dcsimg

View Poll Results: How is the idea (Read the attachment) ?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent

6 28.57%
  • Good

6 28.57%
  • OK

9 42.86%
  • Bad

0 0%
  • Complicated

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chess RPG - an RPG based Chess Game

This is the 2nd Alpha release and a merged version of individual projects made by TheSarlacc, Osiris, sql_lall & Shahid at VB Forums, optimized for speed. This version does not have Magic & Item Menu in the Battle Action Window. WHY? I have tought of a better way to show the Magic Options and the Item Sales Window is not made as yet.

There are a couple of BUGS which I don't know why they come up. There is a bug in the RUN action too, since I haven't completed the codes completely. I am sorry I got tied up with some work at home, hence work slowed down for sometime. And if you are wondering why I haven't attached the source codes, it is PMed to fellow project members.

[Edit]Attachment deleted and will be up again in 2-3 days after correcting bugs and improving things.[/Edit]
    Last edited by 007shahid; Jan 23rd, 2003 at 12:42 PM.
    THE TIME/WEATHER IS
    Don't know how to use APIs or have problem with them,
    Download API-Guide & API-Viewer from http://www.allapi.net

Here is the board.bmp if you don't have it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    THE TIME/WEATHER IS

sorry guys, i was detained by school business, i di what you
    wanted shahid, its not done, since it needs to be linked to
    player's stats, example money, if they player wants to sell
    something whatever the player has in his bag needs to be
    displayed.
    And for the Items and Weapons, tell me if thats enough, or
    you want more to be added.
    ؊Ϯϊ

Hyperactive Member

Question What's going on?

Guys, I found this thread and I think you are doing a great job. I downloaded the demo and had a play around, and have some comments to make if you don't mind....

I have played RPGs before and I know the rules of chess...also I realise this is a WIP and that some things are unfinished. My main comments concern the battle screen(s). I have to admit to not having the first clue about what is happening or how I'm actually supposed to have a battle.

The battles don't appear to be turn based, which I found a little odd...I can sit there and attack as Player 1 until my heart's content - well at least until the programme crashes. Surely battles must be turn based, you can't rely on the network speed enough to have real time battles without some sort of play-marshalling (maybe you haven't got the comms sorted out yet...)

It isn't obvious what the piece status information is showing - is it the status of the attacker or the defender? (It also sometimes appears to show the status of pieces not involved in the battle!)

Reading back a few posts shahid, I have a comment also about your battle logic. As you said yourself, your current logic has the ability to swing widely for any given piece. I'd suggest splitting each attack and defense calculation into a fixed and a random portion. By this I mean that each piece has a basic minimum attack and defense strength, modified by a random element. The random element should be some sort of statistical distribution, such that it is possible for any piece to have an attack strength of 0, but it is unlikely. It should be similarly unlikely for a piece to have a huge attack strength, but it should still be possible. By and large, the attack should vary somewhat about the fixed element.

So on average a queen will have a better attack than a pawn, but if the pawn luckily gets a high attack and the queen a low defense, the pawn might just swing it!

You could also include 'morale modifiers' for both attack and defense, based on the number and type of exponents in the battle. Stronger attacks if you attack with backup, stronger defense also if you have reinforcements. Consider the situation when, say, a queen, a bishop, a knight and a rook all attack a pawn. Perhaps the pawn should asses the situation and automatically panic and run. Perhaps the pawn will be killed while running, but perhaps not. This leads to the interesting tactical situation, when you feel you absolutely have to capture (kill) a certain piece on this move, then not to attack TOO strongly for fear the defender might run and escape...just a thought.

Dan

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Hi Judd,
    Thanks for your comments. It will really help us make this game better. The project is just about 50% complete and the battle window is not satisfactory as yet. I'll keep in mind about the invidual calculation and the morale aspect in mind. You have to however excuse the current state of the project release. It is an Alpha (Meaning - Does not work) version after all

The battle in this version starts when a piece attacks another piece. In the future, there will be an additional battle which involves a challenge.

The status shows the status of the opponent as it moves from Green - RBG(0, 255, 0) to Red - RGB(255, 0, 0). The battle ends when anyone runs or when all the pieces from either team in the battle are dead. When the action button pops up, you are supposed to choose the opponent from the drop down and then do an action on him... namely Attack (in this version)

Yes, you are also right about the bug due to network speed thing. When I test the project from the same computer, I sometimes get an error when working fast, but not when doing things slowly.

But be sure to check us again during our next release.

I also hope you have read the Project Write-Up of this project from the first post.
    THE TIME/WEATHER IS

Hi Judd,
    Thanks for your comments. It will really help us make this game better. The project is just about 50% complete and the battle window is not satisfactory as yet. I'll keep in mind about the invidual calculation and the morale aspect in mind. You have to however excuse the current state of the project release. It is an Alpha (Meaning - Does not work) version after all

The battle in this version starts when a piece attacks another piece. In the future, there will be an additional battle which involves a challenge.

The status shows the status of the opponent as it moves from Green - RBG(0, 255, 0) to Red - RGB(255, 0, 0). The battle ends when anyone runs or when all the pieces from either team in the battle are dead. When the action button pops up, you are supposed to choose the opponent from the drop down and then do an action on him... namely Attack (in this version)

Yes, you are also right about the bug due to network speed thing. When I test the project from the same computer, I sometimes get an error when working fast, but not when doing things slowly. You share the same view with 6/8... check this - I just have to make some adjustments.

But be sure to check us again during our next release.

I also hope you have read the Project Write-Up of this project from the first post.
    THE TIME/WEATHER IS

Talking 3 things...

3 quick things:

1) I have read that it can be played on one computer, but have not yet worked out how. (I know, i'm pretty stupid ) could someone just post how to play against yourself.

2) Can someone try and get this link to work:
    www23.brinkster.com/padster/programs/vbasic/expthing.zip
    It works for me, but perhaps it is an authorisation thing. If no-one can get the .zip (which is just something i made for RPGs, works out EXP levels), then i'll try moving it somewhere else.

3) Perhaps for now we could just have a VERY basic AI engine. (as in, randomly pick a legal move and do it, no matter how stupid.) I dunno, just something that can be built on.

Anyway, that's my 2c, i'll continue working on stuff. (battle engine & pawn promotion.)
    sql_lall

Hyperactive Member

Saving space

To save space, why not construct the board bitmap from bmp tiles? The tiles could be store internally as resources...

Dan

sql_lall, open two instances of the program. In one window, give Player1 and start as host, in the other, give Player2 and start as Join in multi game with Host IP 127.0.0.1

Please e-mail me the attachment. I could not download it earlier due to some error. Also I guess you have accepted the pawn promotion assignment.

Hey Judd, thanks again for another suggestion. I have already made the other modifications and have just about completed the morale thing. Please keep the suggestions coming
    THE TIME/WEATHER IS

Hyperactive Member

Lightbulb OK

Please keep the suggestions coming.
    Ok...a suggestion for an addition to the main screen - or as a new form - a status browser. So you can click on your pieces and see their stats, items, weapons, potions, etc. before you go into battle.

I don't know how separate you want to keep the chess and the RPG elements, but if you don't mind mixing them up a little, how about a magic item that allows you to view your opponents stats?
    Possibly restricted to oponents within 'attcking range'.

You could also investigate the possibility of non-battle RPG elements. For example, allow both players, once per turn (or once per piece per turn?) to engage in defensive activities - drinking healing potions, cast healing/defensive spells, etc.

Dan

im back..

just been on holidays for a week. geez im burnt like hell. damn sun!

anyways, i have a suggestion for shahid, but not sure if its a good one. although the project is called chess RPG, just for convenience, why dont we add an option to bypass any RPG elements (ie. normal chess with normal chess rules). that way, if the players want just a normal game, then they can have one.
    Get Quoted:

"If Shane Warne had given his mobile phone to Russell Crowe, neither of them would be in trouble."
    "She has more troubles than a centipede with its legs crossed."
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite Government program."

Re: OK

Originally posted by Judd
    Ok...a suggestion for an addition to the main screen - or as a new form - a status browser. So you can click on your pieces and see their stats, items, weapons, potions, etc. before you go into battle.
    This feature was already there. See the Locked text box, when the action window opens. And the magic (Peep) about seeing the others stats, that will be added to the Magic List.
    THE TIME/WEATHER IS

This is the third Alpha Version of Chess RPG. This is a better version than the previous release. A lot of bugs (newly discovered too) have been corrected, new suggestions (Judd) have been implemented and many others. There might be a couple of bugs, a long time into the game. This version still doesn't have Magic & Items menu since, I was busy correcting the Bugs and doing the other features.

Since this version uses tiles, all the files fit in one ZIP file.
    THE TIME/WEATHER IS

Here is the new updated 'TO DO List'

[EDIT]UPDATED TO-DO LIST ON THE FIRST POST[/EDIT]

sql_lall has already volunteered to do the Pawn promotion part. Any one want to do anything from the rest OR SUGGEST AND DO SOMETHING TO MAKE RPG CHESS BETTER.
    Last edited by 007shahid; Feb 5th, 2003 at 03:27 AM.
    THE TIME/WEATHER IS

Hyperactive Member

More testing

Shahid,

I've been playing with the alpha3, battles again. The turn-by-turn appears to be much better now and I can just about appreciate what is going on! However, somethings that still cause confusion:

1). Both battle screens show the stats for the same piece (e.g. White Horse). These stats never change, even as the battle progresses.

2). If a piece wins one battle but is heavily damaged (indicator is red), then they appear to be fully restored (indicator is green) when they enter another battle. Though it seems like they still have a low number of HPs (die quick in next battle). The indicator colour should be set by % of max HPs).

3). The board doesn't always update correctly after a battle (the boards get out of sync).

4). A battle outcome message in the 'commentary' window would be useful (e.g. White Horse defeats Black Pawn, or Black Pawn runs away like a sissy).

5). Is castling allowed?

6). I got into a situation where a white pawn defeated a black pawn AND a black queen because black was never given a'turn' during the battle (mind you, by this point the boards were totally out of sync). Actually, this game ended up with whoever attacked won, because the other side was never given a turn.

Dan

Talking Slight problem...

Ok, a few more things.

1) I get an error whenever i try to 'host'. A message box appears saying "Already in use". I'm not very good with Winsock, so i'm not sure what that really means, but can anyone else suggest a way to fix it so i can play against myself.

2) The Board numbering is wrong. (I.e. a1 -> h8 in wrong places). This can be resolved simply i guess, just changing the Textout() calls.

3) A few things might be better off in the module. Especially the Piece Constants. I have almost finished the pawn promotion thing, but in doing so i moved the Private Const calls (whtKing, blkPawn etc) into the module and made them public. Perhaps this would be better, and to solve the above problem, we may need Public variables storing which colour the player is. (Is the host always white??)

Oh, and the promotion thing is going well. So far, the main part is loading it with a variable In_To_Promote. When the form closes down again there is another public variable, Out_Of_Promote with the result. Once i can put in the intial call, and final calls inside the frmGame Code, and test once i can play myself, i'll post it here or give it to 007shahid
    sql_lall

OK! I'll start correcting them. This time I'll take a hell lot of time to check for bugs. I just wanted to give the source codes to the other project members.

As for Judd's new suggestions...
    1). This is because in between the battle, the amount of damage received in the other players window is not sent to our window during battles. Hence only the first status is shown. Maybe this will be available through magic.

2). This is because the color changing sub routine is not called in the beginning of the battle and only when damage done. I have corrected this.

3). Hmm... some type of bugs in a particular case. Anyone found this. Can you try to correct it also.

4). No Problem!

5). Yes. But code is not written yet.

6). Network speed bug I guess. I'll put in a timer which checks whether in a specified time, action is done or no.
    THE TIME/WEATHER IS

Talking OK

I'll try the promotion thing without actually playing.
    All i need to know is, where in the move checking/making part should i put the check whether the pawn has reached the back rank??
    Osiris, i think you did this part, is there anywhere in particual i should put it? Should it be before or after checking which pieces are attacking it, or doesn't it matter??
    sql_lall

I think you should do it through the following. In the picBoard_MouseDown() Event somewhere in between (After battle checking), there is a comment ('NORMAL MOVES). I think you should put it just before that. Just Check if the YY is 8.
    THE TIME/WEATHER IS

ooops, sorry for my absence,
    the move making part is in one of the Modules
    its called 'Rules' i think
    ؊Ϯϊ

Originally posted by Osiris
    ooops, sorry for my absence,
    the move making part is in one of the Modules
    its called 'Rules' i think
    Osiris, you haven't seen the new source codes have you. There is only 2 Moudles right now... Module.Bas & Battle.Bas. All the functions and variables with excessive scope have been shifted to Forms. The remaining (very few) have been put under one module.
    THE TIME/WEATHER IS

you're right, private Function called MovePawn under the
    'frmGame' form, had a little trouble, with the password then my
    mouse broke...
    I get the same message sql_lall was getting...

and if you need me to do something else, just let me know, k?
    ؊Ϯϊ

Originally posted by Osiris
    and if you need me to do something else, just let me know, k?
    If you are free and want to do something, just choose anything from the To-Do List (The second one).
    THE TIME/WEATHER IS

Cool
    I noticed that I'm up for Items and Weapons and
    I posted the most recent Item/Weapon Menu and asked if
    anything else should be added a while back, I was still waiting
    for feedback...
    also, I still cant run alpha3 project, a error message appears
    about an something is already in use...

what ill do
    x--see if i can add to #10 from ToDoList (battle formula)
    x--finish the 'Items/Weapons' for good(need feedback on it first
    to see what else should be added)
    x--could help out Shahid with the sprites(tell me what i should make, im kinda good with MS Paint)
    ؊Ϯϊ

x--finish the 'Items/Weapons' for good(need feedback on it first
    to see what else should be added)
    It is good. Don't worry about the items. Whatever items there is, it should function properly.

x--could help out Shahid with the sprites(tell me what i should make, im kinda good with MS Paint)
    It is on paper right now. I'll try to have it scanned and upload it. I don't have one right now.
    THE TIME/WEATHER IS

Hi,
    Just wanted you guys to know what I have been doing in the last few days. I have added castling feature. Many bugs corrected. To correct the Network Speed related bugs (like board not synchronising properly), I have introduced a TCP/IP sort of a system. i.e... the program won't continue if it doesn't get a confirmation on the sent data being received. This has corrected 2 previously known bugs (without any other change in the code). But this also gave rise to 2 more bugs (corrected). I just had to place the order of the codes differently.

sql_lall, has given me his code on pawn promotion. I am just checking it out.

I'll give you guys the latest source after some time. I want to debug extensively to find more bugs.

Anyway the TO-DO List is on the first page.
    THE TIME/WEATHER IS

Talking Great!

Wow, that really great!
    Anyway, i'm sorry if i don't come on much for a while, started Year 11 today, and cos i'm doing IB, in which the courses go for two years, i'm kinda having to do a lot of gettnig used to new subjects, new teachers, and getting way too much information about every detail of what i'm doing for the next two years

I'm sure i'll be happy later on to know what i'm being taught, but it is rather time consuming. So just letting you know that for a while i'm a little tied up, but i'm sure i'll soon get into the swing of things, and have much more time in a week or two.

Oh, and if there are any questions about the promotion thing, just send a private message here, or to my email address. I will probably look at the attack algorithm, try to make some stuff up, play around with variables
    sql_lall

OK! Last message for some time to come. My second term examinations will start on the 4th of March to the 14th. Hence I'll be studying for some time and cannot spend much time on the project. sql_lall also has study problems. Hence, I suggest we take a break for a couple of weeks. I have almost completed the magic window & item window in the battles as well as drawn the sprites for the battles. I am drawing them on a paper and having it scanned during my free time. Once my examinations are over, I have a 3 month vacation in which I'll be working on the project in full swing. The To-Do List is open for you guys to choose and work on something if you want. Till then...
    THE TIME/WEATHER IS

Talking Networking problem

Hi, just wondering if anyone has figured out how to solve the networking problem. (The error message 'Port in use' when trying to host a game)

If not, and i have free time, i'll look at some of the Battle stuff, cos i can't really finish the Promotion thing without being able to test it in-game.

Oh, if its ok i'll try to pump out various formulae into a VB form to try to see what combinations work well. Which stats should i use? (like, stamina, strength etc)
    sql_lall

Re: Networking problem

Originally posted by sql_lall
    Hi, just wondering if anyone has figured out how to solve the networking problem. (The error message 'Port in use' when trying to host a game)

If not, and i have free time, i'll look at some of the Battle stuff, cos i can't really finish the Promotion thing without being able to test it in-game.

Oh, if its ok i'll try to pump out various formulae into a VB form to try to see what combinations work well. Which stats should i use? (like, stamina, strength etc)
    I have not got the port error so far.
    As for the battle formulae, go ahead try anything. The current stats are not enough. I had though of using additional stats also as you mentioned, including Evade Attack, Magic Defence, etc...
    Anyway, just relax a bit till the 14th. My exams will get over and I'll be working full time on this project and hopefully release a beta version within one week... if God willing

My exams start within one week!
    THE TIME/WEATHER IS

the port in use problem only occurs if the selected port is actually in use by another application. you can actally change this port in the source code i posted to any port that is available. I cant really remember if it needs to be a specific port, but i can check for you as i still have the source code at home. If it doesnt have to be a specific port, then i have a function i can add that will get the next available port on the host machine and use that, thus preventing that error from showing up again. ill see what i can do....and sorry for not replying for so long. ive just had other things on my mind.
    Get Quoted:

"If Shane Warne had given his mobile phone to Russell Crowe, neither of them would be in trouble."
    "She has more troubles than a centipede with its legs crossed."
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite Government program."

Thumbs up Re: Chess RPG - an RPG based Chess Game

Hello, everyone. I recently had the idea of creating a RPChess game and so was searching the internet for some resources. I have read this thread and really like what you are doing here. I have not downloaded the source, or messed with the alpha yet, but it is intriguing. There are many ways that this project you are working on is like the idea I had, but there are also many ways it is different. I'm not sure how old this project is now, or if you guys still need help, but I would be glad to offer some suggestions and feedback on your progress. I can even do some coding, and I'm not too bad with MS Paint myself, but I typically use PhotoShop , I have also dabbled in audio production, and graphic design. So let me know...

... in the mean time, keep up the good work.

Re: Chess RPG - an RPG based Chess Game

Not exactly what I had in mind, but at least it shows you are a thinking man. I would make the game, 3D , give the pawn the same movement abilities as the king, only with a different set of values (rank points) in the game. Make the players people, named after the USA coins. Abe, Tom, Frank, George, and John. I would multiply the coin values, by 100, The players would all be representative of these point values. Each interaction withy all other players would therefore create an individual numerical formula, equalizing fairly large sums of money. With the king and the pawn having the same movement capacities, all the imaginary 3D grid cubes of an absolute cyber infinity would be accomplished, both by the chess pieces (players), and the coins. THE COINS, WOULD BE REPRESENTED BY THE SELECTION OF ONE OF 5 OPTIONAL CHESS PIECES CHARACTERS. Each PIECE IS NAMED FOR THE COINS WHICH GIVE THEM THEIR POINT VALUES. Therefore, you are playing a 3D chess rpg, with the names of the characters, being rated by the coins. Thereby if there is an action between a king, a bishop, and a pawn, the point value for this scenario would be 50+25+1=76 Add colors, add a selection of 10 possible colors for each cube, and you then have a 3D infinite cyber universe. being populated a never ending influx of militaries. As cyberspace, is infinite, base ten mathematics is infinite, and the number of possible combinations are infinite. You have just created, a 3D variable, wherein, the parameters are that of a never-ending imaginary universe. You could have two levels. The free version, and the premium (paid) version. You could literally name the currency of this universe to be called "POINTS" The coins themselves would be named ABE, TOM,FRANK,GEORGE,AND JOHN. Their point value ,respectively would be, 1.00/5.00/10.00/25.00/50.00 POINTS You could make the game a positive interactive game, and still retain the military chain of command, and the war could be a literal "WAR ON POVERTY". (WOP). as the possibilities for movement is now infinite, the point values can be based on interaction , alone, regardless of campaign, or movement. There would be no killing, only capturing. Much the way a corporation does either friendly takeovers, or hostile takeovers, or any merger in between. The interactive possibilities, are endless. Thereby the potential for an augmented reality game is absolute. The chain of command, would always be a single string of 5 characters, 1/5/10/25/50 POINTS. The only pieces which are gender specific, are the queen and king. Each having a point value of 50. The other pieces in the chain of command are not gender specific. This way you can have an all female, chain of command (5 pieces), or an all male chain of command, (5 pieces), or any combination of the aforementioned, (5 pieces). The point value would remain the same. The queens name would be LIBERTY. (The walking liberty half dollar piece multiplied by 100=50.00) Game could be interdimensional, in a multiverse. The points, would be tracked as a stock market. ( http://www.EmpireKred.com ), will be the example you will need to check by joining. I am there as chicogringo. Your militia would get POINTS For every interaction in cyberspace, by linking your game to each and every media available. (the more the merrier). This will create an augmented reality game. (a mixture of fantasy roleplay and real time/real life effects of interaction. You will need to join me on EKred in the link above to understand this interactive augmentation stock market. This makes the game , no longer a contest to be won or lost, but a system for tracking augmentation levels in your reality. it is not about competition in the game, it is simply about knowing where you are in your own real life. I just finished building one of these augmented groups. There are 5 OFFICERS WORTH A TOTAL OF 91.00 POINTS. THERE ARE 492 AUGMENTED PLAYERS AT THIS POINT IN THE REAL/GAME TIME,AS THEY ARE THE SAME IN AUGMENTED REALITY.. This is just one chain of command (5 piece team). don't HATE ON MY GRAMMAR, I WILL PROOF READ THIS LATER.

You are stalled, you are conflicted, your stalled because you are conflicted. The conflict is in your perception of GAME TIME/REALTIME. Is this game going to be 3D? Are you intentionally attempting to build a waste of time? If so how did you come up with a game concept, which has so much potential. I have been doing this concept, alone, in 3D augmented reality, since 1985. You are the first person, in all those years, whom understands, "chess can be a great role play game, (RPG). I DOWNLOADED YOUR ZIP FILE. How far along are you in the programming, and design of this game? Where is that data? Are you using a spreadsheet to create a 3D game? (you should be). Spreadsheet is a totally alterable, format for writing anything you want to write. Not only alterable, but serves as a completely repairable record of all your infinite grid coordinates. The only reason I am offering you this info, is because I don't know how to code. If I knew code, I would simply write every keystroke myself. My name is Chico but you can call me Chico.

Re: Very Interesting

I want to follow your interest in this game development.

I came here at the time of this post, because I was looking for A TUTORIAL, ON HOW TO CODE THIS EXACT GAME. I KNOW IT IS CORRECT BECAUSE IT IS THE SAME ONE I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR SINCE 1985. I HAVE IT STORED, SOMEWHERE, BUT I AM HAVING TROUPLE FINDING IT. When I find it I will post a link to the you tube video course.

I just noticed how old this thread is. Has this been cancelled, ignored, finished, etc. Please post. As for your offer to help code a chess game, I am building one and need a programmer. if you are still interested in this project, you may be interested in mine also.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123