Thread: extract icons for My Computer, network connection, folder etc.

Question

Does anybody know how to extract the icons used for the standard objects like My computer, network drive, disconnected network drive, Hard Disk, floppy, CD etc. and add them to an imagelist?
    I managed to extract the icons associated to a file, and display it in a picturebox, but I would also like to add them to an imagelist (in all sizes available 16*16, 32*32 etc)

Any help is appreciated.

Frans

They're all stored in shell32.dll (or possibly cool.dll).
    Use Microangelo (http://www.impactsoft.com/muangelo/muangelo.html) to get the icons out of the file and then just import them as .ico files

Also have a look at http://www.vb-world.net/tips/tip136.html (and the comments!) - Think these articles are getting round to doing it all at runtime

I don't want to create .ico files. I want to extract them in code, so the icons used are always the same as used on that computer. I know some of these are stored in Shell32.dll, but how do I know (from code) which icon index is which icon. Also I noticed the My Computer icon on my desktop is not the same as the my computer icon in shell32.dll. I need to find out which icon is actually used on the user's computer (the file name and the icon index).

Addicted Member
    Here's some constants where the registry seems to store the location of icons (some programs such as microangelo can change these icons so by checking with the registry you can ensure you're extracting the desired icon)

Public Const REG_SHELL_ICONS = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Shell Icons"
    Public Const REG_MYCOMPUTER_ICON = "CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon"
    Public Const REG_CONTROLPANEL_ICON = "CLSID\{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon"
    Public Const REG_PRINTERS_ICON = "CLSID\{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon"
    Public Const REG_DIALUPNETWORKING_ICON = "CLSID\{992CFFA0-F557-101A-88EC-00DD010CCC48}\DefaultIcon"
    Public Const REG_RECYCLE_ICON = "CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\DefaultIcon"

What I've been fooling around with is first by checking in REG_SHELL_ICONS for any overriding icons. For example, lets say in my system I made my own icon for folders (which I have). in the REG_SHELL_ICONS section of the registry there will be a new key labeled with the value of the icon it's replacing's index. For example, closed folders icon is shell32.dll, 3 and open folder is shell32.dll,4 ... therefore in REG_SHELL_ICONS there with be 2 new values like follows:

3="C:\My Files\MyClosedFolder.ico"
    4="C:\My Files\MyOpenFolder.ico"

So by using api calls you can check these first, and if they don't exist then you simple extract the icons from shell32.dll.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific and don't have any examples just yet, the code I have is still very disorganized and has some bugs.

Here's the api's you may want to look into though...

'API Declarations: Icons
    Public Declare Function DrawIconEx Lib "user32" (ByVal hdc As Long, ByVal xLeft As Long, ByVal yTop As Long, ByVal hIcon As Long, ByVal cxWidth As Long, ByVal cyWidth As Long, ByVal istepIfAniCur As Long, ByVal hbrFlickerFreeDraw As Long, ByVal DIFlags As Long) As Long
    Public Declare Function DestroyIcon Lib "user32.dll" (ByVal hIcon As Long) As Long
    Public Declare Function ExtractIconEx Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ExtractIconExA" (ByVal lpszFile As String, ByVal nIconIndex As Long, phiconLarge As Long, phiconSmall As Long, ByVal nIcons As Long) As Long
    Public Declare Function SHGetFileInfo Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "SHGetFileInfoA" (ByVal pszPath As Any, ByVal dwFileAttributes As Long, psfi As SHFILEINFO, ByVal cbFileInfo As Long, ByVal uFlags As Long) As Long

'API Declarations: System Information
    Public Declare Function GetDriveType Lib "kernel32" Alias "GetDriveTypeA" (ByVal nDrive As String) As Long
    Public Declare Function GetSystemDirectory Lib "kernel32" Alias "GetSystemDirectoryA" (ByVal lpBuffer As String, ByVal nSize As Long) As Long
    Public Declare Function GetWindowsDirectory Lib "kernel32" Alias "GetWindowsDirectoryA" (ByVal lpBuffer As String, ByVal nSize As Long) As Long

'API Declarations: Registry
    Public Declare Function RegCloseKey Lib "advapi32.dll" (ByVal hKey As Long) As Long
    Public Declare Function RegOpenKeyEx Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias "RegOpenKeyExA" (ByVal hKey As Long, ByVal lpSubKey As String, ByVal ulOptions As Long, ByVal samDesired As Long, phkResult As Long) As Long
    Public Declare Function RegQueryValueEx Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias "RegQueryValueExA" (ByVal hKey As Long, ByVal lpValueName As String, ByVal lpReserved As Long, lpType As Long, lpData As Any, lpcbData As Long) As Long

'Constants used with API's (*Note)
    Public Const MAX_PATH = 260
    Public Const DI_NORMAL = &H3
    Public Const HKEY_CURRENT_USER = &H80000001
    Public Const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002
    Public Const HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT = &H80000000
    Public Const KEY_WRITE = &H20006
    Public Const REG_SZ = 1
    Public Const FILE_ATTRIBUTE_ARCHIVE = &H20
    Public Const FILE_ATTRIBUTE_COMPRESSED = &H800
    Public Const FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DIRECTORY = &H10
    Public Const FILE_ATTRIBUTE_HIDDEN = &H2
    Public Const FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL = &H0
    Public Const FILE_ATTRIBUTE_READONLY = &H1
    Public Const FILE_ATTRIBUTE_SYSTEM = &H4
    Public Const SHGFI_ATTRIBUTES = &H800
    Public Const SHGFI_DISPLAYNAME = &H200
    Public Const SHGFI_EXETYPE = &H2000
    Public Const SHGFI_ICON = &H100
    Public Const SHGFI_ICONLOCATION = &H1000
    Public Const SHGFI_LARGEICON = &H0
    Public Const SHGFI_LINKOVERLAY = &H8000
    Public Const SHGFI_OPENICON = &H2
    Public Const SHGFI_PIDL = &H8
    Public Const SHGFI_SELECTED = &H10000
    Public Const SHGFI_SHELLICONSIZE = &H4
    Public Const SHGFI_SMALLICON = &H1
    Public Const SHGFI_SYSICONINDEX = &H4000
    Public Const SHGFI_TYPENAME = &H400
    Public Const SHGFI_USEFILEATTRIBUTES = &H10
    ' *Note: These are not all constants available for assosiated API's, just the ones
    ' that are used by this and coresponding modules.

Type SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES
    nLength As Long
    lpSecurityDescriptor As Long
    bInheritHandle As Boolean
    End Type

Public Type SHFILEINFO
    hIcon As Long ' Icon Handle
    iIcon As Long ' Econ index
    dwAttributes As Long ' Flags
    szDisplayName As String * MAX_PATH ' Path
    szTypeName As String * 80 ' File Type
    End Type

Remember to DestroyIcon() after extracting it to free up resources. What I did was extract icons, draw them into a picturebox with the picturebox's backcolor=treeview.backcolor and then add the picture to a listbox who'd maskcolor = that backcolor.

Good luck
    Micah Carrick
    Visual Basic 6 SP5
    Visual Basic.NET
    Quixotix Software
    micah@quixotix.com
    Download QCM 1.0 - Intelligent ActiveX Control Management

That's what I was afraid of. It turns out to be some serious registry hacking. The keys you supplied are the keys for the default icons. The actually used icons are in HKEY_CURRENT_USER and in different locations for NT4 and Win 2000. So I have to check all windows versions for the registry key, or accept to display the default icons.
    I was hoping for some api function to call for the associated file and icon index.

Thanks for the information.