Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VBWTool Utility - Now with "Highlight" function

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

VBWTool Utility - Now with "Highlight" function

It's come to my attention that many of you may not be aware of the VB Forums Tag Editing Tools originally written by user G.Kumaraguru. It allows you to do a lot of really useful things involved with editing a post. Here is a picture of what you get when you right-click on highlighted text after installing the app.

Updated 05/09/2006The installation of the tool is now much simpler. All you need to do is to download the attached zip file, unpack the enclosed exe and run it. This exe will ask you for a place to store some htm files and then it will update your computer's Registry. We have tested this process but as a precaution you might want to back up the Registry before you install. To do that run Regedit and then do File|Export.

Once you have run the exe you should close and reopen IE and that's all you need to do!

Note that if you have previously installed any of the parts of this tool then you may wind up with one or two pairs of similar menu choices when you right-click. For example if you previously installed the Strip Tabs htm file and you gave it any other name besides "StripTabs" you may now have one item which says something like "Strip Tabs" and another which says "StripTabs" and you should probably remove the former from the Registry. You can tell which is the new menu item by looking at the path in the Registry. Finally, should you decide that you want to uninstall everything just go to Control Panel|Add or Remove Programs and remove VBForums VBWTool Utility.

Kleinma created the script for this new process and I'd like to thank him for his invaluable help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wow..marty.. Didnt know that app was still around! cool.

I actually still have my VBforums browser (if you remember it from a ways back) .. Im up to v3.2 ..it has:
    -dropdown Code window with color preview (shows code like VB does)
    -ability to save/load code snippets
    -with the click of a button..it sends the code to the post window
    -a List of whos on the forums
    -a PM tool to send anyone in that list a pm
    -Locate tool to find out where that person is..
    -auto updated List of forums (in a dropdown button..so you can quickly jump from here to there)

more ive been working on...
    JPnyc rocks!! (Just ask him!)
    If u have your answer please go to the thread tools and click "Mark Thread Resolved"

I didn't close this thread because I wanted to allow people to comment on the tool (and thank me if they wanted to ), so let's try to keep it to that and not clutter it up with Chit Chat. Thanks.

Let me guess, it proly only works in IE.... am I right?
    Also, will this work in other forums, or only in VBF?
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Originally posted by techgnome
    Let me guess, it proly only works in IE.... am I right?
    Also, will this work in other forums, or only in VBF?
    I tested it over at VisualBasicForum.com and it worked over there too...but they don't have all the same code tags, so you have to be aware of it...

PS:Kleinma, I have read thru all my first Chit Chat forum post and I think I found the one that made you think of me as "iffy"..
    http://vbforums.com/showthread.php?s...ghlight=noteme

Originally posted by MartinLiss
    I'm sorry but I don't know the answer to either one of those questions. Why don't you let us know.
    Since it worked over at visualbasicforum.com it probably works on a lot of forums, and if we had the source code we could probably fix the code tags...but if this was specialy made for this forum...I can see if you want let that happend...

IE only, and yes it will work on any other vbulletin forum. In fact it works for any html text area
    Last edited by Cander; Jan 15th, 2003 at 04:21 PM.
    Stack Overflow
    See the features of Visual Studio 2010 and C# 4.0: The 10-4 show on Channel9

Originally posted by NoteMe
    Since it worked over at visualbasicforum.com it probably works on a lot of forums, and if we had the source code we could probably fix the code tags...but if this was specialy made for this forum...I can see if you want let that happend...
    You do have the source code. It is only vbscript in some html files. Look in your c:\winnt\vb-world directory

and to see how they were added to the right click menu..look at the registry

Hkey_users\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt

[Edited by MartinLiss]Note: If you use the new installation exe posted on 5/9/2006, the c:\winnt\vb-world directory path may have changed.
    Last edited by MartinLiss; May 9th, 2006 at 03:07 PM.
    Stack Overflow

Not me...this is the code for bold...

Code:
    <!--
    +---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
            VB-WORLD Forums - Tagging Scripts 1.0
            Programmed By G.Kumaraguru {Active}
                gurukumara@yahoo.com
    -->

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE = "VBScript">
    Dim oWindow,oDocument,oSelect,oSelectRange
    Set oWindow = window.external.menuArguments
    Set oSource = oWindow.event.srcElement 
    Set oDocument = oWindow.document
    Set oSelect = oDocument.selection
    Set oSelectRange = oSelect.createRange()
    If oSource.tagName = "TEXTAREA" Then
     oSelectRange.text = "" & oSelectRange.text & ""
    End If
    </SCRIPT>

I just changed the code.htm file to produce vbcode tags! That was the tool's one failing as far as I was concerned.

I can't get the strip tags to work...(I don't know what it is acctually)...

Originally posted by Cander
    You do have the source code. It is only vbscript in some html files. Look in your c:\winnt\vb-world directory

and to see how they were added to the right click menu..look at the registry

Hkey_users\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt
    In my previous post I said I had modified the code.htm file to produce vbcode tags. How would I go about changing the menu to reflect that? BTW I looked in the registry and my path to the info for the app is
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt

In my previous post I said I had modified the code.htm file to produce vbcode tags. How would I go about changing the menu to reflect that?
    Same way as fixing any MS error -- stop the app, & restart it...
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

ok..Add a new key called vbcode under MenuExt

set the Default value to the location of your vbcode.htm file

add a binary key called contexts and make it 04

voila.
    Stack Overflow

Originally posted by techgnome
    Same way as fixing any MS error -- stop the app, & restart it...
    Just to make sure we are both talking about the same thing, when I use the tool and select the Code menu item it produces vbcode tags. What I'm asking is how I change the text of the menu iten to say VBCode?

Change the key name under MenuExt from Code to VBcode
    Stack Overflow

VB Code:
    1. If you want vbcode at the top of the right-click menu Then
    2.     rename the code registry key to ' vbcode'
    3. End If

Fanatic Member RealisticGraphics's Avatar
    What a neat tool! And not to mention I learned something new about creating menus for IE. I've got a couple questions if anyone knows the answers.

1. I'm assuming Context in the registry key is referring to where that menu item should appear? If so, does anybody else know what contexts can be used to create new menus?

2. Earlier there was mention of VBForum Browser... Does anybody know where I can get that? I'd like to see it.

Again,thisisagreattool.Thankstoyouforpostingit!
    www.RealisticGraphics.net

Running VS.Net Enterprise & VB 6

Other Languages: JavaScript, VBScript, VBA, HTML, CSS, ASP, SQL, XML

MSN Messenger: kmsheff

how did you do this? I asked earlier but i didnt get a answer. Can we see some source please how do you get it to load the bold.htm to the box? i know its vb script but how ?
    - JayWare
    Live to love. Not to Hate

Im to busy to have a site. But I got one and still working on it.

http://dre3k.net/

The bold.htm contents is shown below If you have installed the program you should find the same file in the installation folder of your system drive.

<!--
    VB-WORLD Forums - Tagging Scripts 1.0
    Programmed By G.Kumaraguru {Active}
    gurukumara@yahoo.com
    -->

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE = "VBScript">
    Dim oWindow,oDocument,oSelect,oSelectRange
    Set oWindow = window.external.menuArguments
    Set oSource = oWindow.event.srcElement
    Set oDocument = oWindow.document
    Set oSelect = oDocument.selection
    Set oSelectRange = oSelect.createRange()
    If oSource.tagName = "TEXTAREA" Then
    oSelectRange.text = "" & oSelectRange.text & ""
    End If
    </SCRIPT>

The oSelectRange.text line actually looks like this in the file

oSelectRange.text = "[b]" & oSelectRange.text & "[/b]"

yes i know . but how did you get it to load into the IE? and how did yuo make that menu ? i was able to easily change the CODE to VBCODE
    - JayWare
    Live to love. Not to Hate

Im to busy to have a site. But I got one and still working on it.

http://dre3k.net/

Take a look at the following Registry key and it should answer most of your questions:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\MenuExt

PS-ISOVERYMUCHLOVETHISTOOL!!!

OK, first I didn't make the program(s) or the menu. I only know that if you look in the registry in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt

you will find references to all the items in the menu (plus others). If you look at the one for italic for example you will see that it has a key that contains the path and a key for contexts with a value of 04. You can add your VBCode htm to the menu by creating a new pair of keys that reference your code. It will show up after you restart IE if the context value is 04.

For those interested, here is a listing of the other possible binary value's for contexts to determine when the right click menu appears

Default 0x1 <-In all right click menu's in IE.
    Images 0x2 <- When right clicking on images only
    Controls 0x4 <- On html controls only.
    Tables 0x8 <- On tables only
    Text selection 0x10 <- Right clicking highlighted text
    Anchor 0x20 <- On anchor tags

and yes you can add multiple binary values together to get the menu to show up in mutiple places...So to show the menu on html controls and imaghes, the binary value you would 0x6 or 06
    Last edited by Cander; Jan 21st, 2003 at 01:02 PM.
    Stack Overflow

could someone make an install file for the one with the vbcode tag inside it because i have no idea what to do with those files in the post above my last one
    The internet is a great tool. Many people like me suffer in the real world when there are so many people with the "O he is so good looking he has no troubles, why help him out with anything" attitude.

Originally posted by stewie
    could someone make an install file for the one with the vbcode tag inside it because i have no idea what to do with those files in the post above my last one
    1. Copy the files in the post to C:\Windows\vb-world
    2. Go to your Start menu, enter regedit, and click OK
    3. Find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt
    4. Optionally click on the Quote entry and you will see what the entry for VBCode should look like
    5. Create an entry for VBCode by right-clicking on MenuExt and then selecting New|Key
    6. Name that entry VBCode
    7. Right-click on the (Default) value, select Modify and and type in C:\Windows\vb-world\VBCode.htm
    8. Right-click on the new VBCode entry and select New|Binary Value
    9. Name that entry contexts
    10. Right-click on the contexts entry, select Modify and type in 04
    11. Exit the Registry editor
    12. Close and restart VBF

you will find references to all the items in the menu (plus others). If you look at the one for italic for example you will see that it has a key that contains the path and a key for contexts with a value of 04. You can add your VBCode htm to the menu by creating a new pair of keys that reference your code. It will show up after you restart IE if the context value is 04.

Note: As of 05/09/2006 these instructions are no longer necessary.

I've commented about it some time ago, but unfortenatelly, the ZIP disappeared in one of those system's crashes: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...highlight=tool I've also stated how to create the "[vbcode][/vbcode]" insertion in that thread.... but that ZIP also disappeared
    Emiliano F. Martín

If a post has helped you then please Rate it! (and give the user points he/she deserves by clicking on the image).
    Encourage the person who helped you to keep doing it, and give him the points he deserves.

MP3 Organizer: Freeware to logically organize all your MP3s.

For those of you who care about spelling, I've cobbled together the attached client-side spell checker which can be added to the utility. It assumes that you have Word on your PC. It has code in it that should handle all versions of Word, but I've only tested it with Word 97. If you need to modify it for other Word versions please let me know what changes you made. There is also a small, optional, piece of the code that may only work on IE, but it can be easily removed.

Note: Zip file removed since as of 05/09/2006 it is no longer needed.

This seems to work really well Marty. Congrats!One thing I don't like though is that it doesn't set focus back to the browser, I'm trying to think of a way to do that. BTW - I don't know about XP but in Office 2000 you don't need to set the application to be visible. I changed it in mine and it runs a little faster since it doesn't have to draw the window.

Yeah, but I still can't figure out how to have IE gain focus again...

I updated SpellCheck.zip above to correct a small problem which occurred if all the text in the post was not selected for spell checking.

BTW, it now seems to return focus to the forum!?

Using objWindow.focus will cause the calling window to flash like it is receiving focus but it won't actually switch to the window. Anybody got any insight into this issue?

Not for me it doesn't. Are you running IE 5.5?

Here is another little htm file you can add. The tool set already has a (bulleted) list option and this file give you the ability to add a numbered list.

NiceMarty!

Just to let everyone know... Do not mistype the name of the contexts value. It will crash your windows session if you try to open IE (at least it will on Win98). I forgot the s and it was down hill from there!

Thanks.

Cander (or anyone), the option list is now pretty long and I'm wondering if it is possible to set up the registry so that it has some structure? In other words something like

VB Code:
    1. Italic
    2. Line
    3. List
    4. ---- Bullets
    5. ---- Numbers
    6. Quote
    7. Rainbow

rather than

VB Code:
    1. Italic
    2. Line
    3. List Bullets
    4. List Numbers
    5. Quote
    6. Rainbow

Here is a little "Tab" function you can use when manually typing in code. What it does is to insert 4 spaces every time it is invoked. I know it's not a true Tab and it requires two clicks of the mouse rather than one keystroke, and yes you still need to use vbcode or code tags, but it's better than nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast