dcsimg

Thread: "Failed to activate control 'VB.UserControl'" error (resolved)

Fanatic Member

"Failed to activate control 'VB.UserControl'" error (resolved)

ok, i know i was the one that messed it up in the first place, but now i have to get rid of it.

in the previous builds of my application, the ocx components that i wrote for it were set for 'project compatibility'. i made some builds and did some installations, uninstallations and reinstallations on a couple of machines, and it was ok. somewhere along the lines, i switched the ocx projects to binary compatibility. i uninstalled again the former version and installed the new one. surprise... when the application starts, i get this error message:
    Failed to activate control 'VB.UserControl'. This control is incompatible with your application. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.
    (and of course, the nice microsoft single OK button, that forces me to accept that things are OK.) however, the same package installs properely on machines that have a fresh OS installed, and even on machines that had installed builds of my application later than the build where i switched the compatibility type.

i assume that an old version of one of my ocx'es could not be uninstalled properely, and it's sitting somewhere claiming that it has a higher version number than the one i try to overwrite it with, but i dont know where this information is stored, how safe would it be to manually remove it, and which is the ocx that has this problem. can anybody help pls. thanks.

(of course, one of the machines that i had one of the incipient installs is my boss' computer, so you have to understnd that this MUST work and HAS to be fixed FAST )
    Last edited by radum; Apr 11th, 2003 at 12:57 PM.
    there are 2 reasons why i leave my work unfinished:
    (1) i'm getting old.

PowerPoster
    Before doing it manually, have you tried RegClean. In order to get rid of the registry settings properly, you must delete the OCX files, before running RegClean.

Uninstall the OCX files.
    Delete the OCX files.
    Run RegClean

Manually, search the Registry for your OCX name and delete any keys it finds. The usual places in the HKEY_Classes_Root are CLSID, TypeLib, AppId

Fanatic Member
    got it, it worked. looks like i had one ocx that got lost from the uninstall information (?? how?? doesnt matter anymore). i unregistered it and deleted it from the client hard drive and the new install worked. thanks!
    there are 2 reasons why i leave my work unfinished:
    (1) i'm getting old.