Thread: VB.NET : How to simulate (movenext, moveprevious ..etc) in ADO.NET

Sleep mode

VB.NET : How to simulate (movenext, moveprevious ..etc) in ADO.NET

Since they are no longer used in ADO.NET , this shows you how to simulate (move next, move previous , move fist , move last) in ADO.NET

enjoy !
    Attached Files Attached Files

You are trying to re-invent the wheel here. Check out the CurrencyManager object.

Sleep mode
    Originally posted by Lethal
    You are trying to re-invent the wheel here. Check out the CurrencyManager object.
    No , I'm not . CurrencyManager is a Data Binding object but the method I implemented uses no Binding objects . Data Binding is hell

Sleep mode
    Sorry guys if you find the demo buggy but I really didn't have time to update it . It does work though .

Frenzied Member

Thumbs up

Great example. If you have more, please post!
    I'll Be Back!

T-1000

Microsoft .Net 2005
    Microsoft Visual Basic 6
    Prefer using API

Re: VB.NET : How to simulate (movenext, moveprevious ..etc) in ADO.NET

hmmm
    i just created a class which has an embedded binding component and then created the movenext moveback movelast functions...works just like it did in vb6.
    now if i can only get the update command to autobuild update statements for left joined queries...(which is another reason why ado.net is a giant step back if you use common sense..).The people responsible for this (delphi programmers i heard...) must have been on crack when they developed ado.net.
    The whole logic behind it is flawed and doesn't save time AT ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate
    No , I'm not . CurrencyManager is a Data Binding object but the method I implemented uses no Binding objects . Data Binding is hell
    Actualy that's a mythconception in .NET.... databinding in .NET is FAR superior databinding in previous eras. I've done it a number of times now and it is so freakin easy and stabler than it ever used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Looooooka
    hmmm
    i just created a class which has an embedded binding component and then created the movenext moveback movelast functions...works just like it did in vb6.
    now if i can only get the update command to autobuild update statements for left joined queries...(which is another reason why ado.net is a giant step back if you use common sense..).The people responsible for this (delphi programmers i heard...) must have been on crack when they developed ado.net.
    The whole logic behind it is flawed and doesn't save time AT ALL.
    Again, Eh? What kind of queries are you building that it can't update? If it can't properly build the update query from your select then, 1) the database design needs to be looked at, or 2) You can build the UPDATE yourself.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Red face Re: VB.NET : How to simulate (movenext, moveprevious ..etc) in ADO.NET

techgnome
    the database design is not the problem.it's flawless

But(btw we're using visual studio 2005) let's say you LEFT join 2 tables.

Select tableone.*,tabletwo.magicfield FROM tableone LEFT JOIN tabletwo ON tableone.id=tabletwo.oid

Now i'm not really expecting the update builder to be smart enough to create an insert statement for this sort of result because it's impossible...but a bloody update statement should be built by itself.
    The ado from VB6 could update this with no problems.

and no i do not want to build the update statement by myself since :
    a)this will take time for no good reason and give microsoft the idea that ado.net was an improvement
    b)we're actually using a lot of dynamic fields(the user can move and play with fields a lot)

So if you know if this can be done somehow magically with the use of the commandbuilder(which works beautifully in a single table query) i would be jumping up and down with joy.

I'm googling right now if there's an alternative ado.net component out there and hmm the once that MIGHT be able to do this cost around 2000$ plus i'm not really sure they can do the job.
    But since i'm not really keen on the idea of spending the rest of my VB days writing delete update and delete statements for such a trivial thing as a simple left join I'm still hopeful that there's a way out of this.
    I'll probably make a post on this here because this is really out of the current topic .

But if you have a solution i'm all ears and i'll take every last word back.
    (but i'm pretty sure the solution will involve 20 lines of updatebuilder code).
    Last edited by Looooooka; Jun 28th, 2006 at 03:27 PM.

Thumbs up Re: VB.NET : How to simulate (movenext, moveprevious ..etc) in ADO.NET

I've more accurate version of Pirate's program Using BindingContext. You need not maintain the value of counter while moving to records.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Hack; Apr 24th, 2010 at 06:15 AM.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Madan.76 View Post
    I've more accurate version of Pirate's program Using BindingContext. You need not maintain the value of counter while moving to records.
    Thank you for your CodeBank submission.

Per this CodeBank policy, I have edited your attachment and removed all compiled code.

We welcome and appreciate all entries into our Codebank, but ask that source code only be included with anything attached.

Thank you.