dcsimg

Thread: Were should I begin??

Question Were should I begin??

Hello all. I am a network administrator and I would like to learn some Visual Basic programming. I have access to VB6 as well as VIsual Studio .Net, but I not sure which would be a better place for a newbie to start.

What are your recommendations? Should I learn VB6 or should I just start with .Net?

Thank you.

Ren

I say by Visual Basic 6.0...
    Can't Remember Birthdays or Important Dates- Never Miss any Important Date(s)

Why VB 6 ?? Is there some benefit ? Is it easier to use? Are people staying away from .Net?

if you are learning from scratch.. go with VB.NET...

learning VB.NET will give you a better understanding of where the language is going...

but if you are not going to have the framework installed on the machines you administer... then it won't do you much good..

i think one of the biggest problems with people moving from VB6 to VB.NET is not the differences in syntax/language but the difference in the thought process for programming... with VB.NET opening new doors like inheritence and multithreading most VB6 only developers move to VB.NET still coding in VB6 style which won't allow them to take advantage of the enhanced features of VB.NET
    Using VS.NET 2013/.NET 2.0 through 4.5 * Please mark you thread resolved using the Thread Tools above
    PLEASE INDICATE WHAT VERSION OF VB YOU USE!!!!!!!!!!!
    * If you found a post useful then please Rate it! * DO NOT PM ME WITH LINKS TO YOUR THREADS FOR ANSWERS PLEASE!

Code Bank:Manipulate HTML Page content in the Web Browser Control from VB - Drag Drop from Windows into Win Form - Launch new default browser instance to open URL - Display Internet Image in Picturebox - Download Files From Web With Progress Bar - IP Textbox User Control - Installing .NET Framework with INNO Setup
    ZerosAndTheOne.com
    -=Matt=-

I was told by a VB programmer that if I learned VB 6 it would be the same as learning ASP. Is this true? How does asp.net fit in with VB .Net?

Sorry for all the kiddie type questions, but I need the advice.

Originally posted by razorren
    I was told by a VB programmer that if I learned VB 6 it would be the same as learning ASP. Is this true? How does asp.net fit in with VB .Net?

Sorry for all the kiddie type questions, but I need the advice.
    well ASP (Which is all server side coding) is primarily done with VBScript which is a watered down version of the VB language...

ASP.NET however is much different..

i personally think ASP coding is horrific because you have to mix your ASP code with HTML and Javascript and VBScript and it gets messy.. i have not dabbled in ASP.NET yet.. but i hear it is much easier.. like your HTML and CODE are kept seperate.. and forms are made via a drag and drop GUI like VB unlike traditional ASP
    Using VS.NET 2013/.NET 2.0 through 4.5 * Please mark you thread resolved using the Thread Tools above
    PLEASE INDICATE WHAT VERSION OF VB YOU USE!!!!!!!!!!!
    * If you found a post useful then please Rate it! * DO NOT PM ME WITH LINKS TO YOUR THREADS FOR ANSWERS PLEASE!

Code Bank:Manipulate HTML Page content in the Web Browser Control from VB - Drag Drop from Windows into Win Form - Launch new default browser instance to open URL - Display Internet Image in Picturebox - Download Files From Web With Progress Bar - IP Textbox User Control - Installing .NET Framework with INNO Setup
    ZerosAndTheOne.com
    -=Matt=-

I think that the answer may lie in what you ultimately wish to achieve.
    If you want to create programs that have a stronger Internet influence then .NET is probably the way to go (also for the reason that VB as we know it will be replaced eventually by VB.NET).
    Note eventually - that does not mean soon!

However, if you want to merely dabble a little and create some basic desktop apps or utilities then VB is about as easy as it gets.

Why not try both, and see which one may suit you better?

VB.NEt can be obtained from MS as a time limited download.
    Some days you're the dog,
    and some days you're the hydrant.

VB6 Enterprise

Well, my company has quite a number of legacy app's that are running on an IBM AS400 (written in Cobol and RPG). However, As400 programmers are becoming fewer and fewer and there are many application voids that need to be filled. I would like to create applications that can run on a windows desktop but I am also more interested in having stuff be more web based.

In a nut shell, most of the applicaions that I am looking at creating will be forms for collecting data and them posting the data to a SQL database. Nothing too fancy at first.

I am not really interested in learning asp if I don't have to, but I am excited in learning VB6 or VB .Net.

I think that the answer may lie in what you ultimately wish to achieve.
    PhilRob56 is right on the money. Most people get into vb for the sql database stuff. I think that one option that a lot of people overlook is starting with MSAccess. I used Access for about 2 years for building db apps. After that I switched to vb. It took me a lot of time to learn what little I know about vb but moving to a sql server was fairly easy. I think most people miss this because they try to learn both vb and database design at the same time. Sadly the database design is usually the most overlooked. By starting with Access, I found that when I went to vb I had to learn to build interfaces by code and that was hard. However, I think that the time I spent in Access taught me more solid database design because I wasn't spending all of my time learning how to code the interfaces. I would say spend 6 months building a database in Access. Learn about database design and then move into .Net or vb for building interfaces and then move upto a sql server.