..but does have draw backs. Perhaps the VBulletin folks can address the issue. It is a big deal in particular for this forum in which programmers indeed like and need to cut and paste code samples quite frequently. That is just my 2 cents. This has always been a great forum...so don't take this as a complaint in a broad regard.

Thanks!

It is vBulletin (see the section at the bottom of the page), and it is customisable.. which is why the syntax highlighter (provided by someone else) is available. The issue is with the flexibility of the highlighter, rather than the forums software itself.

The problem is that while language specific code tags are certainly useful to us, they are not essential (as the standard Code tags could be used - like on many other sites). As such they are not a top priority for the team who keep this site (and several others) operational; we were lucky they did as much as they have done - as they weren't required to do it.

I understand and agree that the current issues are annoying, but they are not a "must fix", as there are various workarounds like the ones above.

As I said tho, the implementation is being "corrected" by a volunteer (who has lots of relevant knowledge/experience in this area), and will be hopefully be updated fairly soon.

Pressing [QUOTE] and copy/paste works well, thanks!
    Nobody knows what software they want until after you've delivered what they originally asked for.

Don't solve problems which don't exist.

"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe." --- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

2 idiots don't make a genius.