Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VB - Using SaveSetting and GetSetting to store and retrieve data from the Registry

Addicted Member

Re: VB - Using SaveSetting and GetSetting to store and retrieve data from the Registr

Quote Originally Posted by MartinLiss
    No, but you can use any one of several encryption/decryption methods to protect the data.
    may i ask if u can point me to these methods?

Addicted Member

Re: VB - Using SaveSetting and GetSetting to store and retrieve data from the Registry

like what should i search for? encryption ect...?

Re: VB - Using SaveSetting and GetSetting to store and retrieve data from the Registry

Quote Originally Posted by MartinLiss
    encrypt or encryption would certainly seem to be good choices.
    heh, you're killing me over here.

I'm confused by this whole thread. I thought the code base was for finished solutions. Why devote a thread to standard VB functions? It seems about as useful as devoting a thread to the InStr() function.

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

You are thinking of the Utility Bank. The Code Bank is for useful snippets of code. If you want to continue this discussion please either post in Forum Feedback or PM me.

It seems to me that you are using different application names in GetSetting and SaveSetting functions-

SaveSetting App.EXEName, "checkboxes\frmTestAdvanced", "chkAudit", chkAudit.Value

and

GetSetting("TestSummitSvr", "checkboxes\frmTestAdvanced", "chkAudit", vbUnchecked)

I don't know the full logic of your program, but if this is true then you are not reading from the same location in regisrty as you are writing to, unless the App.EXEName is "TestSummitSvr"

Quote Originally Posted by draven2kg
    The following code is in a class module in a dll :

I have a dll that makes a call to get a checkboxes value from my registry.
    However i keep getting a 0 which i think is the default value or a vbUnchecked value. What am i doing wrong?

visual basic code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Public Function GetAuditValue() As Variant

Dim AValue As Variant

AValue = GetSetting("TestSummitSvr", "checkboxes\frmTestAdvanced", "chkAudit", vbUnchecked)

Dim fso2, txtfile2

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set txtfile = fso.OpenTextFile("C:\test\testfile2.txt", 8, True)

txtfile.WriteLine AValue
    txtfile.Close

GetAuditValue = AValue

End Function--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This prints a 0 to my text file even though the key in my registry is a 1

The codes below are in an exe on a form that has a check box that i have to save and get the settings from registry.

visual basic code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Private Sub cbOK_Click()

SaveSetting App.EXEName, "checkboxes\frmTestAdvanced", "chkAudit", chkAudit.Value

End Sub--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use this code to get the checkboxes registry value when form loads from registry....
    visual basic code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Private Sub Form_Load()

chkAudit.Value = GetSetting(App.EXEName, "checkboxes\frmTestAdvanced", "chkAudit", vbUnchecked)

End Sub

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a slight change.

You can use this information for checkboxes too ...just use you'r mind...

This is how i did it ...

There is a TextBox called Text1 on my form and it is invisible ... and there is a checkbox and a timer (value = 10)

And this is the code :

Code:
    Private Sub Check1_Click()
    If Check1.Value = 0 Then Text1.Text = "UnChecked"
    If Check1.Value = 1 Then Text1.Text = "Checked"
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
    Text1.Text = GetSetting(App.EXEName, "textboxes", "text1", "")

End Sub

Private Sub Form_Unload(Cancel As Integer)
    SaveSetting App.EXEName, "textboxes", "text1", Text1.Text
    End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
    If Text1.Text = "Checked" Then Check1.Value = 1
    Timer1.Enabled = False
    End Sub

P.S

Anyone knowes how can i save the content of a listbox in registry ??

Sure. Loop through the entries saving them to a string separated by something that's not likely to be in any of them like "||" and then write that string to the registry. When you want to restore them use Split on what GetSetting returns.

Hi!

This is really useful, thanks!

My question is, how can i make if statement on loading that checks if this value is already saved?

I want to do something like this

If SOMETHING THAT CHECKS IF VALUE IS SAVED <> "" Then
    Command1.enabled = false
    Else
    End If

Basicly i want to check that if value is already saved then disable save button...

Regards

As I mentioned in post#1, the 4th parameter of GetSetting is the default so you could do this.

Code:
    If GetSetting(App.EXEName, "textboxes", "text1", "") <> "" Then
        Command1.enabled = false
    End If

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12