Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zelda III Online

Ok...

LOL I accidently click Submit before I was Done... so Read the POST Down their

|
    |
    V
    Last edited by flame_211; Jan 15th, 2002 at 08:10 PM.
    Reach me at:
    AIM: FlameWide
    AIM: Itz deep6
    MSN/Email: flame_gandalf@hotmail.com

Check out these sites:
    My Blog

Ok...

I never really enjoyed FF at all lol...

My brother was playing it the otherday and I just thought..Wel I dont know what I was thinking (Usually dont)

Any ways I am glad you are ok with the Guild/Team/Village idea...

Cander- Im sure if you joined your skills would not be wasted...

-Andrew

P.S. I really think this thing has a shot at becoming REALLY Real...

I dont want this to go under like all the other Games/Programs Ive seen...
    Reach me at:

Check out these sites:
    My Blog

Re: Ok...

Originally posted by flame_211

Cander- Im sure if you joined your skills would not be wasted...

P.S. I really think this thing has a shot at becoming REALLY Real...

I dont want this to go under like all the other Games/Programs Ive seen...
    Yes i'm sure we can use everyone who joins!

And me too, I think we can really get a good game finished together!

Good..

I am glad you agree...

-Andrew
    Reach me at:

Check out these sites:
    My Blog

Allright, let's talk about how the game should be then.

• I think we should not make realtime fights, because this may be bad for people with slower connections. As in UO characters should automatically attack their target so the player just has to select who to attack.
    • There will be different weapons that cause different amounts of damage.
    • Also will should have a level of experience. From this value we can also calculate the hitpoints, strength and anything other... (Yes this is a simple system, but we can always extend it later)
    • There will be items like healing potions, different armors you can wear, magical amuletts (ie. a fireball spell) and many others I can't list here

(to be continued..)

Zaei
    You should allow players to script combat behavior. This way, if someone has a slow connection, the HP packet might not get through, and they wont be able to accuratly judge how badly they are doing. Instead, allow small uploads of a script that would make certain descisions server side, to run if HP is less then 30%, etc. These would be extremely limited scripts, but would level out the difference between high and low pings.

Z.

You mean you just select how your player reacts? Thats a bit too easy for everyone, isn't it? And if you allow them to write scripts it's like 'the better you code the better you fight' ...

However, I actually dont want to waste server memory with this .. so better make just one good player AI that you can setup to your needs.

DaoK
    I think we should have many world. Like for person < 500, between 500 and 1000 ... Like that person who have 35000 exp will not be able to kill a person with 100exp

I agree...

I agree with you DaoK...

We should have different worlds, then maybe put
    each on a seperate sever...

-Andrew
    Reach me at:

Check out these sites:
    My Blog

Thats not needed, we can do it just as in Anarchy.. people with too different levels can't fight.

DaoK
    humm ok but how the map will be divided ? I think we should lock some place that only Higher level will be able to access... like that we will be able to add some place all the time ( like upgrade ) and like that the game will never have an end.

Zaei
    Not the better you code. Make the scripts extremely simple:
    Code:
    IfLifeIsLessThenPercent(30, "Run");
    IfEnemyRangedAttack("MoveIn");
    Think Baldurs Gate. You would supply several generic scripts with the game, and allow users to select one if they want to.

Z.

might be good to implement them now, rather than later, seems like a good idea, will let the user customize a bit too.

when do we actually get started?

Make the scripts extremely simple:
    Think about 80% of all players.. they'll not want to script coz 'its too hard' even if they didnt try ... And I really dont think players should be able to write anything by themselves.

---

Worlds can simlpy be divided by script: (this is a working script from my current script system)

Code:
    OnEnter
    {
       If( Bigger( Player.Level, 10 )
       {
          Teleport( Player, "map0102" );
       } else {
          Message( Player, "You cannot pass this point before reaching level 10!" );
       }
    }

Anyone know some good tutorials on using tile systems with DX? Id like to start researching how to do this.
    Stack Overflow
    See the features of Visual Studio 2010 and C# 4.0: The 10-4 show on Channel9

DaoK
    I do not understand the thing about script?

It's a tile-script that is called as soon as a player walks on it. It's a teleporter that only teleports players with level > 10, others get the message.

Cander: Maybe you can find something here

DaoK
    Should we have a limit of game play each day ?

No.. maybe a limit of maximum users but no time limit to each

Hmm...

Maybe...

Maybe a limit of Max users per Server, and then have a few servers... But not at the early stages, we aint rich or anything... And Im sure after the game is developed
    we could get enough money from advertising to pay for a couple of servers...

Just a thought,

-Andrew
    Reach me at:

Check out these sites:
    My Blog

DaoK
    What going on if someone kill me ? He take 1/4 of my money? or something like that ? If we loss money we should have a "bank" to store stuff.

I do not see where is the fun without any level to reach. You know the best Zelda 8 bits ( Nintendo ) We have like 9 level to finish the game. Well we need something like that to keep the game attracting because after sometime the game will be very simple and will stop play the game. I think we should talk about what the game will be.

I think we should talk about what the game will be.
    Yes, indeed. We should split up in 2 teams, one that develops the technical background (engines and stuff) and one that cares about a story, gameplay and game rules (properties, skills, objects and such). Of course we have to work side by side and the programmers also want to give their ideas for the game - but just to have someone dedicated for this stuff.

I do not see where is the fun without any level to reach. [...]
    Sure we need "levels" but thats nothing for long time. It's like in UO, when you first enter the game there's so much to explore. And after some time it's just like normal and you don't care anymore. Later in the game people only do PvP or talk to each other as in a chat ... I don't think we can do anything against that, but a good thing is to extend the world step by step, create new monsters for the advanced players and new weapons and probably new skills for the grandmasters.

Umm...

How are we gonna decide whose on what team?
    I think all of us atleast have some skill in programming...

Maybe we should also alternate what the teams do,
    Like one week Team one does programming and the next
    they work on the backstory/rules

And then they would start off where the other team left off

-Andrew
    Reach me at:

Check out these sites:
    My Blog

Anyone ever tried Ragnarok Online? It seems like the basic concept of what were aiming at and it's free too.

http://www.ragnarokonline.com/en/r_main.htm

I played it a little didn't really do much, but it's got good graphics i would say and works pretty well.

Just thought i would share that with you guys

When do we start again or are we still in talking stages?

Fanatic Member
    I just found this post, but I would like to get involed. I have limited direct x programing skills.

One idea for the levels, has anyone played Diablo 2? If not, he's how they work levels: Anyone may enter any area of the game they wish, aslong as they have completed certin quests. For example, you may travel any of act 1 (the first 'level') that you wish, but to move to act 2, you must kill a certin monster (logicly called an act boss). This may work for this game too. You may also want to include difficulties, so once you complete all the acts, you can keep playing in harder areas. In diablo 2, you must complete act 5 (the last act) to advance from normal to nightmare, then you must again complete act 5 to move to hell. Once you complete act 5 normal, you may also play in "hard core" mode, where you only get one life, instead of infinte.

I don't know for sure how much of this would be useful, but it would work for the basic level idea, although you may need to make it so that you save the characters (if it isn't already planned). I don't feel like reading the 90+ posts already in this thread.
    Involved in: Sentience

Zaei
    Ew, not Diablows 2 =). I have a personal bias against it, but that doesnt change the fact that the game was not worth the time spent on it.

If the game is going to be massivly multiplayer, you dont want people getting some kind of message saying that they cant go someplace because of their level, or they didnt kill a boss, or what have you. Its an alternate reality. If you dont want to fight the Level 85 Death Doom Guard of Hell, you go around, or decide to come back at level 86.

There was a really simple reason for Diablo I's immense success. It was a simple game. You COULD sit down for 5 minutes and play a while. There was no complicated storyline that you had to follow, or anything like that. The only improvement Diablo 2 made over that was the addition of the Run feature. The addition of the over reaching plot line took all of the mindless fun away. They also dumbed the game down, so it wasnt scary at all (you could play Diablo in the dark, and be scared). I will admit, that I lost a lot of sleep with Diablo 2, but, to be perfectly honest, after beating it 6 times, it got boring. The Stress Test was more fun, because of the lack of story line.

I dont want to turn this thread into a Diablo 2 argument, so I wont reply to any further posts on the subject =). Just read the second paragraph =).

Z.

Fanatic Member
    I tend to agree that Diablo 2 gets boring after a while.

One quick question, what type of game will this be? I know it will be Massily Mutiplayer, but will it be an RPG or a Shoot 'em up type of game (such as 1st person shooter).

If it is an RPG, then you need an ultimite goal. This is such as Diablo 2.
    If it is a shoot 'em up game, then there is no need for differnt levels (just have a big area with limited boundryes.) This is such as Tribes.

As for the scripting, you would really need to allow it (as it makes for a much funner game) but it would be limited (to avoid cheating). Look at Tribes, if you have the knowladge, you can script rotines to allow for much easier player, or you can just go download someone elses, then you get the ease, with out the difficult programming (as there is no listing of commands).

I also feel that there should be live battles (more then 1-on-1). This would mean anything up to maxplayer-on-1 or 1-on-5, or maxplayer-on-50, ect. (such as diablo 2 does it). This would make the game harder, but as stated below, would make it harder for people with bad connections.

As for anti-PVP:
    1) place a minium level cap for people to go hostile agaist a player (such as the lower level player much be level 10, unless the lower level player goes hostile to any player in the game (above lvl 10) first. This could be done with steps (such as lvl 1 to 10, lvl 10 to 20, lvl 20 to 30, lvl 30 to 50, lvl 50 to 70, lvl 70 to 100, ect). The example uses the steps lvl 1-10 and lvl 10+.
    2) Possibly have/allow differnt types of servers (such as one that has hostility, one that doesn't, and one that it is pure PVP possibly allow bidding on who will win?)

Just for your knowladge, I know how to do the following:
    1) Very good VB programming
    2) Limmited C programming (and C++)
    3) Good HTML
    4) Good/V.good use of Photoshop and Image Ready. (Can't draw though )
    5) OK pearl (web stuff for those who don't know)

A very poor example of what I can do is shown on the Planet Wars webpage, and in the game itself (link below). With Planet Wars, I am working on converting the drawing rotine to C++.

This is becoming a big ass post. And, if I was smart, I should have made this a bunch of differnt posts.

Thanks for your input, Gaming_World!

I also feel that there should be live battles (more then 1-on-1).
    Indeed, this is another point why we couldn't make people disappearing from the world and enter a battle area when they're fighting.

place a minium level cap
    That's ok, something like the <young> status in any online game you can find.

Possibly have/allow differnt types of servers
    ...or different settings for each level. Since our engine will be very flexible we can make towns where you can't fight, land where you can fight monsters, special areas where you can fight players and so on... but of course we could make different servers to split up the bunch.. why not.

btw: You want to join us, Gaming_World?

Fanatic Member
    Yes

Originally posted by Fox

...or different settings for each level. Since our engine will be very flexible we can make towns where you can't fight, land where you can fight monsters, special areas where you can fight players and so on... but of course we could make different servers to split up the bunch.. why not.
    that's exactly what happens with the Ragnarok game i posted about. There is a city town area for buying selling and trading and then desert areas to fight NPC's. But we could also have players fight each other.!

Zaei
    If its an MMORPG, you cant have an ultimate goal. Take a look at EQ, for instance. There is no story, and no ultimate goal, and yet it ruins peoples lives because they cant stop playing. If you had an ultimate goal, you would have to reset the game world when it is accomplished. It is a viable option, of course, (I would have like to see it in EQ).

Z.

Like Stickman373 said...

When are we going to start... (not to be pushy or anything )

-Andrew
    Reach me at:

Check out these sites:
    My Blog

my thoughts exactly. We can plan more detail into features as we get to them

Fanatic Member
    You have to have most of the ideas planned out at the beginning. If you don't, you may end up spending weeks or months adding in a few new features.

Fanatic Member
    As for the ultimite goal, just have a reset time. Then, when a major event happens (such as when a main monster is killed), you respawn the monster after the time passes.

Gaming_World...

The thing is, I think that it has been decided that we will split into two groups, one for programming and then one to come with game rules, characters, levels, and the basics like that...

-Andrew
    Reach me at:

Check out these sites:
    My Blog

Fanatic Member
    I know, but you need to know all of the major things that will be in the game. This is such as the characters, levels, a good system of rules (to make it easier to impletement them later, possibly using scripts), any thing to get to certin areas, and other stuff like that.

DaoK
    We will have some choice of heros ? or all Zelda will lokok that same ?

Quote from site 1:
    Like in other online games people can chose their own clothes, buy them in-game respectively.
    Well about the body, we should probably allow people to select from 2 (male/female) or more models..

DaoK
    We should start to have a "paper" who will contain all idea.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast