dcsimg

Thread: What makes a community?

What makes a community?

Not pop up adds im sure.
    I don't understand what the big deal is... what has gotten so bad that everyone wants to leave? I have been concidering it today only because all of the negativity that has been in the air about the goings on lately. I know we were all up in arms but what really has changed? The only thing I can see are some silly banners that I don't even notice anymore (except when they lock up my browser). This message board is nothing but a collection of peoples posts... OUR posts. We are who make VBF what it is and what it wll be... once that changes then the board will change but only then. Except for everyone complaining I haven't noticed a difference.
    Sorry for the 'rant'.
    Michael
    I'm off to GalahTech, hope to see you there.

If you don't like the rules they make, refuse to play their game. -- Steve Ignorant.

Getttin sued for using your own code you post here as it becomes thier property.
    Gary Lowe
    VB6 (Enterprise) SP5
    ADO 2.6
    SQL Server 7 SP3

OK I know my spelling and grammer is crap so don't quote me on it!

To err is human to take the P! is only natural !!

Click on the top section of image for Marcus Miller website and bottom section of image for 'Run For Cover' sound clip

Originally posted by Gary.Lowe
    Getttin sued for using your own code you post here as it becomes thier property.
    But didn't we get that taken care of?

If you don't like the rules they make, refuse to play their game. -- Steve Ignorant.

Ooh didn't hear about.

Party time then
    Gary Lowe
    VB6 (Enterprise) SP5
    ADO 2.6
    SQL Server 7 SP3

OK I know my spelling and grammer is crap so don't quote me on it!

To err is human to take the P! is only natural !!

Click on the top section of image for Marcus Miller website and bottom section of image for 'Run For Cover' sound clip

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...hreadid=215703
    Whether it really happened or not I am not sure yet but I trust plenderj & MartinLiss.
    That (the code ownership), people getting banned, and the 'no more non-vb threads' is what bothered me but as far as I can tell it is going on as ever, the only thing wrong is every one being upset.

i think the idea that this sites grown so large is because there werent any major adds and its was a place where people could learn about VB and everything else. but now it isnt about people learning, its about people making money. i understand that the sites needs some kind of adds to keep it running, but the whiole feel has been lost.

just my thoughts

Originally posted by john tindell
    i think the idea that this sites grown so large is because there werent any major adds and its was a place where people could learn about VB and everything else. but now it isnt about people learning, its about people making money. i understand that the sites needs some kind of adds to keep it running, but the whiole feel has been lost.

just my thoughts
    While I do respect that... be honest, is that one ad (I know they are at the bottom as well but who scrolls down that far) really that much of a problem? Every other source I use is chock full of adds...

yer your right, but they really didnt make an effort to make it part of the design. it would be tonns better if they put it where karls book add was.

Originally posted by john tindell
    yer your right, but they really didnt make an effort to make it part of the design. it would be tonns better if they put it where karls book add was.
    but this way when you are typing the reply you can scroll down just a bit and it is gone but you still have the header w/the links.

Just use AdSubtract and problem solved.
    How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

Global Freelancers | Web Traffic Analyser

Originally posted by GingerNut
    Just use AdSubtract and problem solved.
    I've gotten a few by editing my hosts file (which is what i did in 'the good ol days' when we were sponsored by sprinks).
    Last edited by msimmons; Nov 26th, 2002 at 12:48 PM.